Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2012, 20:10   #1

Boat: Van deStadt 34
10mm Polyester OUTER core over 8mm rope

a) Does anyone have 1) experience, 2) comments; about pulling say 4m of Polyester outer core over the outer (and inner) core of 8mm Double Braid (DB) rope (with ends whipped/stitched and the whole length massaged into place?
(I have an 8mm DB topping lift. - the 8 is perfect for most of the length but I'd prefer 10mm through the rope clutch, winch and for me to handle. I have in-boom furling so my boom is pretty heavy).

b) Any suggested uses for the excess 4m of inner core?

Cheers,

Andrew G
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 22:56   #2

Boat: S & S 43'
Re: 10mm Polyester OUTER core over 8mm rope

Andrew,

The problem you will have with adding the extra cover is that it wears and eventually comes apart where you whip/stitch. It'll work a little better if you use 1) the polyester outer cover off a spectra/vectran line or 2) a 32 plait cover, as these covers are usually not so bulky. If you are not pulling it in fast, as you would a sheet, it will definitely last longer.
What I usually do, if not too much thickness is required, is put a 2mm line down inside the inner core. That way there are no abrupt edges which can get hung up going in and out of the clutch. The only negative things to this method are that it stiffens up the line because the outer cover gets tighter and you lose some length. Don't even think about doing it my way if the cover is 16 plait.
Good luck, David
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 23:49   #3

Boat: Van deStadt 34

Thanks David good comments and good to find someone who has done it. I was hoping that by going for a long length (4m) only the mid section of the widened line would go through the clutch as I only move the topping lift by say 1m max. The whipped/stiched parts should not (ever) go near the clutch, winch or me - only the widend 10mm section. But spectra/32 plait does sound better.
Thanks, Andrew
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 03:59   #4

Boat: S & S 43'

Good idea Andrew not to have the cover ends going in and out of the clutch. Your problem, if any, will be slippage, depending on the clutch and how the 2 covers work together. If you can get some ropecoat (I don't know what name is goes by where you are but it is a liquid plastic that can be applied to ropes for stiffening and stabilizing spectra/vectran fibres) and put it on the middle/original cover, that will sure help to prevent slippage (if it is a problem). Have fun David
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 06:39   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

I stripped the cover of some sta-set double braid and used it around the clutch area over single braid amsteel. The ends of the sta-set cover were tapered and buried inside the amsteel core. Then whipped and taped. It worked pretty well, with the tape needing to be replaced after a couple of years.

Tags
core, rope