Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2021, 18:58   #1

Degrees, Minutes, Seconds vs Decimal Degrees

When I was learning to plot a position on a nautical chart, I used degrees, minutes and seconds. So if by chance, I was hailed on the VHF to state my current position would I need to report it in degrees, minutes, and seconds or convert it to decimal degrees and report it that way? What is the standard protocol?
Time Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 19:04   #2

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2
Re: Degrees, Minutes, Seconds vs Decimal Degrees

It will be obvious by the way you state it. (ie X degrees, Y minutes, Z seconds vs X degrees, Y decimal Z minutes)

Decimal minutes are so much easier on a chart, who was torturing you by teaching seconds??
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 19:14   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30

The modern way is just easier ... and I learned the old-fashioned way too.
Old 12-04-2021, 19:21   #4

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

by far the easiest way is to read yr position off yr chart plotter. these generally (certainly mine anyway) are set up to give position in degrees minutes and decimals of minutes

however really anything is ok if you just state clearly what format you are giving position in

cheers,
Old 12-04-2021, 19:39   #5

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Theory View Post
When I was learning to plot a position on a nautical chart, I used degrees, minutes and seconds. So if by chance, I was hailed on the VHF to state my current position would I need to report it in degrees, minutes, and seconds or convert it to decimal degrees and report it that way? What is the standard protocol?
Golly.... how old are you?
Degrees and minutes - decimal minutes to the first decimal place in calculations - place have been the norm in the British sphere of influence for well over 60 years.

In calculations use this form S 45º 34.2' ( some may say that should be written thus S 45º 34'.2 )

Deep sea just use the whole minute eg S 45º 34'

Coastal you are better giving bearing and distance **from** a wellknown landmark.

Whatever you do don't use more than the first decimal place... eg '34.234 minutes'
The first decimal place is about 170 metres, the second decimal place is about 17 metres. The third place - 1.7 metres. At which end of the boat did you say you were standing?

That is in latitude - in longitude it will be even less the further you are from the equator.
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 19:47   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

OK... so are you asking about DMS vs DM.xx or are you asking for straight D.xxxxx?

Most modern Mercator charts, and marine GPSs , use DM.xx, but there are still plenty of DMS charts out there, and my GPS can be set to DMS. Pure digital degrees (D.xxxxx) has come into being due to mapping tools like Google Maps. It's not something I've seen used in practice in the nautical world.
Old 12-04-2021, 20:21   #7

Virtually NOBODY uses decimal degrees in routine navigation... although it is handy for some esoteric calculations because it is easy to convert to radians.

I am pretty sure the original poster is confusing decimal degrees with the use of degrees,/minutes,/decimal minutes. That has become the "routine" usage. It is unlikely that decimal degrees will ever win out, because the fact that on minute of latitude ~= one nautical mile is just too convenient to give up. Nobody really cares any more that one second of latitude ~= 100 yards.

Of course ANY chart plotter can be programmed to display ANY of these formats. If yours does one or the other is not because it is "standard" but you just don't know how to change it...
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 20:43   #8

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Virtually NOBODY uses decimal degrees in routine navigation... although it is handy for some esoteric calculations because it is easy to convert to radians.

I am pretty sure the original poster is confusing decimal degrees with the use of degrees,/minutes,/decimal minutes. That has become the "routine" usage. It is unlikely that decimal degrees will ever win out, because the fact that on minute of latitude ~= one nautical mile is just too convenient to give up. Nobody really cares any more that one second of latitude ~= 100 yards.

Of course ANY chart plotter can be programmed to display ANY of these formats. If yours does one or the other is not because it is "standard" but you just don't know how to change it...

You mean approx 100 ft!
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 21:47   #9

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post

Nobody cares that we had a perfectly well thought out system that had survived thousands of years of refinement when they suggested that we divide a longitudinal line up into 2 million pieces and call one a meter just to make everything base 10... cuz heck whoever came up with this base 6,12,24,60 system.... whatever it is

Traditional mariners and GPS programmers will be the last people on earth who know what a foot is.

Not to be foul to land lubbers, but do you have any idea how many people I know who don’t even know what tides are or how the moon, sun, and other planets affect them?

Regardless of being right or easy, I think decimal degrees are probably already more common because of the whole Google and land based GPS. I am willing to bet geocaching is more common than celestial navigation.

I don’t want to sound bent out of shape, but I’ve endured countless peers saying “why do we use these old systems anyway, dividing by 100 is so much easier” as they proceed to do just that on a calculator.... Most of the people I meet are disconnected from reality. Subject for a different time tho.
Old 12-04-2021, 23:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Whatever you do don't use more than the first decimal place... eg '34.234 minutes'
The first decimal place is about 170 metres, the second decimal place is about 17 metres. The third place - 1.7 metres. At which end of the boat did you say you were standing?
I minute of latitude is 1852 metres so 0.1' is 185, not 170.

A location to 0.1' covers an area of over 34,000 sq m.
(That's 8.5 acres / 3.45 hectares /6.5 US football fields)
That's a lot of bottom if looking for a bommie or small wreck.

Around here we generally plot reef dive locations to at least two decimal minutes (a bit under 350 sq m).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 00:38   #11

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I minute of latitude is 1852 metres so 0.1' is 185, not 170.

A location to 0.1' covers an area of over 34,000 sq m.
(That's 8.5 acres / 3.45 hectares /6.5 US football fields)
That's a lot of bottom if looking for a bommie or small wreck.

Around here we generally plot reef dive locations to at least two decimal minutes (a bit under 350 sq m).
That may be why I said 'about'.

And a CDF navigator's requirements are entirely different to those of a diver.
3.45 hectares = twice the size of my garden ie not very big... everything is relative.
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 01:03   #12

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Standard now appears to be degrees minutes.decimal. This is the way most GPSs seem to be set as standard and to 1 decimal place is really enough for most purposes except perhaps trying to refind a wreck or enter a very narrow channel.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 05:12   #13
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I like to use the units that my chartplotter likes
Old 13-04-2021, 05:53   #14

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I've always found base 10 harder to work with.

Things are easier on computers. Base 2, base 8, base 16. All make sense. Just keep doubling or halving.

The whole 360-degree circle thing is a bit of a relic, but it does make the math pretty easy. Lots of ways to divide that up into nice integers. It's sort of almost like base 6.

Base 10 really doesn't have a lot going for it, except for the number of fingers we humans have. I'd like to think we've developed past needing to use those. Sure, it works on paper, or on a calculator. But any base would. For actually grasping quantities, our minds are wired to process groups of 1, 2 and 3. Anything we can double, or divide in half, triple or divide in three makes intuitive sense. We can even process the concept of 1/4 pretty easily. This is why clocks show 12 or 24 hours, and why circles have 360 degrees. It's just easier to divide up into half, quarter or third.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 07:05   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

I just call out whatever my Raymarine screen reports.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote