Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-09-2017, 13:01   #1

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47
Did Irma Wreck the Rigging?

I wasn't there to see the 100 knot gusts hammer my boat. I see the sunken boats all over the marina and I have a two-foot-long hole at my hull-deck joint where the boat hammered a piling while apparently displacing my carefully-arranged fenderboard. GEICO has been great so far re. repair.

I can see that my Genoa halyard is frayed at one of the lower spreaders and I will replace it. My question to you old salts is: "Should I replace all of my running rigging after what it has been through?" My brand-new dock lines are as stiff in places as a pool cue from incredible loads. While the running rigging did not support the weight of the boat they were subjected to huge winds and, I assume, vibration.

Should I be concerned about the standing rigging? The mast and boom?

Thanks for your thoughts
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging