Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2018, 21:07   #16

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan
Re: Soft start options for Air Conditioning

I installed the microair unit on our sailboat after installing a webasto 12000btu unit. My Honda eu2000 wouldn’t start it. After installing the microair it starts on eco and runs the AC, lights and plug in fan for 5hrs on the built in tank. Looking to integrate a larger tank so I don’t have to get up and fill half way through the night. Sat tied to trees for 3 days riding out a hurricane here with that little thing purring away. Highly recommended!
John
GoneIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 10:10   #17

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

Supco superboost. It's just a large capacitor,connecting parallel to the AC's original capacitors block. Run 16000 Dometic,no problem. Thought,I have larger genny-4500kva Panda. But,still can't hadle two ACs...
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 15:25   #18

had a fair amount of success by popping a solenoid valve between the suction and discharge on the compressor with a 5 second timer to allow the comp to get up to speed and over the startup "hump" seemed to work just fine and noticed on my own one cuts the required startup amps right back
sfnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 13:49   #19

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

In my small boat and a 5k window unit I ran it with my honda eu1000. You simply start the unit in 2 stages, 1st fan for 1 minute until the load settles down, then compressor on low. No problem. Both the fan and compressor have double the start load vs the running load. Just don't start both simultaneously. After start my little eu1000 ran ac in eco mode
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 05:03   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

So since my finely crafted POS Lombardini generator is probably down beyond the $$$ I'm currently looking to pay to fix, I went and got a Honda EU2200i

I had to install a hard start in my 7K btu unit to be able to start it so also installed one in my 16K unit (they are cheap). Can start the 7K with ECO off, but not the 16K unit. Yes I know the Honda will be running HARD to run thAT 16k unit anyway, but that's ok with me and what it's what it's for.

So I'm now looking at soft starters and bumping this thread back to life.
Old 25-05-2019, 13:47   #21
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Could you link to those cheap hard starter units?

And what are you referencing with "soft starter", different aircon compressors or another type of third-party add-on?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 14:06   #22
CLOD

Could but aren’t as those that know the answer know the answer and that’s what I’m looking for
Old 25-05-2019, 14:21   #23

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

We have a 2018 Dometic DCU18 air con, a Dometic water pump, and a Dometic Smart Start II (soft start) and it runs with the Honda 2200 in Eco Mode. It speeds up when the AC kicks in, but then drops back down after start load gone. It does not have enough power to run the battery charger or probably any other big draw item at the same time. I have the companion unit with the 30 amp plug, and we just plug our shore power plug into it. The air conditioner load is wired direct to the boat shore power circuit, not thru an inverter. Google Smart Start II and you'll find specs. The Honda 2000 will not run this setup. (We tried, which is why I now have a new 2200!)

On previous boat I ran a 2008 Dometic Turbo 8K BTU unit, March 3CP water pump and NO soft start using a Honda 2000. The first startup of the air con would have to be with the Honda NOT in eco mode. After that, I could switch to eco mode and it would cover the air con coming on and off without the Honda kicking out as overloaded. Would do that all night until it ran out of gas.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 19:17   #24

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan

Sailorboy, like I said in the original postings, go with the microair unit and you’ll be able to run on eco and be happy to get outta the god awful humidity and heat!! Still working great in this horrific heat of lake Ponchatrain, can’t go without my AC!!
John
Boatingmadeez.com
GoneIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 04:34   #25
CLOD

Microair got back to me (on a memorial day Saturday even) and says the 16k unit will be able to start on the Honda
Old 26-05-2019, 05:18   #26

Boat: Hans Christian 41

I fitted a micro air unit to my16k btu, mermaid, easy to fit and, wow, it really works well, much softer start due the micro air controlling when each element of the system comes on. Instead of a sudden start you get a slow ramp up over about 5 seconds. Honda starts it with no problem now. You have to remove any hard stat capacitor first. They were very helpful assisting with my limited knowledge. Go for it I say.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 10:40   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIsland View Post
Sailorboy, like I said in the original postings, go with the microair unit and you’ll be able to run on eco and be happy to get outta the god awful humidity and heat!! Still working great in this horrific heat of lake Ponchatrain, can’t go without my AC!!
John
Boatingmadeez.com
It's little comfort, I guess (I won't say COLD comfort), but we're still using heat up here.

NORTH in summer, and SOUTH in winter, makes a lot of sense, in our hemisphere.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 13:28   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Soft start options for Air Conditioning

This year so far in Jacksonville has been insane, we got to the Marina this week and it was 104, in May.
Today it hit 111 apparently, but when I checked it had dropped to 107.
I have never seen heat like this, never this early, breaking 100 is very rare any time of the year, I don’t remember it ever breaking 110.
Oh, fried my shorepower cord today
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0757.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	192774
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 14:06   #29
CLOD

near as I can tell the soft start choices are:

- Easy Start from Micro-air for $300
- a Domestic unit for $600

Not finding any problems posted about the Easy Start so once I pull that heat exchanger radiator out of my finely crafted Italian LMG4000 marvel POC and know if if it is repairable I'll know what to do.
Old 27-05-2019, 14:23   #30

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Check out the Supco SPP4E. It's about $30.00. It's a capacitor with a time delay relay. It a simplifed unit compared to the micro air, but seems to work.They make several units, but this is the best alternative for 110v systems.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning