Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 14:47   #1

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Watermaker Help Emergency

Hi all,

This regards a Schenker 30 l/hr watermaker. My nephew is due to start rowing across the Pacific tomorrow morning from Monterey, California to Hawaii. He can't get his watermaker working, and I'm trying to find him some help today (Sunday). I'm not there. Apparently the device can create fresh water through the filter, but there is some problem with the outflow plumbing. If there is anyone in the C&S Forum community that has any ideas right now, we would appreciate any help we can get! Feel free to respond here on the forum or call/text directly to my cellphone 858-395-0309
Captain Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 20:39   #2

Re: Watermaker Help Emergency

This isn't really a reply, but an addition to my earlier post.

There is not currently a solution for the Schenker, and the team has moved on to find another watermaker, install during the night, and hopefully still make the 10 am start time tomorrow morning.

Cruisers and sailor readers, and the Schenker Watermaker company in Italy, should know what a star they have in the Schenker American distributor, "Lee", of Leeward Marine in Boynton Beach, Florida. Lee took time out of his Sunday night to talk directly and extensively with the team, trying to troubleshoot the problem by phone. A great example of a man who takes pride in delivering a very high level of service.
Old 08-06-2014, 20:51   #3

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Yikes! Well, I suppose it cant all be smooth sailing when you're rowing across oceans. Good luckwith the install, and wish your nephew luck on the voyage for me. Keep us posted with how it goes :-) .

Sent from my SGPT12 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 20:52   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

So what was the problem that necessitated replacing the watermaker with a different make ?
We had a Schenker on our previous boat and it was a great performer...
Cheers
Alan
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 21:56   #5

"So what was the problem that necessitated replacing the watermaker with a different make ?
We had a Schenker on our previous boat and it was a great performer...
Cheers
Alan"

I'm afraid I am at too much of a handicap to say. I haven't actually seen the watermaker, have not worked on watermakers myself, and, although I listened to the phone discussion, I couldn't make sense of comments like "which direction is that valve on top turned?" when the only thing I could see was the telephone in my hand.

I suspect this has less to do with a particular brand of watermaker and a lot to do with last minute fix attempts when you are out of time late on a Sunday.

If I learn an answer down the line, probably months away, I'll try to post it. Suspect I never will.

Thanks to all,
Captain Lee

Although it's definitely off topic for sailing, if you want to learn more about this venture, check out Home | Great Pacific Race. My nephew John is one of the Pacific Warriors.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:59   #6

Just an update for those of you who have replied: The team was able to scavenge working parts from another Schenker Smart 30 Basic (same model as theirs), and they started the race on time at 10 am with no sleep but with a working watermaker.

I'm not sure where the fault was on their own Schenker, but I think I heard Lee of Leeward Marine say it had to be a problem in the energy recovery system.

Thanks all,

Lee
Old 28-06-2014, 10:44   #7

Some additional information for readers of this post:

On this Great Pacific Race, now on day 20, there have been additional watermaker problems. Two concepts that may help readers assess how useful this information is to their own situations:

1) These boats have faced day after day of up to 30' broadside waves. Apparently the most common cause of watermaker failure has been seawater from waves coming in contact with the main pump and causing electrical failure. This despite waterproofing, unit inside sealed compartments, etc. Very rough conditions in a boat very different than a sailboat.

2) At least some of the crews had insufficient testing and insufficient familiarity with the details of their units until shortly before launch.

3) The crews who have lost their electric watermaker seem to be doing fine with using manually operated desalinators. Also, these boats have sealed fresh water containers as required ballast, although breaking into them carries heavy race penalties.
Old 28-06-2014, 10:56   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Those are interesting looking boats. They should have their own thread.

Old 28-06-2014, 11:05   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Lee View Post
Some additional information for readers of this post:

On this Great Pacific Race, now on day 20, there have been additional watermaker problems. Two concepts that may help readers assess how useful this information is to their own situations:

1) These boats have faced day after day of up to 30' broadside waves. Apparently the most common cause of watermaker failure has been seawater from waves coming in contact with the main pump and causing electrical failure. This despite waterproofing, unit inside sealed compartments, etc. Very rough conditions in a boat very different than a sailboat.

2) At least some of the crews had insufficient testing and insufficient familiarity with the details of their units until shortly before launch.

3) The crews who have lost their electric watermaker seem to be doing fine with using manually operated desalinators. Also, these boats have sealed fresh water containers as required ballast, although breaking into them carries heavy race penalties.

Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, water, watermaker