Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2017, 01:04   #16

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Did Irma Wreck the Rigging?

I wouldn't be too worried about it, the high vibrations won't have been wonderful for it, but the failure is more usually related to cloride stress corrosion cracking rather than pure fatigue. If you stick with the normal 10 year replacement interval and regular detailed inspections you will be one up on many owners who never inspect the rigging properly.
Old 27-09-2017, 08:06   #17

Cool Re: Did Irma Wreck the Rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
My rigging was taken out by winds in BVI (Road Town)..... I would definitely inspect as before there is total failure, there likely is micro damage . Inspect very closely.
We too are in RT at Village Cay and still afloat!....we need to completely replace our rig..We always have a complete rig inspection every year but this year since you too are ONE of the lucky ones have it checked VERY closely.
Where R U moored?
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 08:25   #18

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Saba50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
My rigging was taken out by winds in BVI (Road Town)..... I would definitely inspect as before there is total failure, there likely is micro damage . Inspect very closely.
Deep Cut....our cat, the Tennessee Waltz is at Nanny Cay, on the hard. Have not yet heard from a surveyor. We know we have lost the mast, but she is still on her jacks. We got two notices from our "find me spot" device....movement. We have seen pics and know she stayed on the jacks, but may have shifted. We also lost our solar panels and at least one stanchion. Hoping there has been no water damage. We are insured by Pantaenius....hoping to hear from them soon. BTW, have not seen pics since Maria..hoping that there has been no further damage.
sandymwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 14:03   #19

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Coming from another pilot, GA, that is scary ugly! The video that followed with the glider and military aircraft was worse!

Thanks for giving me nightmares tonight as I know I will have them.
Old 27-09-2017, 15:42   #20

Boat: 2012 Leopard 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
With airplanes it usually stress corrosion cracking, and usually high strength steels, over often decades and billions of cycles.
I'm with Jim, yes rigging may fail in some boats during a hurricane, but I'd bet they are usually boats that sit at anchor, don't sail, and the rigging is decades old.
Would have failed under sailing stresses, just the hurricane winds stresses came first, or said another way, it had already failed, just took the hurricane winds to bring it down.

All this assumes no aeroelastic movement, aka "flutter" think Tacoma narrows bridge for instance, that can overstress and cause failure.
Flutter is a terrifying phenomena to a test pilot and is not usually survivable, it almost always ends in the aircraft disintegrating. This film and some I have seen of glider wings are the only times I've seen it not go to destruction, I assume it's because the flutter was of relatively low frequency
https://youtu.be/qpJBvQXQC2M
Our rigging failed, boat was 7 years old. Actually, at least 1/2 of the masts failed in Nanny Cay, BVI which was better protected than Road Town. Roofs ripped of catamarans. 60 catamarans flipped over on top of nearby buildings.
I suspect our rig failed from something flying into at 200+ mph. Our Leopard 46 was floating after Irma, Maria did her in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21314386_1662834930406317_6686313441364649610_n.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	156789   Click image for larger version

Name:	roundaboutafter.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	156790  

svRoundAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 13:37   #21

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but how can these strong winds acting on a bare rig over stress standing rigging? If the boat was not knocked down, the stresses suffered by the rigging were less than those experienced in sailing in strong winds and seas. I don't see the problem.

Running rigging, which was the subject of the OP, is a different matter, but other than chafe, even the running rigging should not have suffered from exposure to strong winds.

Impact to the hull is a totally different set of issues, of course.

Jim
I agree with Jim. Loads on the rigging by sailing reefed in 30 knot winds far exceed that for bare poles in 100 knots.

BTW, mine went the Harvey with measured 190+ knot gusts without issue. That said, I replace my standing rigging every ten years regardless. I don't want there to be any issue regarding the mast standing.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging