Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2015, 18:26   #1

Boat: Fountain Pajot Orana 44
Cost to replace standing rigging on a 44ft Cat

Just starting to seriously look at costs of a 10-15 yr old 44ft cat. Specifically what has been your all in cost if you replace the standing rigging on say a Lagoon 44.

I know there discussion on when and inspections 10-15-20 yrs but just planning on all in cost & refit as needed to do a good comparison on newer vs older boats. Looking at Owner Version Orana 44s or Lagoon 44s

Thanks in advance!
zerompg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 18:47   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Cost to replace standing rigging on a 44ft Cat

Just remember it is not necessary to replace all the standing rigging all at the same time. We, for example, replaced all the shrouds 1 year, then all the turnbuckles the next year, then the forestay and backstay the following year. It didn't make it any cheaper, but it did defray the cost over 3 years and make it into smaller, more manageable chunks of cash outlay.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 18:49   #3

Boat: Fountain Pajot Orana 44

Great point and I figure not all would need replacing at the same time but budgeting for the entire cost I haven't found anyone's actual/rough numbers.
zerompg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 20:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Depends where you are. I just spent around 10,000 AUD (8000 USD) doing it (including replacing the halyards) on a Belize 43 in Australia.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 21:09   #5

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Depends where you are. I just spent around 10,000 AUD (8000 USD) doing it (including replacing the halyards) on a Belize 43 in Australia.
Did this include the cost of a rigger, or just the materials and you did it yourself (seems a little high for that)?
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 21:22   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Did this include the cost of a rigger, or just the materials and you did it yourself (seems a little high for that)?
That was the totallly cost for the rigger to do everything including removing and re-stepping the mast and re-disconnecting/reconnecting everything (electrics/electronics on the mast, boom, headsails, running rigging). I was busy doing other things.
Old 20-05-2015, 07:57   #7
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Apologizing in advance for not addressing your question, but why would a 10 to 15-year-old sailboat need to replace its standing rigging (mine is 33 years old and will likely outlast me)?
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 08:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
Apologizing in advance for not addressing your question, but why would a 10 to 15-year-old sailboat need to replace its standing rigging (mine is 33 years old and will likely outlast me)?
I think it really depends on where and how hard you plan to use your boat. Many people consider a 10 year replacement as the "SAFE" bet for a boat used in blue water.

I just read that a boat crossing to Marquesis had a double rigging failure. Got lucky and were not dismasted and able to motor the rest of the way, after another jumper transfered fuel to them. Scared the hell out of the other puddle jumpers and everyone is double and tripple checking their rigging now.
Old 20-05-2015, 09:09   #9

In the US some insurance companies are starting to balk at covering costs due to failed rigging when rigging passes 7 years. Mine was about 25 years old. Cost was around 9K US. That included turnbuckles. I also rewired the mast, relit, and had to change out some pulleys. The rig is upgraded a full size all around. The 9k is the rigging and pulleys.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:14   #10

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
80000 U$ are pretty close for a 44 lagoon, i guess they include the diamond shrouds to, most multi owners just replace from time to time the cap shrouds and the forestay wire if they dont found nothing wrong in the diamonds, is up to you but if the diamonds are ok, no cracks in the swage, no discoloration or broken strands you can just replace the cap shrouds and the forestay ... cheers...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:41   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I just replaced all the standing rigging: wire, turnbuckles, tangs, and even chainplates on a 42' cutter rigged monohull in the states. Cost me under $4000 for all the parts. Don't need to drop the mast, just pull and replace one wire at a time.

Rigger said they would do the labor for a few hundre.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I just replaced all the standing rigging: wire, turnbuckles, tangs, and even chainplates on a 42' cutter rigged monohull in the states. Cost me under $4000 for all the parts. Don't need to drop the mast, just pull and replace one wire at a time.

Rigger said they would do the labor for a few hundre.
Thats a good price... Did you buy the stuff online or from a local rigging shop? My plan is to also not drop the mast. Inners, outers and forestay while its still standing (on the hard).
Old 20-05-2015, 09:58   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Thats a good price... Did you buy the stuff online or from a local rigging shop? My plan is to also not drop the mast. Inners, outers and forestay while its still standing (on the hard).
Bought it all from Sailing Services in Miami. They've been in business for over 30 years. When I lived in south Florida they were reputed to be the best in the area. Don't know if they still do this but back then every batch of SS wire they brought in they would take a piece and attach it to a board they kept off a dock somewhere. If any of it started rusting they would recall all of that lot.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 10:22   #14

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Go to this website and figure it out yourself. They are my go-to guys, and have shipped to me overseas.

Sailboat Standing Rigging | RiggingAndHardware.com

On cat, I would throw in the cost of a crane and do the replacement on the ground. Its a lot easier to work on, and should be in the range of $400-$600. Last time I was in Boat Lagoon a Frenchman tried to replace his cat's standing rigging in place and was killed when his stabilizing lines stretched and the mast came down with him at the top.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 22:01   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
Insurance? My insurance policy includes the clause:
"Warranted standing rigging is not exceeding 10 years".

That's not uncommon.

Tags
rigging