Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2008, 15:44   #16

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlearl View Post
I've been through this thread with some interest. In a way, the discussion is an allegory for a lot of the tradeoffs on boats as well as other aspects of life. It seems that the latest/greatest materials may have some advantage but the unintended side effects could outweigh them. Stretch...this seems kind of important, not too much not too little. And what about human comfort? I'm not sure that I want to be hauling on a 3 mm slick halyard when I'm trying to raise a sail. So maybe the dollar cost and other aspects outweigh the weight and space savings on some of the more modern materials applications.
I'm far from a luddite but I do occasionally wonder if we don't get into a gottahave mode when new things come out.
I'll be replacing a spinnaker halyard and now I think I'll just go with a good 3/8 polyester. Easy to use and not too expensive, for a boat part!

I understand what you are saying...it is why so much of this stuff goes to racing boats and the cruising boats miss out often I think.

As far as stretch goes. I am planning to haul it up and not have to put so much effort in the last inch to get it too taught. Then it should be no worries abut it stretching in a puff...:-)

And I do definetly not want to be hauling a 3mm line to raise a sail. That is what the tail is for. Easy....nice and easy.

But you are right, so much of this is beyond what it takes to go out on the water and have a good time. I enjoy the new ropes a lot. There is just so many things we can replace withghtis stuff and it takes the weight and corrosion etc. off on much of it.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 17:14   #17

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
Paul, take a look at: Post #41

It shows a 2 year old line I had to use for something else, so rather than just cut it, I un-spliced it and then cut it and re-spliced it. I was looking for any wear, discoloration, fuzzy stuff...anything that would indicate age. It was just another splice, I could not tell the difference.

That was Dux which is Dynex that has been heated and stretched to give it what we need for standing rigging. The piece I show was a running back-stay.

Dynex at 3 or 4mm is pretty simple to splice. Get a chunk and try it. Hollow 12 braid is like the ski ropes I used to use...:-)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...g-18184-3.html
I asked because of all the warnings you hear about trying to splice used line. There's a big sign in Brion Toss rigging that clearly says 'We do not splice used line'

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote