Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2024, 07:03   #16
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: White thru hull: can I install a seacock on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherbird View Post
I wouldn't use bronze or brass for the galley because they can contain arsenic and lead. I would use stainless or reinforced plastic.
While that might be true; this is for a foot pump to pull seawater into the galley sink. There's stuff in raw water that you don't want to drink*, tiny amounts of metals from corroding fittings are the least of your worries...

I wouldn't use stainless under the waterline, fwiw. Marelon-type or good bronze is my preference.

*Bacteria, viruses, fungi, protozoa, oil, metals, pesticides...
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 07:18   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

If you are on the hard now, then this is the time to glass that over. There is no present like the time!

Never use brass for anything below the water line. It tends to de-zincify and become brittle.

Maralon or bronze would be your best bet for a thru hull below the water line. You don't want to use a 90 elbow before the seacock. The unsupported weight of the seacock and hoses can break the elbow or the thru hull is a choppy sea.

Could you Tee off from a nearby raw water inlet for your galley foot-pump?
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 13:55   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

What they said. Regard it as a hole in your boat, and do what one normally does with a hole in one's boat, which is to fix it. What it originally was or what its function was, is totally irrelevant, since it is fragile and vulnerable in the event of even a light grounding, and is not even being used, anyway.

I highly recommend using only bronze thru hulls below the waterline. Otherwise, anything you put there becomes a sacrificial anode, and slowly dissolves into a weak and brittle sponge of metal.
Old 25-05-2024, 14:30   #19

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
I highly recommend using only bronze thru hulls below the waterline. Otherwise, anything you put there becomes a sacrificial anode, and slowly dissolves into a weak and brittle sponge of metal.
Except using proper plastic: Forespar Marelon or Truedesign through hulls are even better than bronze. Stray currents can damage any metal fitting, even proper bronze. Can you really be sure that bronze fitting is truly the right alloy?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, thru hull