Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2020, 09:07   #46

Re: Cost of Standing Rigging Repalcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
How are you inspecting the spreader roots and tang bars
Up on a chair remove and inspect. At a dock, the
mast needs very little support. Running rigging can assist if you are not used to doing this. One item at a time .
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 16:06   #47

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

First off, you can greatly reduce the cost of you can do the following:

Contact Ward RICHARDSON at BENETEAU USA. They can supply a complete package of new rigging. The rigging was made by Seco South. You can also get a price from Jean D’lasandro at Seco South. BENETEAU USA will be cheapest. If you buy on the website. You get an extra discount

Us Spars can supply a new spreader tips.

If you can remove all sails, boom and get the rig ready to lift off you will save $

It should not be more than a hour to un step and about the same to replace. Find a selfhelp yard with a crane

You can change all of the rigging yourself. It is not rocket science.

Then have a rigger check your work

You be able to do it for 4500-5000 at very most
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 06:47   #48

Boat: Hunter 36

Just had a quote on my 2005 Hunter 36 in Punta Gorda, Florida. $4,000 with everything.
Terbtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 06:49   #49

Boat: 53 foot wooden ketch

We just replaced the standing rigging on a Hunter 35.5. Our charges were $1250.00 for labor and $1675.00 for supplies. It took myself and two students two days.
Some yards are overcharging.
CaptBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 07:04   #50

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilothouse Schooner 1984

My Freedom 39 two master schooner was $800 total for pull and restep here in Maryland. Then again there are no wires!
canman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 07:09   #51

Boat: CAL 35 III
Send a message via Skype™ to ejjawhite

The price you were quoted seems very, very unreasonable.
Have someone else drop the mast, remove the stays yourself. Roll them up and send them off to a fabrication shop
Such as ‘Riggingonly.com‘ in Fairhaven, MA
They’ve done work for me and friends at what I thought were reasonable prices.
ejjawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 07:46   #52

Mid Chesapeake Bay, come over to Cambridge Yacht Maintenance. In Cambridge, MD, expert boat yard, fair pricing, they know what they are doing!
msorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 07:55   #53

We have our boat hauled and stored in the yard every winter (37' O'Day) which is very typical here in New England. The haul company brings a crane to the ramp for the day and does many boat, the cost is about $300 to unstep in the Fall and $300 to step in the Spring. I just picked up our new standing rigging last week from riggingonly.com in Fairhaven, MA last week. I had them build new lifelines two years ago and they were excellent.

I got quotes from seven places: MA, RI, CT, MD, FL and rigging only was $1450. the next lowest price was about $2500. Some over $3000.

I talked with Dan at OnlyRigging and he only uses the best quality wire and hardware. He told me the manufacturers but I don't recall the names right now. I dropped off the rigging and it was done less than a week later.

Forestay, backstay, shrounds and four lower shrouds.

Highly recommended.

Kevin
kevincook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 08:12   #54

Boat: Hunter 430
Send a message via Skype™ to Briggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
As Slug and SiberianHusky point out...if the boat is on the hard, then most boat yards would not have a crane with enough reach to unstep the mast. Some of that cost may be for a crane rental..
My 36’ keel stepped mast was removed with a cherry picker on a back hoe while the boat was on the hard. It has a 2m draft BTW. The strop was loose and slid up to the first spreaders, with two guy lines, each with two blokes to stabilise the mast

I joined the local sailing association who had an arrangement with the yard. Total cost, in an out - £50, about $65

Average price in European yards $150 - $300 each way.
Briggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 08:22   #55

Seems high to me. I have an Oceanis 350, which I would assume is similar. Last year I got a quote in Annapolis for rig replacement for $6,000. I am now back in home port in Deltaville Va and am pretty sure I can get it done for a little less than that here.
rnnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 08:40   #56

Boat: Albacore USA 8258; 5o5 USA 8643

I have a question regarding re rigging. Does anyone perform proof load tests on standing rigging to certify its use or continued use?? My background is in ocean / mechanical / material handling machinery engineering and initial proof and recertification load testing is common practice but I don't see it anywhere in the pleasure craft support industry.
teamspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 09:20   #57

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripfast View Post
Just recieved a quote for replacement of the standing rigging on my boat. She is an 04 Beneteau 361. I am in the Middle Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia and thought it would be competitive there, But I really dont have any experience in the cost of this work and have nothing to judge it with.

