Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-05-2023, 04:51   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Chotu's Rigging Thread - Time to Go Fast

as you guys know, I found a great guy for my rigging. Only problem is he bites off way more than he can chew. He has done nothing as far as physical work to get the rig on. He has been organizing lots of things and designing things. And he’s great at that. I could have never known what to do with my rigging without him. So I’m not going to fault the guy. He is very much in demand. He does a lot of stuff. My project is just a side thing for him.

however, at the same time I need this rig done within 30 days. I am devoting myself full-time to getting this rig up and getting this boat sailing in 30 days. No breaks. No weekends. Nothing. 30 days of hell.

sticking points mostly will have to do with other people not me or my Rigger. It will be getting supplies. Getting parts. So I want to get this stuff nailed down now. Before I even start. My deadline is June 30th to sail away.

when you are building a boat you need to go as fast as you possibly can. Otherwise it will take your entire lifetime.

Here are the current sticking points:

1) sheaves. The place that was linked to on this form that I am forgetting the name of took the entire order and just ghosted my guy. We haven’t been able to get the sheaves done and these need to get done now. I need a whole bunch of them. I guess in what, aluminum? Is that the best way? Can you buy these off the shelf?

2) gooseneck. My gooseneck has a crack in it. I need a new one. Can you buy these off the shelf? Or do I have to do custom fabrication?

3) help. i’m not usually one for giving out my location but it’s the outer banks of the Carolinas. Does anyone know of anyone that might be able to come out and work for the month or at least a couple weeks? work would involve drilling holes in the deck, laminating, installing and servicing winches. I can provide a fairly rudimentary place to stay and sleep. On the boat. I will stay in my RV so there will be a sense of privacy there. There are showers. Bathroom off the boat. It’s now at a more normal type of marina area. Restaurants all around. A little bit of epoxy work. But mostly this is just us working together to get this rig up by June 30. it would be a pretty focused month for someone. Especially good for someone who is trying to learn. I don’t think any of these things require advanced skills or many years of experience working on boats. I could train and help you learn how to work on an advanced composite boat within hours.

Anyone have any ideas or input for some of these items? The sheaves, the gooseneck, and maybe some help if I’m lucky?

I will be adding tons of stuff to this thread. Pictures. Everything. All of the rigging of the boat will happen here and there will be 1 million questions and asks for resources. Because it has to go fast. I can only be away from work for one month to do this.

Note: I am about to enter mad scientist mode which is how I get things done. as a former NASA physicist, I’m not actually joking about mad scientist mode. Ha ha. So apologies if I’m a little short or abrupt as I speed through this. I will be taking in all ideas simultaneously, in parallel and with great care I will discount them immediately or go with them immediately. It won’t be too much hemming and hawing on my end to make the decision. Everything will fly. So don’t be too upset if I don’t use your idea. I am thankful that you have posted it no matter what. Options are what I am trying to find by using this thread. Options I didn’t know about already
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging