Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2017, 14:19   #76
cruiser

Re: Corrosion Stainless vs Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No, you turn it left while pushing it in and it snaps and rotates quite a bit to the left, now it is ready to loosen a screw bolt whatever.
Now preload it quite a bit to the left, it will turn a little and may shorten itself a little and smack it with the hammer.
To be honest I have just been picking the thing up and doing it since I was 12, so I'm basing this off of memory and I don't have one here to check.
We are packing the house right now.
Got it.

I've taken a screen shot of your directions for tomorrows attempt.

Thanks
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 14:43   #77

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
hahahaha!

Its like half a story because the experts do it all the time and forget some of it...
So classic, & so, so true. That's definitely one of those "lost in translation" type things.

My favourite wuz an ole fella.. I asked him how tight I turned a bolt.. he looked me in the eye and said " a quarter turn before it snaps".
Hilarious, & spot on. Thanks for giving me a HUGE grin with this

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 15:51   #78

Quote:
No, Comet, Ajax, Bon-Ami etc.
Spit on the end of the screwdriver and dip it in the abrasive cleanser, works way better than diamond coated tips etc.
Toothpaste has the abrasive component like the above mentioned cleaners but is also a non-Newtonian fluid.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-..._fluid#Oobleck
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 16:00   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Toothpaste has the abrasive component like the above mentioned cleaners but is also a non-Newtonian fluid.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-..._fluid#Oobleck
And it's being a non-Newtonian fluid helps in this situation how exactly? I'm truly in the dark on this bit.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 28-05-2017, 16:06   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't know, maybe when you shock it, it firms up?
It's the grit that provides the bite for the screwdriver though, not the fluid.
Toothpaste is essentially chalk, a tiny bit of soap to make it foam and something to make it taste good, that's it. My Father was a Dentist and of course had to field all the time what's the best toothpaste, he would usually answer baking soda if your trying to get rid of stains.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 16:12   #81

Quote:
I don't know, maybe when you shock it, it firms up?
It's the grit that provides the bite for the screwdriver though, not the fluid.
Toothpaste is essentially chalk, a tiny bit of soap to make it foam and something to make it taste good, that's it. My Father was a Dentist and of course had to field all the time what's the best toothpaste, he would usually answer baking soda if your trying to get rid of stains.
Why baking soda, & what are it's down sides?

Old 28-05-2017, 16:25   #82

"Abrasives constitute at least 50% of a typical toothpaste. These insoluble particles help remove plaque from the teeth. The removal of plaque and calculus helps minimize cavities and periodontal disease.[citation needed] Representative abrasives include particles of aluminum hydroxide (Al(OH)3), calcium carbonate (CaCO3), various calcium hydrogen phosphates, various silicas and zeolites, and hydroxyapatite (Ca5(PO4)3OH)."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toothpaste

Sure, chalk is a form of calcium carbonate. Why don't you chew on a piece of chalk and tell me how lubricious it is?

Oh, BTW, can you guess what the abrasive component of Comet Cleaner is? I bet you can....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(cleanser)
Old 28-05-2017, 16:54   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post

To some it tastes bad, others like to save the money, a box of baking soda will last a real long time.

It is I'm sure slightly more abrasive, and not being a Dentist myself I don't know long time if that is bad.
Old 28-05-2017, 16:55   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Corrosion Stainless vs Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
"Abrasives constitute at least 50% of a typical toothpaste. These insoluble particles help remove plaque from the teeth. The removal of plaque and calculus helps minimize cavities and periodontal disease.[citation needed] Representative abrasives include particles of aluminum hydroxide (Al(OH)3), calcium carbonate (CaCO3), various calcium hydrogen phosphates, various silicas and zeolites, and hydroxyapatite (Ca5(PO4)3OH)."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toothpaste

Sure, chalk is a form of calcium carbonate. Why don't you chew on a piece of chalk and tell me how lubricious it is?

Oh, BTW, can you guess what the abrasive component of Comet Cleaner is? I bet you can....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(cleanser)

Sure, but it's like arguing that 80 grit and 800 grit sandpaper are the same, since they are made from the same stuff.

On edit polish a piece of clear plastic with toothpaste, and then with Ajax, Comet etc and tell me what the difference is.
Old 28-05-2017, 16:58   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Not a ADA approved abrasive.

"Brushing teeth with baking soda has not been approved by the American Dental Association (ADA). It is slightly abrasive and if used repeatedly over time it can weaken tooth enamel, making your teeth more sensitive and vulnerable to dental cavities."
Old 28-05-2017, 17:07   #86

Quote:
Sure, but it's like arguing that 80 grit and 800 grit sandpaper are the same, since they are made from the same stuff.

On edit polish a piece of clear plastic with toothpaste, and then with Ajax, Comet etc and tell me what the difference is.
"Toothpaste has the abrasive component like the above mentioned cleaners but is also a non-Newtonian fluid."

I made an accurate and truthful statement. I sighted references. You didn't like what I said because why? Because you said toothpaste wasn't abrasive but I proved your wrong?

Yes, the theory is when you shock it it firms up, fills gaps, transfers energy. Theory anyway. Sorry I bothered trying to help you guys understand.

Now I am going back to enjoying my rum drink and sunset. Regret trying to elucidate the conversation. Cheers!

P.S. for those who want to learn something about the colloidal silica they are using with their epoxy, read this-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thixotropy
Old 28-05-2017, 17:26   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No, I understood about the non Newtonian fluid.
But so is corn starch and water. I know toothpaste is abrasive, reason it can be used to clean dive masks for instance, however it's abrasive particle size is very small.
With either a standard screwdriver or a hammer impact, there is no space, the "slack" is taken up prior to impact, you preload a hammer impact driver.
Now a regular impact either air or electric, you can't preload, there maybe a non Newtonian fluid may make a difference?
However just how dense does toothpaste get?
Old 28-05-2017, 17:31   #88

Quote:
With either a standard screwdriver or a hammer impact, there is no space
For a seemingly mechanically include guy you surprise me with this statement. I mean slotted screw the case could be made maybe, but.....
Old 28-05-2017, 17:42   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I guess your talking about how a Phillips has a tendency to walk out of the screw head? That is what the aggressive abrasive is for.
I was taught the trick long ago working on OH-58 and UH-1 helicopters, perhaps there is a better substance to use than Comet, Ajax etc., but you will find no shortage of either on a US Army installation.
Marketing opportunity, I bet someone could make money with this, selling a special paste to keep from stripping out screw heads.
But as far as a non Newtonian fluid, I doubt it, reason is just how dense can that stuff get? Dense enough to hold solid against an impact blow?
Old 28-05-2017, 17:44   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Too late, Google screwdriver paste, there are lots. This is one
https://gitta-grip.com

Tags
aluminum, corrosion