Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2023, 01:46   #31
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Watermaker Usage Question: I have an old Spectra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
When at a marina with "potable" but likely high tds water, I will run it through separate prefilters (particulate and carbon) into a 5-gal bucket. Set up the watermaker to draw from and discharge "brine" to the bucket. When the bucket gets down to 1 gal, I toss the remainder and start over until tanks are full. Never had any issues. I have good water in the tanks, and it saves me from having to run the WM in the harbor or pickling it. Very much like doing a flush every few days. Same effort. Membrane went for 7+ years.

Would love to hear Tellies take!
Some people are going to say "You had to ask"

I'm not quite sure on your explanation on how you are setting this up. Are you running dock water into the five gallon bucket, letting the watermaker draw from this bucket to circulate the dock water through the watermaker to filter it more? But how does the brine discharge go into the bucket? This should be going over board as well. Sorry for my confusion.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 01:56   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
In a harbor, I'd only make water on the incoming tide, as the water should be cleanest at that point. And definitely think about upgrading to bigger and better pre-filters, as well as good carbon filtration to take care of any VOCs or other stuff the watermaker doesn't. If you're really worried about oily harbors you could install a hydrocarbon adsorption filter, but I think that's overkill. If the water doesn't look oily and you're drawing from a bit below the surface, I wouldn't be worried about sucking up oil.

Carbon filters should be installed to filter the water coming out of the tank, not before it goes in. The flow rate is lower going from the tank to the taps, so the size of filter required for adequate carbon contact time is smaller. It'll avoid most concerns about taking on funky tasting (but otherwise safe) dock water in some places too.

If you know what the watermaker comes with as far as pre-filters, you should be able to assemble a new pre-filter setup that filters to the same or a finer level, but uses larger off the shelf filters and housings so they take longer to clog. Finer prefilters will get more of the junk out before it gets to the membranes. And ideally, you use filters that are easily available at Home Depot, etc. in case you need a few extras in a pinch.

"Carbon filters should be installed to filter the water coming out of the tank, not before it goes in."

I hope you don't mind me expanding on this. But this is correct. Unless you are distrustful of the water you are taking on, I would not recommend using a carbon filter for the incoming water that is filling your tank. Carbon filters remove a good bit of residual chlorine depending on their ratings. Watermakers have a charcoal filter on the freshwater side to remove this to protect the membrane/s. If you remove the residual chlorine going into your tanks you are eliminating some protection against bio-growth throughout your plumbing system. Now this is a small amount to be sure, but I would think it is worth it. I would however strongly recommend a good water filtration system at the place of water you will consume. Remember, though a properly functioning watermakewr will make great drinking water, once we place it in your fresh water tank we have no idea what's going on in your tank. It's like putting really good rum into a dirty glass.
Old 31-03-2023, 03:09   #33

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
How often are you emptying your holding tank vs. needing water? I find that mine fills up in about the same amount of time it takes to use up the water supply, so I'm going offshore for both reasons, fill one tank, empty the other. Or there's the option of doing the same at a dock- a less pleasant experience but faster. Non boat people (women and men both) fill the holding tanks faster too.
emptying holding tanks has been a real annoying thing in the past. So that’s designed out of my boat.

it’s a composting boat.

Note: for decades now I already chlorine my fresh water tanks and use good carbon/biological filters at the drinking source. This is the best way to produce perfect water to drink all the time. Nothing can grow in the tanks. Nothing can grow in the plumbing. And you don’t have a chlorine flavor or any chemicals in your drinking water.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 09:06   #34

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

I'm not quite sure on your explanation on how you are setting this up. Are you running dock water into the five gallon bucket, letting the watermaker draw from this bucket to circulate the dock water through the watermaker to filter it more? But how does the brine discharge go into the bucket? This should be going over board as well. Sorry for my confusion.

I have a spectra 150, and plumb it as if I was running pickling solution using Spectra's setup, hose to the service port, another hose from the Clark pump discharge back to the bucket. I prefilter dock water which goes to a bucket.

Reason to discharge back to the bucket is many marina's charge $$$ for water and I hate to waste it. It isn't "brine" per se, just dock water with a bit more TDS than before. By running to the last 1 gallon, I have 4 gallons of really clean water in my tanks. Then I dump the waste and start over.

Another advantage it I now have a very well-flushed membrane at least in terms of bios from seawater.

PS - I do this mainly in locations where the dock water is or might be questionable. On occasion in a marina where I am staying long enough to need to run the watermaker just for maintenance without pickling.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 07:13   #35

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Some years ago I bought a 100 gallon bladder I use for fresh water. I put it in my skiff and fill from the dock and run it out to my boat on a mooring ball. I have not used my watermaker for years. It has been pickeled. I can't fill the bladder on the skiff, too heavy. I only get about 60 gallons a trip. I pump it to the water fill port with an extra fresh water pump.

I think my Spectra manual says you can hand wash and reuse the primary filter.

Water here tests at about 320 ppm from the dock. I use a Zero Water pitcher filter for drinking water, coffee and tea. Filters are $15 and make about 25 gallons. It does a good job and removes contaminates to 005 ppm. Depending on the # of guests, laundry ect. I use about 10 gal of fresh water per day. Tank is 200 gallons.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 12:20   #36

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

I have a Spectra as well. Traveling up the U.S. east coast for the last three years I found using it was more of a pia than it was worth, located under the bedding of the port forward berth it requires remaking the bed every time you have to check or change the filters, which is a lot. Chesapeake, Delaware, Long Island Sound or pretty much everywhere water is green silts up the filters real quick. All the marinas will let you drop in a hose when you pick up fuel or have a token fee.Best thing is to arrive 1st thing in the morning or slow times, then they are more patient and you aren’t holding up the works. The tidal flushing of the marinas I found also to kick up a lot of sand and murk the water but I suppose it depends where you are.
VeinDocFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 12:48   #37

i’m beginning to worry here. I can’t carry lots and lots of water because I can’t have all of that weight.

but a water maker also doesn’t seem fantastic. Even though I already have one that is not working yet.
Old 03-04-2023, 14:05   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Ok. For the sake of a better picture, imagine you're on a mooring in Titusville. Or in a harbor on long island sound.

Yes, I have to anchor in populated places in order to work, see friends and complete a boat.

Not just sitting at the head of a fjord in Norway or on an atoll in the Pacific.

What I don't understand is if I can run the watermaker in busy harbors.

Obviously oil slicks are no good. I know that much.

I really just don't know how (where) to use a watermaker. I do know there are plenty of chemicals they let through too and I hadn't even thought about that until SY Harmony's post.

A carbon filter can take out most of those chemicals though for drinking
I did when I needed to, I made a lot of water in more busy harbors. I just went by how the harbor water looked mostly. Mine made 25 gal an hour so I filled everything while on the way to a destination. But still, as you say, you are often in a harbor for extended time. I could often make it through the stay in a bad harbor. Or you can move to where there is water flow/current daily...and make some water.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 15:29   #39

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
i’m beginning to worry here. I can’t carry lots and lots of water because I can’t have all of that weight.

but a water maker also doesn’t seem fantastic. Even though I already have one that is not working yet.
Keep in mind, while water is heavy, big tanks are still useful if you have space for them. You don't have to fill them all the way most of the time, but if going into a situation where more water is useful, you can sacrifice some weight and fill the tanks.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 16:43   #40

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Watermakers are definitely the way to go if you are not tied up in a marina full time or are cruising and on the move. Make water as you need it and carry a couple of hundred litres instead of full tanks. Fill the tanks as much as you need to when going into harbour or unclean water.
As someone said, filling water tanks and emptying holding tanks can be done at the same time when in a harbour long term
It sure as hell beats having to fill your tanks whenever low or not being close to a water source with empty tanks.
IMHO a watermaker is a necessity.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 16:45   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Keep in mind, while water is heavy, big tanks are still useful if you have space for them. You don't have to fill them all the way most of the time, but if going into a situation where more water is useful, you can sacrifice some weight and fill the tanks.
that’s how I’m seeing it also. Might need to have a little of both. I really only have room for about 100 gallons. I mean, maybe I can find some more room. But I planned on having some saddle tanks. Near the dagger board trunks. Tall tanks.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:26   #42
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post

I have a spectra 150, and plumb it as if I was running pickling solution using Spectra's setup, hose to the service port, another hose from the Clark pump discharge back to the bucket. I prefilter dock water which goes to a bucket.

Reason to discharge back to the bucket is many marina's charge $$$ for water and I hate to waste it. It isn't "brine" per se, just dock water with a bit more TDS than before. By running to the last 1 gallon, I have 4 gallons of really clean water in my tanks. Then I dump the waste and start over.

Another advantage it I now have a very well-flushed membrane at least in terms of bios from seawater.

PS - I do this mainly in locations where the dock water is or might be questionable. On occasion in a marina where I am staying long enough to need to run the watermaker just for maintenance without pickling.
OK I got it now. I just wasn't quite sure.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:31   #43

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbonz View Post
We have two water makers. I don't hesitate to use them anywhere except a marina because of the oil that's always in the water. Filters are cheap. Use them.
Membranes are very expensive
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 03:21   #44

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

A water maker is on my list of future toys. Fortunately I have 150 gallons which can last a good while. However instead of “jugging” I bought a 50 gallon vinyl water bladder and a pump. 3 trips and I’m full…… the pump is also strong enough to wash the boat with.
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 03:43   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
A water maker is on my list of future toys. Fortunately I have 150 gallons which can last a good while. However instead of “jugging” I bought a 50 gallon vinyl water bladder and a pump. 3 trips and I’m full…… the pump is also strong enough to wash the boat with.
Greg

And I guess that’s just it. Would you run that water maker that you want to have in the harbor in Long Island? That’s really the crux of my question.

How about in the Hudson river?

I have to wonder if it’s worth it. I have to go through a lot to get it working. I also know I need a membrane. I may actually have to put in a through hull. Which I really really really don’t want to do. I may just put a pickup tube over the edge instead.

But if I go through all of this hassle and expense and can’t use the water maker in Harbors, then what is the point? When I’m on the passage, the water usually lasts. I’m not sitting around showering and having a bunch of guests over doing the same on a passage. I’m not going transatlantic in the near future. It’s more of like a mission up and down the east coast. The time you spend actually sailing between harbors is no more than a few days. It’s definitely not the majority of what the boat is doing. It’s at anchor most of the time. In harbors.

For those reasons I kind of feel like a watermaker is just for dreaming. Like you have it ready to go for that dream trip in some remote islands or something where there is no water available. But in reality, your boat isn’t there. It’s in a harbor.

So I really need to know if I can use this in the harbor or if it’s nearly worthless.

Tags
USA, water, watermaker