Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2021, 14:52   #16

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Cable-less Code O?

Dredging an old thread here I realize but I just started looking into this. We’re contemplating the purchase of a new Island Packet and they’re working hard to sell us on a solent rig. I’ve never sailed a solent but I am very familiar with and like the cutter rig. Early research led me to OneSails’ IFS and I realize that other sailmakers have similar products. We’ve been using a gennaker with a snuff sock and it works well but we probably don’t use it as often as we could out of pure laziness. To me, a good compromise were I to go with the cutter rig seems to be one of these cable-less top down furling light air sails that can be easily furled/unfurled on fluky days. Am I all wet?
OneSails’ video:
Durangutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 23:56   #17

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Cable-less Code O?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangutan View Post
Dredging an old thread here I realize but I just started looking into this. We’re contemplating the purchase of a new Island Packet and they’re working hard to sell us on a solent rig. I’ve never sailed a solent but I am very familiar with and like the cutter rig. Early research led me to OneSails’ IFS and I realize that other sailmakers have similar products. We’ve been using a gennaker with a snuff sock and it works well but we probably don’t use it as often as we could out of pure laziness. To me, a good compromise were I to go with the cutter rig seems to be one of these cable-less top down furling light air sails that can be easily furled/unfurled on fluky days. Am I all wet?

OneSails’ video:

The main benefit to these structured luff sails (where the torsion rope is effectively built into the luff of the sail) is that you can use much less halyard tension. For most larger boats this means no need to use a 2:1 halyard.

Furling is no easier nor harder than for a similar sail with a torsion rope. It will definitely be lighter. And a ton more user friendly than using a sock.

The furling could be top down for a more downwind oriented sail or bottom up for a more reaching oriented sail - it’s the girth measurements that determine top down or bottom up.

I’m not sure what this has to do with a cutter rig, as the sails in the video are all in front of the forestay. Whether you have a staysail inside your forestay or not doesn’t matter.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote