Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2012, 05:11   #61

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: The Best Marine Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
TABO = #2 & shower at the same time
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 22:04   #62

Boat: Van De Stadt "Helena" 38

Coming in late on this thread but thought I would add another brand which as yet I have no independent review information about. I have just purchased the Sani Marin 31 electric macerating toilet - going French. http://www.southernseasmarine.com/ss...0Catalogue.pdf
This purchase is an example of finding a model to fit existing space constraints. Upgrading from a Jabsco compact manual flush which has served well for many years with periodic pump maintenance and pump replacement every two years.

The Sani Marin is nearly as compact as the Jabsco and promotes itself as having the quietest macerator operation on the market. I looked at all of the brands other cruisers tend to favour and all are that bit too tall for the space I have - especially the composting heads which I would have liked. Going electric and having a macerator was a compliance issue where I live.

The install and operation is yet to happen. I will post my findings after some rigorous testing.
GypsyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:44   #63
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

A subject that is of immediate interest to us, having just bought a 26 year old boat. I was researching which are the best heads to replace the ones in the boat, but now I'm not so sure about that...
The boat has two Baby Blake heads in it now. From what I am reading, these are about as good as anything out there?

Any idea where I could get parts for them? I've never rebuilt one, but i guess that's just a matter of time.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:51   #64

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
. . . but now I'm not so sure about that...
The boat has two Baby Blake heads in it now. From what I am reading, these are about as good as anything out there?

Any idea where I could get parts for them? I've never rebuilt one, but i guess that's just a matter of time.
In my experience, "best" whatever has to be tempered by the reality of getting parts and servicing the MSD. This usually means buying one that is not necessarily the "best" but instead is a "mainstream" unit that you can get parts for without having to wait a long period of time. Scrounging the world to find parts for the unit and having it "out of service" in the meantime is a bitch. Being able to go to Budget Marine or Island Water World and purchase parts immediately is to me a major factor in considering what brand to get.

I would suggest going through their respective catalogs - online - to see what brands have parts stocked in their stores. I am sure both outfits can ship to you in the Turks & Caicos from their stores throughout the Caribbean. If however, your shipping access is easier to the USA (Florida, etc.) then West Marine or even our CF favorite - "HopCar" can get you stuff easily if stay with the big names like Jabsco or PAR or Raritan. I particularly like the Raritan PH-II E model as you can run it as an electric or as a manual pump toilet. And it is compact and easy to repair.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:05   #65

Re: The best marine toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Two words, Natures Head. No electric anything, no pump, no maserator, no holding tank, no hoses and very easy to maintain.
Remind me, "where is it that you anchor"?

LAVAC because I can't afford a BLAKE..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:56   #66
One of Those

I don't think I will ever go to an electric device when a manually operated one is available. Electricity and salt water just don't mix well.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:03   #67

Boat: Moody 42

There are so many other electrical systems on a boat, why worry about the head???
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:40   #68
One of Those

i'm not 'worried' about it. I choose manual over electric where I can on the boat. it's one less electrical circuit, set of connectors, circuit breaker,and motor in close proximity to salt water that we have to rely upon. Simplicity is a nice feature. It's just personal opinion.

We've got a manual windlass too.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:53   #69

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I looked long and hard at marine heads after we decided to change out the two Raritan PH11’s after we bought our 1977 boat. There was another question for us—where to put the waste? Our holding tank was holed through and could not be repaired, so we had to start afresh. Anyone who is interested in seeing the results go to http://www.schooner-britannia.com/aft_bathroom.html
By the way, I have both my Raritan PH11’s for sale at http://www.schooner-britannia.com/for_sale.html One electric, on manual.
Both the new heads and the waste disposal units have performed flawlessly—so far.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 18:57   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul
i'm not 'worried' about it. I choose manual over electric where I can on the boat. it's one less electrical circuit, set of connectors, circuit breaker,and motor in close proximity to salt water that we have to rely upon. Simplicity is a nice feature. It's just personal opinion.

We've got a manual windlass too.
I'm usually in the manual camp as well, but with kids onboard you simply will never get a three year old to pump the required number of times, let alone consistently. Flushing the system sufficiently is one of the most important things you can do, and electrics enforce it.

Also, with the quantity of motors and electronics onboard even a spartan cruising vessel it is a little weird to draw the line with heads.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31   #71
One of Those

it's not "drawing a line". its a matter of personal preference. I realized I can't eliminate all electric motors, wiring, circuit breakers, pump diaphrams, fuses, etc. but where I can get by with less of all that, and especially were there's a good manual alternative, that's my personal preference. Simplicity is better than complexity in my view. We will never have a 3 year old, or even a teen, on the boat, so none of the convenience reasons of children will apply to us.

We've also taken a brand new flat screen tv, two huge hard drives, a DVD player, a microwave, three laptops, a washing machine, and an a/c fridge off the boat.

I've been looking at the radar and SSB/tuner but so far have left them alone. My thinking is that we don't need either of them, though. Lets face it, if I got into trouble who would I call? Anyone close enough to be of any help would be in VHF range.

Personally, I think wearing a uniform to sail in is a little wierd, but would never criticize someone else for choosing to do it....

and from what I am reading on here, I'm not sure it makes sense to junk two $ 3500 Baby Blakes to replace them with $ 200 heads...
Old 02-08-2012, 07:44   #72
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

what works for each individual is different due to all factors involved--i choose jabsco manual as i cannot afford a baby blake.
also--the jabsco can handle toilet paper when someone screws up.
yes--it can handle even non soluble tp..LOL..
.mine had a clump of eel grass in the inlet--removed it and still perfect!!!!!!

if someone cannot flush the required number of times, keep teaching and follow the soul into john and flush the until you are happy. is easy.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:44   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman375 View Post
There are so many other electrical systems on a boat, why worry about the head???
Ooooh, lots of reasons:

1. Because hand pumping (at least the Jabsco type) can break your bloody arm.
2. Because no one ever pumps enough by hand to get everything through a high antisiphon break if they have to do it by hand, and leaving pee standing in the pipes causes calcium deposits, and leaving any waste in the pipes eventually causes stink.
3. Because maceration reduces the likelihood of clogs.
4. Because reducing the likelihood of clogs is really important if you have non-sailors on board on a regular basis like I do.
5. Because macerated waste is more easily absorbed by the environment.

Running a bit of wire is a very, very small price to pay for all of these advantages.

Just electrified the forward head in our boat -- and praising the lord every day. In my opinion, electrified toilets are a watershed of civilization on board, kind of like pressure water systems.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:46   #74
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

just wondering--how does one pull sheets and halyards if they cannot manually flush toilet?????? i dont find my manual jabsco such a trial to flush..is easy.
and i am a female....LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:47   #75
One of Those

pumping a head can break your arm?

I think we live in different worlds.

Tags
marine