Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2010, 06:20   #76
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
I'd love to hear more about composting toilets. Please keep posting.

LOL
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 06:59   #77

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM
our boat came with the jabsco electric head. it sounded like takeoff at the local airport when anyone used it. woke up the whole boat at night. kids loved to mess with it and burnt out the switch once (resulting in NO head til a new $20 switch could be shipped in...o my. ) . so i replaced it with the less fancy manual jabsco, 5 years and going strong. a shot of cheap olive oil into the toilet bowl at haulin and haulout is all it needs..
MitchM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 15:54   #78
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ice cream containers are they way to go!

I've actually lost count of the number of times we've replaced our heads. Now, this is partly because whenever we needed to replace a loo on one of the dive boats, we'd put the new one on the yacht, and give the dive boats the old one. Kinda like hand-me-downs. (And hell, customers keep breaking them anyway - at least one a year between three boats)!

To be fair, though, none of the loos are reliable. I keep a good old fashioned 1 litre ice cream container on each boat I regularly use (which is only the commercial boat and our yacht now); and I use them fairly regularly!

They do need replacing sometimes on account of the dive boat Captain not liking them because I write PEE in big permanent lettering before I use it! On the bright side, Captain Kumar dislikes my pot so much, he makes a supreme effort to keep the real loo working! (Unlike Captain Marc, who just shrugs and lets me keep it on the bottom shelf with the bleach!)

It's perfect. Cheap. Reliable. Never had one break yet. Lid seals perfectly till I can dump the contents. And actually, now I think of it, it would be better for emtying the bilges, and water cooling systems than my love teflon pans.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 16:36   #79

Our boat came with a Jabsco and I rebuilt it with such frequency I could do it with the efficientcy of an Indy pit crew. I replaced it with a Groco model k more than a decade ago and, due my experience with the Jabsco, I also bought a rebuild kit for it. The head has been trouble free and the rebuild kit remains unopened - thank God!
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 05:03   #80
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
\There's a lot to be said for the disposable Jabsco toilets. They're dirt cheap and last about 10 years the way we use them,
Yeap, there are good units, i like the simple marcerator version , yes its loud, but you get used to it ( also you can shout "keep pumping"). Ive had them now for years without any trouble. You can get spares anywhere and there're cheap as chips.
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 17:58   #81

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Got a Blake's Baby on our boat. Came with the boat. Outstanding quality and repair-ability at sea. Probably overkill for many, but after using it for 2 years.. Can't imagine putting anything else in a boat! Brings new meaning to the 'throne'!

phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 18:19   #82

I have a Groco K which replaced an OEM with a plastic pump. The Groco is all bronze. It works fine and is basically trouble free. Did one rebuild in 19 yrs. How's that?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 20:07   #83

Boat: Gulfstar 37
My main concern with a composting toilet was the physical fit of the unit in the head. I was considering construction of a cardboard mockup to check. Happened that a Nature's Head distributor http://www.allowsolutions.com/perfectprivy.html was in the area and had a sample to try (for fit only). Thanks to Gerard I felt good about ordering a Nature's Head earlier today. Here is a photo of "product placement" on our Gulfstar 37.

It was fun to roll the thing through Pier 39 (one of the most popular tourist attractions in San Francisco) to get to our dock. More than a few looks by the visitors to our City.
sf-robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 21:49   #84

Boat: islandpacket
I vote for anything with a house hold size bowl.