Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2021, 10:43   #16

Re: Boat heeling a few degrees, should I adjust the shrouds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
If the mast were to become perpendicular when the heel was removed, then the solution is to remove the heel by adding ballast to the high side, not by canting the mast. You must address the real problem: that is, the hull being out of trim, not just adjust the mast so it looks like there's no heel.
That's like building a house with a slanted floor and then walking leaned over your whole life.
Batteries are nice and functional ballast. A spare anchor and some chain? Lots of options. May want to start with shifting batteries and some more easily moved items first.
kirklkjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 13:25   #17

Had a beneteau 345 with this issue. Seems that at some point in the past the keel had been removed and when it was reinstalled it was a few degrees off vertical. No big deal. I’d rather have a few degrees of list rather than drag around a few hundred pounds of dead weight. As soon as you put the sails up it’s going to heel anyways 😀😀
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 14:17   #18

Boat: Alerion Express 28

I like the idea about water filled garbage cans. At least this will give you an idea of how much weight you would need to balance the boat. Have you thought about contacting other Najad owners? Perhaps there is a fleet association as with some boats. I assume the Najad is still being built. If so a call to them might be useful. For what it's worth I had a Norseman 447 that had a starboard list. It didn't affect the performance notably but it did bug me to see the list when I observed the boat fore or aft.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 15:04   #19

Boat: Ocean Spirit 34 - Catamaran

Note what Osprey has to say .... a slight misalignment of the keel has a marked effect on the listing
Kurlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 15:37   #20

Heeling can be caused by weight (a force) and its distribution. Getting the right weight at the correct position will probably be a bit tricky as the two horizontal rotational axes may well change as the boat total weight increases etc. The "nearest" approach is probably to place an equivalent weight (a balancing tank?) directly opposite the offending weight (same distance from the fore and aft centre line. This is a common practice with engine fuel tanks. (Two identical tanks, both high in the hull facilitating gravity fuel feed.) Monohulls will heel a few degrees with minimal weight distribution imbalance as it causes hull rotation until the ballast shift balances the weight imbalance. Or, as my old physics teacher would say "The torque of a couple depends on the moment." Because of the complex shape of hulls this can be very difficult to numerate accurately.
On a catamaran, weight imbalance is largely balanced by further hull immersion on the offending hull side.
Unless it is really uncomfortable, I would leave things as they are. You should get better pointing ability on one tack with this imbalance! Try shifting some weighty stuff such as batteries or tools, anchor chain etc. It may help but I certainly would be very reluctant to start playing around with the rigging.

If the mast is actually not at right angles to the deck (laterally), then I would then be calling in a rigger.

Or you could rename the boat “Eileen”.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 15:58   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebramar View Post
My boat has a deck-stepped mast with 1 long/upper shroud and 1 fore and 1 aft lower shrouds on each side. With all tanks full, the boat heels a few degs to starboard (which is the side of the fuel tank and of the cockpit locker, though the latter is not filled with heavy stuff). The mast shows same angle to water, implying it is correctly rigged. Standing rig has been professionally replaced 3 years ago by the official brand agent.

I am considering trying to adjust the shrouds such that the boat and the mast get levelled to the water. Is this the right thing to do? If so, should I adjust more the upper shroud than the lower ones? I am concerned of not messing up on the straightness of the mast. I have Dedekam’s didactical book on rig tuning but could not find an answer to my problem.

Any clue would be appreciated.
Store a few cartons of beer in the port locker😳
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 18:29   #22

Boat: TY37, formerly Paceship PY26

"Store a few cartons of beer on the port side."

And leave them there? What madness!
Pat_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, shroud