Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2017, 10:27   #61
cruiser

Re: Corrosion Stainless vs Aluminum

My 60 euro driver doesn't look any different than the Northern tool $12.95 driver.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 10:34   #62

TWO GUY JOB!

One guy holds the screwdriver with a pair of Channel Locks and applies back-out torque, the other guy taps the screwdriver with a hammer. Like an impact driver but much much more controlled. This technique WILL WORK! usually....

In your situation with an Allen head screw get either an Allen driver with a handle or a magnetic tipped holder that you can put the appropriate tip into.

Was taught this trick by a old aircraft mechanic. I had spent days with PB Blaster and heating with torches trying desperately not to strip the screw head on a thirty year old Harken roller curler that had never been serviced.

Very frustrated, at wits end, guy walks down the dock and starts chatting. Next thing I know screw is removed! Thank you kind stranger!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 10:53   #63

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
TWO GUY JOB!

One guy holds the screwdriver with a pair of Channel Locks and applies back-out torque, the other guy taps the screwdriver with a hammer. Like an impact driver but much much more controlled. This technique WILL WORK! usually....

In your situation with an Allen head screw get either an Allen driver with a handle or a magnetic tipped holder that you can put the appropriate tip into.

Was taught this trick by a old aircraft mechanic. I had spent days with PB Blaster and heating with torches trying desperately not to strip the screw head on a thirty year old Harken roller curler that had never been serviced.

Very frustrated, at wits end, guy walks down the dock and starts chatting. Next thing I know screw is removed! Thank you kind stranger!
Great Tip! I'd forgotten this one.

Also, aren't there pastes which you can apply to screwdriver tips, & allen keys to enhance their grip on/in the head of a fastener? Or if not, might a bit of something akin to a non-slippery lapping compound help with this?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 10:56   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Great Tip! I'd forgotten this one.

Also, aren't there pastes which you can apply to screwdriver tips, & allen keys to enhance their grip on/in the head of a fastener? Or if not, might a bit of something akin to a non-slippery lapping compound help with this?
Toothpaste?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 11:09   #65
cruiser

Quote:
TWO GUY JOB!

That's what we'll do! The €60 impact drive (which hasn't worked so far), is going to be exchanged for a couple of Beta screwdriver sets.

Thanks
Old 28-05-2017, 11:35   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Toothpaste?

No, Comet, Ajax, Bon-Ami etc.
Spit on the end of the screwdriver and dip it in the abrasive cleanser, works way better than diamond coated tips etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 11:40   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Corrosion Stainless vs Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I learned about them from a friend that was one of these can fix anything guys.

Have one that's probably 35 years old. Only problem I have to replace the bits occasionally, especially the flat head bits, and the ones in mine are hex but larger than standard hex driver bits.

Maybe time for a new one. Any recommendations on brands or models?

I hate to admit it, but I've had the same cheapo one for a long time, it's in a blue box just like the Northern tool one.
However for one to work you have to pre-load it by turning it pretty hard in the direction you want the screw to go, then smack it with a hammer, if you don't pre-load it, you will get very little if any turning motion.
Forgot to mention that, sorry Ken.

Oh and of course it will tighten and loosen, to get it to go the right way put it in the screw then push down and turn, think of it as reversing a socket wrench.
Turn it left to loosen and right to tighten of course, you will feel it slip and re-engage.
Old 28-05-2017, 12:21   #68

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Comments on super cooling the bolts with something akin to Freon, & then smacking them with a punch & hammer? Yes, I know, Freon & regulations, the Ozone Layer, etc. Plus you'd have to be careful not to maim the mast tube, but otherwise... Thoughts?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 13:19   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you want to try the freeze method, I bet Ken has a bicycle patch kit that uses a CO2 cartridge, turn it upside down to get the liquid it's cold.

With frozen bolts, you try everything. Sacrifice a chicken if that's your fancy. He is restrained from much heat though with the part being made of plastic
Old 28-05-2017, 13:40   #70
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I hate to admit it, but I've had the same cheapo one for a long time, it's in a blue box just like the Northern tool one.
However for one to work you have to pre-load it by turning it pretty hard in the direction you want the screw to go, then smack it with a hammer, if you don't pre-load it, you will get very little if any turning motion.
Forgot to mention that, sorry Ken.

Oh and of course it will tighten and loosen, to get it to go the right way put it in the screw then push down and turn, think of it as reversing a socket wrench.
Turn it left to loosen and right to tighten of course, you will feel it slip and re-engage.
Good Lord... now you tell me.

I'll try it again in the morning.
Old 28-05-2017, 13:56   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Good Lord... now you tell me.

I'll try it again in the morning.
hahahaha!

Its like half a story because the experts do it all the time and forget some of it...

My favourite wuz an ole fella.. I asked him how tight I turned a bolt.. he looked me in the eye and said " a quarter turn before it snaps".

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 14:02   #72
cruiser

Actually, I just tried pre loading the one I have and it can't be done. Preloaded in the correct direction, the spring snaps and switches direction. It seems impossible to preload with a turn. Or are you talking about minimal pressure? Because if I turn it like a screwdriver to the left, it bears down then changes direction.

OK now that I've messed with it for ten minutes, it appears as though the idiot who assembled this impact hammer put the L-R indicator in upside down, maybe it's an English tool. I'll try it again.
Old 28-05-2017, 14:11   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No, you turn it left while pushing it in and it snaps and rotates quite a bit to the left, now it is ready to loosen a screw bolt whatever.
Now preload it quite a bit to the left, it will turn a little and may shorten itself a little and smack it with the hammer.
To be honest I have just been picking the thing up and doing it since I was 12, so I'm basing this off of memory and I don't have one here to check.
We are packing the house right now.
Old 28-05-2017, 14:14   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We are packing the house right now.
Pleased for you A...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote