Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2016, 00:39   #31

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Water Heater Placement on a 36 Footer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I don't doubt whatever the experts on solar hot water systems say. But I'm not raising building a solar hot system. I'm suggesting nothing more than returning 'cold water' that's sitting in the pipes to the water tank it's come from, rather than emptying it down the drain, or in this case out into the sea.

I'm aware there are significant problems with 'evapourative air conditioners' re legionaires disease on the mainland and further up North too. But we don't even have them here for domestic use.
Sorry to harp on this one, but this has nothing to do with evaporative systems or the like, this is purely related to enclosed systems holding water at warmer than normal temperatures. The evaporative towers are a very different kettle of fish with their own problems.

The water you are planning to return to the holding tank has been heated, and what is worse, it has been heated just a little, the worst possible scenario. If it had been heated to 65 degrees plus and HELD there for an hour or so, it would be ok. But it hasn't. It will be the luke warm stuff from the pipes and what was in the heater unit when the whole lot cooled down slowly a few days ago. Everything I have read says send that lot overboard.

I don't want to hammer the point, but I really would not recommend what you are thinking of doing. Boat water tanks are bad enough without that extra bit of complication.

I've said my bit, I don't often get so het up about this sort of thing, but I feel it would be remiss of me to fail to raise a caution.

Matt
Old 31-03-2016, 00:47   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

GILow, and RC,

FWIW, Jim and I have used propane flash heaters for our hot water for 30 yrs, since 1986. We were able to control the solenoid; the heaters were vented, and in the case in this boat is that their is a fan that comes on with the water pump, in addition to the vent. There has never been a problem with our installations. Although the concept may be uncomfortable for you guys, in fact, in our experience, it has worked flawlessly, and with simple plumbing, for years.

RC, not trying to convince you to change, but just wanting to make the point that if the installation is good, so can the experience be.

Ann
Old 31-03-2016, 01:04   #33

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
GILow, and RC,

FWIW, Jim and I have used propane flash heaters for our hot water for 30 yrs, since 1986. We were able to control the solenoid; the heaters were vented, and in the case in this boat is that their is a fan that comes on with the water pump, in addition to the vent. There has never been a problem with our installations. Although the concept may be uncomfortable for you guys, in fact, in our experience, it has worked flawlessly, and with simple plumbing, for years.

RC, not trying to convince you to change, but just wanting to make the point that if the installation is good, so can the experience be.

Ann
is your gas instalation an approved one?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 01:05   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Sorry to harp on this one, but this has nothing to do with evaporative systems or the like, this is purely related to enclosed systems holding water at warmer than normal temperatures. The evaporative towers are a very different kettle of fish with their own problems.

The water you are planning to return to the holding tank has been heated, and what is worse, it has been heated just a little, the worst possible scenario. If it had been heated to 65 degrees plus and HELD there for an hour or so, it would be ok. But it hasn't. It will be the luke warm stuff from the pipes and what was in the heater unit when the whole lot cooled down slowly a few days ago. Everything I have read says send that lot overboard.

I don't want to hammer the point, but I really would not recommend what you are thinking of doing. Boat water tanks are bad enough without that extra bit of complication.

I've said my bit, I don't often get so het up about this sort of thing, but I feel it would be remiss of me to fail to raise a caution.

Matt
Well, if i stick the heater up newr the shower as Dockhead suggests, then I wont need to waste as much or to loop it back to the tank.
Old 31-03-2016, 02:09   #35

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
That's the only issue I see with the gas setup. I'm no longer in Australia so it isn't a concern for me.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 04:33   #36

Quote:
GILow, and RC,

Ann

Ann,

I think there is a subtle difference between full time live aboard boats and weekenders like ours. Not sure about RC but our boat sits dormant 99% of the time and so I am not as " in touch" with the boat and its systems as a full time live aboard would be. I believe that for a weekender boat such as ours, systems should be engineered and selected to reflect the less than ideal maintenance and observation entailed in such a craft.

Therefore, I elected to remove our gas water heater, from a fully certified system I should add, because I don't feel as in touch with it as I should be to feel I could trust it.

Paranoid? Maybe, I do drive a Volvo after all, but I just didn't feel safe with such a system in a mostly dormant vessel.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-03-2016, 04:56   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

There are a variety of opinions about using gas for this purpose. These opinions have been discussed widely and not worth repeating here probably.

Some people have not yet had an explosion and so feel comfortable that nothing could ever happen to them.

Others of us are painfully aware of the fact that LPG has about double the explosive power of TNT per gram, and has a wide range of explosive mixture (from memory 9% to 19%), and that there are a dozen ways it can leak out of such an appliance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bilde.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	121750

But don't worry, it could never happen to you!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 05:05   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That was one heck of a party.
Old 31-03-2016, 05:27   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... LPG has ... a wide range of explosive mixture (from memory 9% to 19%) ...
More like 2.1 -to- 9.5%

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 05:59   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
That was one heck of a party.
Believe it or not, before the propane explosion, that was a boat!

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/ar...NEWS/302029987

The owner was killed.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 08:55   #41

Quote:
There are a variety of opinions about using gas for this purpose. These opinions have been discussed widely and not worth repeating here probably.

Some people have not yet had an explosion and so feel comfortable that nothing could ever happen to them.

Others of us are painfully aware of the fact that LPG has about double the explosive power of TNT per gram, and has a wide range of explosive mixture (from memory 9% to 19%), and that there are a dozen ways it can leak out of such an appliance.

Attachment 121750

But don't worry, it could never happen to you!
Yes, well as I've already indicated after recent deaths in Tasmania it's left me a little paranoid. Im keeping an LPG stove, but that's the only thing I now intend to have that is LPG and I intend next year to rebuild that system and it to be certified. In the mean time im religiously turning the system off at night and after meals. Most people's boats in Tasmania do not have certified gas systems and no one checks either. It doesnt have to be certified to be registered here, though it could affect your insurance. But my my safety and that of my family, i want mine to be certified.

Im a little surprised when people admit on CF, or as in the case two weeks ago i visited a guy on his boat who had an LPG heater in a cupboard and when in use he just open's the cupboard. It seems like it's playing Riussian roulette with his life. I don't think it would be easy to add a specific water heater flue to my deck either.

But, i entirely agree with Ann, if a system is safe then LPG is a very good way to go. But, a system that is not certified, is most likely, in my opinion, and in the legal sense, not safe.
Old 31-03-2016, 09:02   #42

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I don't know what all the fear is about with a LPG HWH. I chimney mine above deck...No issue. If people vent them inside the boat and expect Carbon Monoxide to magically vent itself through an open hatch is asking for a problem.
I've never installed the AC/Engine types but have bought 2 boats with them onboard. Both were dead and leaking. That and they take up way too much room.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 09:14   #43

Quote:
GILow, and RC,

Ann
Hi Ann...Is the fan inline with the HWH exhaust? If it is, it's a great idea in the event of a back draft which I get on occasion if it's really windy outside. My HWH has a temp solenoid that kicks the gas off if the flame goes out.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 31-03-2016, 09:23   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I don't know what all the fear is about with a LPG HWH. I chimney mine above deck...No issue. If people vent them inside the boat and expect Carbon Monoxide to magically vent itself through an open hatch is asking for a problem.
I've never installed the AC/Engine types but have bought 2 boats with them onboard. Both were dead and leaking. That and they take up way too much room.
The 'fear' is with improperly installed LPG it can be and is frequently deadly.
Old 31-03-2016, 09:50   #45

I think frequently is over-stated.

Tags
men, water