Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 13:23   #1

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Which Toilet to Buy ?

The Sydney boat show's coming up and I want to check out all the toilet systems for my new boat. Given that most sales reps will not encourage me to "test drive" the actual units on display, I'm left to collecting as much annecdotal eveidence as possible.

The boat will have only one head in the centre of the yacht with the holding tank mounted under the vee berth. I want a quiet electric operation but most of all, I don't want my wife having to pull smelly bits apart to fix blockages at sea. I want the unblockable toilet. I am aware that many people consider a manual toilet more reliable, but I have a manual unit on my current boat and most non boating women seem intimidated by it.

Can anyone help me with real life experience of whcih brands and models have worked the best and which to avoid?

Greg
Old 06-07-2010, 14:00   #2
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
I'm not sure "Electric" and "clog free" are mutually achievable. With manual heads I've had good luck with both the Groco "k" series and the Blakes.

the groco has an electric option so that may be wortha peek.

they all need maintenance, and any will clog if you're not careful with what you flush.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 14:19   #3

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
Hi Greg,we lived aboard our tri that being myself my wife and two kids for two and a half years ,when we refitted our boat i went with the TMC brand of electric maceratoring toilet and only just recently i had to put a kit thru the unit ,all up we had 6 years of trouble free ''toileting'' this toilet is available from whitworths just a word of warning get the large bowl model friends of ours got the standard model and it feels like your perching over an egg cup!! btw tmc back up there product with all spare parts available and they were priced at the lower end of the scale from memory i think about $350 australian or cheaper on sale good luck cheers andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 14:27   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
I'm not sure "Electric" and "clog free" are mutually achievable. With manual heads I've had good luck with both the Groco "k" series and the Blakes.

the groco has an electric option so that may be wortha peek.

they all need maintenance, and any will clog if you're not careful with what you flush.
I would think that electric toilets would be a lot less inclined to clog, due to the fact that they macerate right at the toilet.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 14:31   #5
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I would think that electric toilets would be a lot less inclined to clog, due to the fact that they macerate right at the toilet.
So you'd think but the macerator itself can get frozen if "foreign materials" get flushed. Not fun.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 14:45   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Tecma is the best
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 14:56   #7
cruiser

Skip the holding tank, pumps, thru hulls, etc and build yourself an airhead or natures head type composter .
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 15:25   #8

I have a Lavac that I swear by. The bowl is separate from the pump, and the pump is a Mark V manual that is easily serviceable, much tougher than any other marine toilet pump, and has parts and rebuild kits abound. You can run an electric pump as well, or both in tandem (the manual being a backup). Three years of several times a day use by two people. I've opened up the pump housing once to knock out some mineral buildup, as well as some of the hoses. The bowl seal is perfect, and it's white and shiny with zero stains.

I wrote up a post about it and included pictures of the install:

Rebel Heart - The boat and her crew - Eric's Blog - Head install weekend is over,*successfully.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 15:32   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Skip the holding tank, pumps, thru hulls, etc and build yourself an airhead or natures head type composter .
+1 vote for the composter. We made the switch last year in our Pretorian.
Old 06-07-2010, 15:35   #10

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Tecma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Tecma is the best
I second that one. I've been told that Tecma units can digest almost anything. So I bought one for my refit a while ago... still haven't fitted it though. Depressing thing is that it was around AUD1300 and I'm not sure I have the space for it.. so may have to sell and downgrade to a manual (small) Jabsco one... :\

The Tecmas are really well built, high quality units - and come with a bidet too.
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 15:54   #11

Boat: CT54
My vote is for Tecma as well. We have had our Tecma for about 4 years and it has never clogged or broken. These toilets were made to actually pump up hill (up to 11 meters) which I believe speaks for the power of these macerating toilets.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:57   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
+3 for the composting head. I've had manual and electric. Should have saved the tons of money and switched to a composting head long ago. You can pay all you want for fancy, but when it comes right down to it a head is just a hole with a container. Sometimes "KISS" really is the way to go. I've eliminated a holding tank which gives me a lot more storage space. The plumbing hoses, no matter how good they are, eventually give off that musty smell. This smell is especially noticeable when you open up your boat after it has sat for awhile. With the elimination of all the plumbing hoses the boat smells nice. I've eliminated four thru-hulls, locking valves etc. Get over the pre-conceived ideas and do yourself a favor.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 20:29   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Tellie, where can I find information on marine application composting head?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 20:34   #14

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Tellie, where can I find information on marine application composting head?
Here are the two major players as far as I know. We have the Air Head, but they are very similar.

Nature's Head Composting Toilets - The Ideal Waterless Toilet for Your Boat, RV, Cabin, Big Rig or Yurt!

Air Head Dry Toilet: Marine Composting Toilets - Environmentally Friendly Marine Composting Toilet System
Old 07-07-2010, 22:14   #15

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
I have been test driving my Nature's Head composting toilet for four months in my trailer while I am building the boat it will go into. Watch the levels in the urine bottle carefully. Let me say that again. And again. It is messy when yhou do not pay enough attention. Messy. One user [me] once a day, and I have to empty the composting bin once a month. In my trailer, the holding tank that is still here occasionally smells. Apparently I did not clean it well enough. Holding tanks stink. My Nature's Head does not stink. Ever. It is definitely the best thing since night baseball.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote