Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 14:10   #31

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30
Re: Cost of Standing Rigging Repalcement

My marina in St. Leonard, MD charges ::: Rigging – step or unstep mast $300 each way

https://www.flagharbor.com/marine-service
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 14:14   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Damn, $2,400 just to unstep a mast!

Last time I unstepped/stepped (2018, Panama) it was hired crane cost (about $350) plus about 30 minutes of yard crew time to help man the lines. Crane cost was only so high becasue they had to drive an hour to the yard.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 14:40   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
No need to remove the mast for re-rigging.
How are you inspecting the spreader roots and tang bars
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 14:55   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catana 47

Hi all,
Last week a local company here in New Caledonia, not a cheap place were labours are high and everything is imported, unstepped the mast on my Catana 47 and changed all standing rigging, mast head blocks, new dynema main halyard, replacing light bulbs, mast polish and so on for 11 000€. In all, 17 câbles between 8 and 14mm.
regards,
Thomas
Chablis 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 15:55   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Damn, $2,400 just to unstep a mast!

Last time I unstepped/stepped (2018, Panama) it was hired crane cost (about $350) plus about 30 minutes of yard crew time to help man the lines. Crane cost was only so high becasue they had to drive an hour to the yard.
For reference: I replaced all standing rigging (forestay, sidestays, upper & lower diamonds, seagull striker rigging) on a WildCat 35 in 2018 in Panama for under $4K all total including all materials, labor, crane, yard costs. Rigging all ordered from Sailing Services in Ft. Lauderdale.

I did most of the work myself, but I did hire a very experienced rigger friend for guidance and assistance as needed.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 17:38   #36

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36

It sure seems over priced and I thanks for the comments and advice. I will try several other places. There is another in Deltaville. Its not that big a deal to move the boat later this spring and leave it for work in Anapolis or South of me in Hampton or Norfolk. I have heard about Walden rigging, will give them a call. its closer than Anapolis

I wish I had time to do this my self, but I dont. Plan is to head south in the fall so I suppose I can even do it further south. Its not critical, just needs done.

I will post what I find out incase any one is interested.

Thanks
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 19:36   #37

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Jan. 2020.
Beneteau 36 CC
Replaced ALL standing rigging AND ALL running rigging $5500.(Did not pull mast) Professional rigging company. Great reputation.
Ft Meyers,Fl.
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 19:41   #38

I am a rigger and do not see the need to unstep the mast to replace the standing rigging. The cost of your standing rigging parts in Florida would be very close to US$3650, plus labor and any yard costs. I can do this at a mooring, I often do. May I assume the cost you have been quoted includes labor?
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 20:35   #39

Oh hell no that is way to much.
mayberrybfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 23:37   #40

Boat: Viking, 9.4m,

When I had the rigging redone on my 30 ft deck stepped boat (a few yeas ago), it was done while the boat was in the water. I gather each bit was taken off, and replaced one by one,(presumably with the absent line supported by replacement rope for the interim). So no slipping fee and no crane fee - although theoretically the deck stepped mast can be lowered because it is hinged at the tabernacle.
Old 12-03-2020, 23:54   #41

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Well I replaced all 18 wires on my ketch for about $1000 (us$600) but I used gal.

wire and did it all myself. If you're paying someone to do it for you using s/s it's a dirty, difficult, dangerous job, the materials are expensive and it's gonna cost you. I'm only chipping in 'cos doing stuff on a boat isn't like buying a couch from IKEA - if you invest in your skills over time, things become...interesting, experiential and...well...cheaper.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 03:37   #42

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiopirata View Post
I am a rigger and do not see the need to unstep the mast to replace the standing rigging. The cost of your standing rigging parts in Florida would be very close to US$3650, plus labor and any yard costs. I can do this at a mooring, I often do. May I assume the cost you have been quoted includes labor?
Yes, labor was included. If I don't get some better prices up here, I will do it as we head south in the fall. I always heard that boat work was cheaper in the Chesapeake area than most other parts of the country, including FL. It looks like that was just rumor.
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 07:56   #43

I have paid 3000 to step and unstep my mast on a new Yorker 36 in NH
only because the mast is too tall to pass under the bridge. I am looking for alternatives, like healing the boat to reduce the height. Any one with such experience out there, will be greatly appreciated.
George n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 08:16   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripfast View Post
Just recieved a quote for replacement of the standing rigging on my boat. She is an 04 Beneteau 361. I am in the Middle Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia and thought it would be competitive there, But I really dont have any experience in the cost of this work and have nothing to judge it with.

Cost to unstep and restep while on the hard by my yard is around $2,400, cost to repalce the rigging is $6,800. So, $9,200 is my final cost. I really expected less and am surprized.

Do any of you folks have any experience in rerigging similar sized, (36 ft.) sloop rigged boats?

Thanks in advance for your opionions, advice.
I had my mast stepped at Walden’s marine in Deltaville for $450. Had two people assisting for free... keeping the costs of the crane down.
captncrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 08:30   #45

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

An example of a 37' boat in Florida 2017:

We've done it with a yacht club gin pole for $100 a few times, but for our last mast pull we hired a crane to come out to the yard. The crane operator had to drive 35 miles to the marina- he'd only do it if you were able to arrange a time when another boat needed his service (2 jobs in 1)- but then it was just $350 for an hour. We were organized, used the help some friends and finished we'll under an hour both directions for a total cost of $700.

Once the mast was down, we labeled the rigging, coiled it up, and brought it to the rigging company directly. For this rerig we went with swagged fittings top and bottom since we figure this will be our last stainless rig. Rigging price was under $1600 (cutter rigged 37'). Edit: just pulled my invoice and it was $1397.69.

Cleaning, rewiring & lubing are all really easy DIY on newer masts. The only difficulty is with the furler. We used a swaggless fitting on the bottom, and with rotating the foil as we pushed, were able to feed the new wire down without dismantling the foil. (Harken for both furlers).

Maybe just hire the final lift and have it tuned by a professional rigger?

If you needed a rigger, you could hire one for $50 an hour. This was in the Stuart Florida area, but I'm sure similar results could be found up and down the coast.

Matt

Tags
men, rigging