Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 11:09   #1

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Traveler Location

Not sure if this should go here or in Construction?

I have seen several different configurations for the boom control/traveler.

I personally think it would be a pita to have it directly in the center of the companionway (think 30' 32' max). Would the boat sink if the traveler were moved to the stern or over the cabin.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:17   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
My 30ft. Columbia had the traveler in front of the companionway. It was an antique, and stiff as can be. I replaced it with a ballbearing Harken traveller, and could pull the main up into the wind........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:13   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
I'm a fan of the end boom sheeting as it gives greater leverage/less force on the tackle. Depending on where your wheel (or tiller) is located, it's nice to be able to steer and adjust the main at the same time. On my old boat it was reachable and just in front of the helm. On my new boat it's reachable and just behind the helm at the end of the cockpit.
Old 10-12-2008, 13:30   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have had end boom sheeting but much prefer the traveller forward of the companionway hatch. This is the best spot if you're a cruiser. Racers like it at the end of the boom but that buggers up a bimini and having it just aft of the companionway ruins a dodger. Put it forward.
Old 10-12-2008, 13:46   #5

Boat: Norseman 447
The problem with mid boom traveller/mainsheet is in an accidental Gybe you can end up with brokenboom
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 13:51   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I'm going for over the cabin on a track just at the forward edge of the hatch turtle. That way it won't be in the way of dodger, bimini and will be where I can see it while looking forward. It does mean mid-boom sheeting and we've had a discussion here about that.
End boom sheeting is ok unless led at too much of an angle toward the stern. There could be a lot of pressure pulling the gooseneck away from the mast while working hard on the wind. That's the same kind of pressure that a hard vang presents in the topping lift position. If the vang is too large and presents too much pressure it could pull too much on the gooseneck attachment to the mast.
Hope some of this helps your decision.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 18:49   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It all comes down to the design of the cockpit in relation to the length of the boom.

End sheeting is easier on the boom but dangerous in an accidental jib. Which is why I use a boom brake.

Mid boom sheeting can snap a boom in an accidental jib and it's hard to place a boom brake, which are usually attached just behind or on the vang attachment.

My traveler was just in front of the steering pedestal, before I installed it, but I would have had to reach thru the wheel to adjust the sheets or set up a block system that would probably be in the wrong place.

The main sail is the accelerator of a sail boat and when single handing one wants full control of the boats speed & heel. So I prefer mine right beside and aft of me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2977.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	6169  
Old 11-12-2008, 07:49   #8

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Thanks for the input. I believe the comfiguation of the cockpit is key. On my existing boat the traveler is end of boom just aft of the tiller at the end of the cockpit. However if it were located above the compaionway it would not even be halfway of the boom.

Name:	View out the Back Porch.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	493.9 KB
ID:	6176
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:36   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I moved mine to the end of the boom...I still haven’t fitted the bale, but you can see the short traveler behind the cockpit between the two small winches.
I was also concerned about the sheet hanging up on the non existent, but planned, bimini. I spent a lot of time looking at worst case scenarios an figure it should clear.
This location for me is KISS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	traveler.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	6178  
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:18   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Back in the old days, before solid permanent vangs, mid boom sheeting allowed for greater latitude of travellor movement without the need of a vang. That has largely been negated if you have a permanent vang. The mid boom sheeting's greatest problem is it usually requires a winch or additional parts in the tackle to overcome the greater loads and block friction. The end of the sheet is almost invariably on the cabin top which made single handing more difficult as you had to leave the helm to trim the sheet. On our last boat we had mid boom sheeting on the bridge deck. Found it to actually be a safety factor as you had something to hang onto when going below with the travellor centered or fall against when it wasn't. You cannot attach your bimini to the dodger with the sheeting there, either. Once again, don't think that's a problem as I won't sail with something obstructing my view of the main. Would have a break between the bimini and dodger in any case.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35

I've got end boom sheeting on my current boat and like it better. The travellor trims easily with a two part purchase and can trim the main with a two speed block system by hand. There is the problem with needing a vang through more of the boom sweep (don't have a solid permanent vang). Have gone with two 4 part tackle vangs, one to each side, that are always in place. They not only act as vangs but also as preventors or Oh sh*ts!!! if I forget to release them before a tack or jibe. On a jibe they allow me to ease the main over gently, as well. Haven't gone with a permanent vang because I don't want to give up the realestate under the boom.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Back in the old days, before solid permanent vangs, mid boom sheeting allowed for greater latitude of travellor movement without the need of a vang. That has largely been negated if you have a permanent vang. The mid boom sheeting's greatest problem is it usually requires a winch or additional parts in the tackle to overcome the greater loads and block friction. The end of the sheet is almost invariably on the cabin top which made single handing more difficult as you had to leave the helm to trim the sheet. On our last boat we had mid boom sheeting on the bridge deck. Found it to actually be a safety factor as you had something to hang onto when going below with the travellor centered or fall against when it wasn't. You cannot attach your bimini to the dodger with the sheeting there, either. Once again, don't think that's a problem as I won't sail with something obstructing my view of the main. Would have a break between the bimini and dodger in any case.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35

I've got end boom sheeting on my current boat and like it better. The travellor trims easily with a two part purchase and can trim the main with a two speed block system by hand. There is the problem with needing a vang through more of the boom sweep (don't have a solid permanent vang). Have gone with two 4 part tackle vangs, one to each side, that are always in place. They not only act as vangs but also as preventors or Oh sh*ts!!! if I forget to release them before a tack or jibe. On a jibe they allow me to ease the main over gently, as well. Haven't gone with a permanent vang because I don't want to give up the realestate under the boom.
Peter,
You mention two vangs. Do they attach to the toerail or somewhere on the cabin top?

John
Old 11-12-2008, 11:34   #12

In my previous post I mentioned the traveler being at the forward end of the companionway turtle. I meant to say after end. Boom is 17+ feet. That puts the mid bail at 13 feet from the mast.
Kind regards,
JohnL
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The vangs attach to the deck with line run back to the cockpit so they can be adjusted from the cockpit. They pad eyes are located so they are about at midboom with it swung out over them. The boom attachment is aft of the padeye so it is about 5/8ths aft on the boom. You could go to the rail. If you going to a track, I'd be careful. Tracks aren't really designed to to take a load at ninety degrees. It would probably handle it but I've seen tracks seriously distorted or torn up by an over limit vertical load.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:31   #14

Unless you can get it aft of the lazarette, it would be a pain in the cockpit for sure. Over the companionway hatch seems fine. One thing to think about: if you want to use a preventer when sailing a reach in light airs (which you will) , try to place the traveler mainsheet arrangement so you can un shackle it and use it as the preventer also.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:40   #15
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Ive always liked hunters solution in mounting the traveler to an arch overhead. Kinda the best of both worlds being out of the way and end boom. Pretty big project though. Have to be a strong arch.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote