Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2020, 16:19   #46

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree
Re: Watermaker Noise

Hello All,

I have a Spectra Cape Horn which I mounted in the port forward locker in my 40' catamaran. It produces 16 Gallons (60 Liters) an hour using 18 amps at 12 volts. I mounted it on rubber stand-offs to reduce the noise.

We run it for four hours every four days to keep us topped up or when the batteries are full to harvest solar power and save it as fresh water.

You can hear the hum of the feed pumps and the click when hydraulic pump changes direction. It is not intrusive at all. Much quieter than a Honda generator.
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 21:20   #47

I'm also in search of a quiet watermaker.
In my ideal world all noisy parts would be under water.
Maybe a marriage of a Waterlog watermaker with an electric trolling motor?
Waterlog: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...er-182596.html
sailor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:16   #48

The sound of the Spectra was never an issue to me. A quiet hum of the feed pump and a very slow rhythmic tick of the Clark pump. Not at all objective.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 13:55   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor2 View Post
I'm also in search of a quiet watermaker.
In my ideal world all noisy parts would be under water.
Maybe a marriage of a Waterlog watermaker with an electric trolling motor?
Waterlog: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...er-182596.html
Given the feedback on the net about the Waterlog, I don't think anyone will be rushing out to buy one.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:02   #50

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
interested to see the very low output of some of these 'quiet' watermakers. at 5-10 LPH they ought to be quiet !

our 10 yo echotech might be a bit noiser (stress might...i don't know), but it also makes 80 LPH (that's over 21 GPH for metrically challenged folk).

let's compare apples with apples shall we ?

cheers,
My Spectra makes 8.3 galls/31 litres per hour when running one pump on battery. Very quiet It makes 16 galls / 60 litres per hour when on engine or generator with both pumps. Noise drowned by engine or genny!

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:30   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I am interested in reading people's opinions of how much noise their watermaker makes.

I am especially interested in the noise levels of the lower capacity Katadyn and Spectra DC units that you would run for hours to all day off solar, in which case there wouldn't be a generator running to cover up the sound of the pump.
Well installed a used Spectra VT-150

I took the feed pump off the bracket it comes and installed under the aft bed. I still can hear it, but mainly because i know what to listen for. I sure wouldn't t close to me in the salon for hours.

Put the clark pump in the aft head. Cant hear that outside of the head really.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:47   #52

Ya had to put our high pressure feed pumps under bench in salon mainly for convince. With it all closed up it’s not to bad, but we love to sit in cockpit and swimming at anchor. So noise out there is nothing lol. Cheers on your new purchase may it bring you many gallons of happiness.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:53   #53

I bought my Spectra 200C 20 years ago. One reason, was sailing on a boat with a PUR35. The '35 seems to use a ram pump design. So it would "wind up, then slam" every few seconds. To me it sounded like something that needed to be fixed ASAP. My ear is tuned for things that don't sound 'right' when sailing. So trying to ignore or accept this slamming, was a risk to ship's safety. The CAT pumps simply need too much power, compared to the Spectra designs.

The extra $$ for the Spectra was considerably more, and soon forgotten.

My 20 year old Spectra 200C still makes 6gph on 7 amps straight off the solar panels. Its steady hum is a much more natural sound. Also, only consumables have been replaced. No repairs have ever been needed. The modular design let me tuck its parts away as I could fit them in the head. It's not cheap, but quietly sailing along whilst making fresh water from sunshine is pure Freedom . Cheers.
CaptnBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:27   #54

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well installed a used Spectra VT-150

I took the feed pump off the bracket it comes and installed under the aft bed. I still can hear it, but mainly because i know what to listen for. I sure wouldn't t close to me in the salon for hours.

Put the clark pump in the aft head. Cant hear that outside of the head really.
Did you share a through hull water intake with AC or something else, or drilled a new hole?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:51   #55
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Did you share a through hull water intake with AC or something else, or drilled a new hole?
Neither. I had an unused one that used to be for the head flush.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:50   #56
CLOD

So in case any new reader makes it this far:

-Installed a used Spectra VT-50
-The boost/feed pump is installed way aft in the boat under the after berth. I can hear it and it is just a constant hum as you expect. Not very annoying.
-The Clark pump is installed on the shelf in my aft head. It makes a consistent “knocking” sound every 6 seconds that sounds like something bumping on the side of the hull. It is annoying to me and I guess i will get used to it maybe.

So in the end i think it comes down to more noise for shorter period with an AC unit or the lower (maybe) longer noise of a DC energy recovery system.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:59   #57

Almost everyone mounts their Clark pump in a cabinet or under the sole to reduce the (very small) noise. On your shelf mount the Clark pump on rubber bushings and then build a 3/4" plywood enclosure around it. Hinge the top so you can get at the knob.

It will look better and you won't hear it except when you're sitting on the head.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:22   #58

Boat: Catalina 42

Funny how different people react to sound. For me, the clicking/cycling of the Clark pump is no problem. It's the boost pumps that are bugging me and I'm trying to find a quieter place to mount them!
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:35   #59

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’m planning to mount my clark pump in a utility closet, in the shower, in the head, at the extreme aft end of one of the hulls. Hoping this keeps the noise down while it clicks all day.

That’s behind 3 different doors. So hopefully it’ll work.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:03   #60
CLOD

To be clear the noise of the Clark pump isnt the issue. It it the transmitted knock bugging me. May have to look into added sound mounts.

Tags
noise, water, watermaker