Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2021, 10:40   #46

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Adding a cutter rig / sloop to cutter conversion

Looking at drawings of this boat https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/morgan-43 , it would not appear really set up for a cutter rig. To be properly secured, the inner forestay would need to run through the deck (where you say there is a cleat) and down to the stem. That would likely put a steel rod right in the middle of the forward double berth. Perhaps the boats you have seen rigged as cutters have a different interior configuration.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 10:51   #47

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaser View Post
Hi All,

I've been reading all the questions, answers and suggestions about the sloop to cutter conversions. I have a 43' Morgan CC sloop. My mast came with an attachment point for an inner halyard. I also have a large cleat where the inner halyard would attach to the deck. I have seen photos of my model boat with cutter rigs. My question is, did Morgan offer this as an optional rig?

Thanks
Weaser

What kind of attachment on the mast? A tang welded to the front side or a strap wrapping around and screwed or bolted to the mast?

Generally the tang would be appropriate for a halyard, the strap would be more appropriate for the forestay/staysail stay. Not always.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 11:23   #48

Boat: 1987 Morgan 43 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
What kind of attachment on the mast? A tang welded to the front side or a strap wrapping around and screwed or bolted to the mast?

Generally the tang would be appropriate for a halyard, the strap would be more appropriate for the forestay/staysail stay. Not always.

It’s a welded tang on the mast.
Weaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 11:26   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Looking at drawings of this boat https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/morgan-43 , it would not appear really set up for a cutter rig. To be properly secured, the inner forestay would need to run through the deck (where you say there is a cleat) and down to the stem. That would likely put a steel rod right in the middle of the forward double berth. Perhaps the boats you have seen rigged as cutters have a different interior configuration.

The cleat is attached to the deck directly above the chain locker bulkhead.
Old 25-08-2021, 12:44   #50

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

By directly over do you mean there are thru-bolts for the cleat on both sides of the bulkhead?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 18:07   #51

They are right above the chain locker bulkhead

Tags
cutter, sloop