Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2014, 02:41   #1

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'
Re: When Ideal is not ideal - Cheap source of good hose clamps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/clamps.html

Use 2 clamps with a bolt facing each way on each joint.
Cheers/ Len
I've often read this advice (screws should point in opposite directions on the 2 clamps), but never seen an explanation. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks,
Jack
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 04:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Way View Post
I've often read this advice (screws should point in opposite directions on the 2 clamps), but never seen an explanation. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks,
Jack
It's so it takes 5x as long to replace or remove the clamps ... especially when the location is extremely uncomfortable... Both access and blistering heat...

+1 on McMaster or submersible plumbing sources...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 04:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
It's so it takes 5x as long to replace or remove the clamps ... especially when the location is extremely uncomfortable... Both access and blistering heat...
MdR -- yeah, that's been my experience too! Which is why I wonder what the upside is.

BTW, you forgot about poking yourself in the eye with the screwdriver!

Thanks,
Jack
Old 18-12-2014, 04:43   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

Thanks,
Jack
I believe it's to equalize out the tightening, if you believe that a hose has some give and friction between the hose and the clamp, then the part of the hose on the screw side is tighter.

Does it matter, I think not, it's more of a workmanship pride in "doing things right" like keeping the engine room as clean or cleaner than the Galley.
The nut drivers will make you life much easier though, and if you just won't use them, at least get clamps that will accept a Phillips screw driver, straight slot screws ought to be illegal, I hate the things.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 04:49   #5

Boat: 44 footer

I use these:

Scandvik Marine Inc. - list

Scandvik ABA in 316 grade... Paxton stocks them on the east coast, so they should be attainable from Florida to Virginia from anyone that has one of their books laying around.

Cheers,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 04:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe it's to equalize out the tightening, if you believe that a hose has some give and friction between the hose and the clamp, then the part of the hose on the screw side is tighter.

Does it matter, I think not, it's more of a workmanship pride in "doing things right" like keeping the engine room as clean or cleaner than the Galley.
The nut drivers will make you life much easier though, and if you just won't use them, at least get clamps that will accept a Phillips screw driver, straight slot screws ought to be illegal, I hate the things.
Thanks, pilot, that makes sense.

+1 about the slotted screws! But I've never seen a clamp with a Phillips screw. I just struggle along with a nut-driver and use a screwdriver for final tightening.

Jack
Old 18-12-2014, 04:54   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
MdR -- yeah, that's been my experience too! Which is why I wonder what the upside is.

BTW, you forgot about poking yourself in the eye with the screwdriver!

Thanks,
Jack
I also guess than none of needed to mention the mandatory dropping of the driver when the handle end is being use opposite of you...

Quote:

It's just the way I've always done it... Somebody taught me at some point I suppose...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 05:51   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
I believe it's to equalize out the tightening ...
A non-perforated (embossed) hose clamp (AWAB, ABA, Ideal, & Norma) translates the torque applied to the worm gear into a clamping force that is equally distributed around the circumference of the band.
Inexpensive hose clamps have bands with stamped-out slots, the edges of which dig in and drag against the hose, holding that part of the band in place — while the non-perforated edge of the band moves more easily, so it’s pulled in more. This results in less clamping force under the slots and too much where the band is smooth.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 06:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A non-perforated (embossed) hose clamp (AWAB, ABA, Ideal, & Norma) translates the torque applied to the worm gear into a clamping force that is equally distributed around the circumference of the band.
Inexpensive hose clamps have bands with stamped-out slots, the edges of which dig in and drag against the hose, holding that part of the band in place — while the non-perforated edge of the band moves more easily, so it’s pulled in more. This results in less clamping force under the slots and too much where the band is smooth.
Gord, thanks for this. What's the source? Sounds as if there might be more useful info where that came from.

Anyone know why embossed clamps should be more expensive? It would seem cheaper to do than making slots. (Or maybe this is getting too far from the thread topic.)

Jack

Tags
cheap