Cost to unstep and restep while on the hard by my yard is around $2,400, cost to repalce the rigging is $6,800. So, $9,200 is my final cost. I really expected less and am surprized.

Do any of you folks have any experience in rerigging similar sized, (36 ft.) sloop rigged boats?

Thanks in advance for your opionions, advice.

As a comparison, we replaced our rigging on our 41' Hunter 410 with B&R rig deck stepped (no backstay) last year. We were located in Jacksonville FL.

It costs us $450 for a crane to pull the mast, then $100 to store the mast for a month while we had the new rigging made up (we took off the old rigging and sent it to Sailing Services in Miami FL to have copies made and sent back), then another $450 to bring the crane out to re-step the mast.

We paid sailing services ~$3500 for all of the hardware we replaced which was pretty much everything (swaged ends, turn buckles, link plates, cotter pins, etc.). It was very well made and everything worked out well. It took them about a week to make it then ship it to us.

I put all of the wires back onto the mast myself and worked with the crane operator to get the mast back up so I did not have to pay a rigger to help me which is usually a pretty high hourly rate.

I also purchased a Spin Lock wire tension gauge that I used to set the tension on my rigging to get it tuned. It took me about 2 days of tinkering with the tuning to get it right which would have been much faster for a rigger but i didn't mind doing it myself and saved a lot of money. Hunter and Selden have guides for how to tune a Selden rig starting with it on the ground.

I am not sure what you mechanical skill level is so I cannot say how easy it would be for you to do yourself but I can say I am an engineer so I at least had an idea of what it would take before getting into it.

I used online resources like the Selden tips manual and other people to learn everything I needed to know and in the end I realized it wasnt that hard for me.

It was very easy to get the rig down and just involved putting the crane on it which the crane operator mostly handles, then releasing all of the turn buckles and electrical cables in the mast. You need to prep the mast before the crane day by getting all of your running rigging either removed or tied up to the mast. You will also need to remove your boom and set it aside.

Putting the mast back on was a little longer of a process because I was trying to get the wiring to the right tension with the crane but then realized later I could have gotten it up and somewhat tight then tensioned it down later at the dock without the crane. Assuming nice weather and low waves, the rigging only needs to be somewhat tight to hold the mast up.

Keep in mind this was just my experience and yours would likely be different so do your research and do not take my word for it!
feudalkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 09:21   #58

Boat: Express 30

I'm on the bay and my marina charges $350 to pull a stick. Since the job is all labor is your marina claiming it will take them 18-20 hours to pull your rig? $2400 is a giant ripoff.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 09:22   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I would typically do this job with the mast up. Cost is about $5500.
Old 20-03-2020, 10:14   #60

What I did to change the rigging on my KP 44, double spreader cutter, was to leave the mast in place and did it myself. Did so by having a rigger make up the rigging with a sewage on top, as the fitting faces down and little true salt up that high, left bottom blank and used stay-locks there as that allowed for flexibility of length and Staylocks are much more weatherproof that swages. sorry don’t recall the cost but it had to be waaaaay less. A couple grand? Unless you have serious mast or mast step work needed. Why pull the stick. Very involved and expensive.

When in Panama I pulled the stick to Awl Grip it. Was amazingly cheap there. Did the prep myself and paid a painter to shoot it. He charged $350. I bought the paint duty free at the ship chandlery cheap! Used a Scandinavian (Norwegian) LPU still looks good 15 yrs later. No question, the US is expensive for boat work.

I did a lot of work AFTER I started cruising. Just did the essentials to make the boat safe enough to get to good foreign cruising ground. Then did the rest in foreign ports. I even found that I could by lots of cruising gear eg. SSB, scuba gear, etc. from cruiser nets and their information. Ports like Trinidad, Panama and Mexico were great. So if you can safely defer projects, you don’t have to have the “perfect” boat to start cruising.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rigging