Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2019, 12:16   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Best bedding compound

I can only think of one method that is better than MainSail's butyl and that is to cut neoprene gaskets, dress each side with LifeCaulk (polysulphate) and bolt the stanchions down.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 12:29   #32

Boat: Bristol 41.1

_______
"Bed-It Tape is specifically formulated and extruded for the installation of deck fittings to the decks of boats. All aspects of the installation procedure and necessary formulation requirements have been brought together in a marine specific bedding tape.

It has been designed to:

*Work across wide temperature ranges with minimal "creep" or cold flow even in hot climates

*Formulated to have exceptional tolerance to withstand slight movement between deck and fitting

*Stand up to typical boat washing chemicals

*Have the proper density for use in a "compression" application.

*Have right density to allow it to*displace from under the fitting in a reasonable time frame

Bed-It Tape is made only from the finest materials and has been designed to exceed the quality of pre EPA tapes that have lasted for 30+ years.

Bed-It Tape is not an RV, Masonsry, HVAC or glazing product it was specifically formulated for use in bedding deck hardware."

Well, that's certainly how the vendor advertises it - straight from the website.

Butyl has its place, but I have soured on it over the years.

First, it has a definite shelf life, something Mainesail mentions only reluctantly. He recommends that you "refrigerate" it for maximum life.
Over time, the butyl and the backing tape amalgamate and you can't separate the two as the paper dissolves into the butyl.

And in tropical climes, it does indeed ooze, which may, or may not, become an issue depending on application and cruising grounds.

Still, I like to use butyl beneath screw heads, as long as it is not near any solvents (gasoline, diesel, etc.)

My current favorites are traditional Dolphinite and Sikaflex 291 in either the quick cure or the LOT (long open time) version - depending on the adhesive requirements. 3M 5200 has certain advantages, but suffers a bad rap as a result of becoming some user's "go to" product for any and every use on board.

My point is that there are no ideal products, including butyl, that will satisfy every requirement, no matter how much we might like to think so.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 14:03   #33
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes again no one says otherwise.

I don't know any sealant without a limited shelf life.

And yes the text I quoted is from Maine Sail, that is his custom product.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 14:13   #34

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I've got a roll of buytl purchased 6 years ago that I keep on the boat in the tropics and it is still fine. In fact I used it last week when bedding portlights and their screws (along with some Sika 291). We can't get the stuff from Mainesail down here, so the stuff I use is designed for pond liner joining. Polyurethane sealant shelf life is 12 months, but reduced to weeks once opened.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 06:31   #35

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I've got a roll of buytl purchased 6 years ago that I keep on the boat in the tropics and it is still fine. In fact I used it last week when bedding portlights and their screws (along with some Sika 291). We can't get the stuff from Mainesail down here, so the stuff I use is designed for pond liner joining. Polyurethane sealant shelf life is 12 months, but reduced to weeks once opened.
I've found that you can tape the tip of the tube closed and freeze the bottle and it will last months(done this with 4200).
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 17:23   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Butyl seems to last a long time. The problem I have is it sticks to the backing material and is a problem to peel off. It can be done but takes a long time to get the butyl free of the backing tape often by carefully peeling the butyl off inch by inch with your finger nails or a scraper. Bought enough to bed the toe rails on our boat but it would've taken forever to peel the butyl off the backing tape so gave up and went with 5200 which i hopefully won't live to regret. This was brand new butyl rolls shipped from Maine Sail so had nothing to do with age though it was in Kona where it's 85 degrees in the daytime year around.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 17:25   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
I've found that you can tape the tip of the tube closed and freeze the bottle and it will last months(done this with 4200).
Will have to try this as 3m sealants seem to go off in the tube way way faster than LifeCaulk.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 17:35   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
You should need a training course and a license to buy 5200. It's the most misused product in marine world.

SATAN'S GLUE
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 22:01   #39

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Will have to try this as 3m sealants seem to go off in the tube way way faster than LifeCaulk.
I just noticed the directions on a 3 oz. tube of 4200 were to use it within 24 hours of opening it. Bought it because I destroyed another tube that had sit for months before I read that.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed