Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2020, 02:29   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: RANT - New Refrigerator Temperature Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
... My question: how long is 10”? Is 10” always the same? Is there a national standard for 10”? What is the allowable deviation for 10”? Is 8 or 12 inches good enough? Does 10” equal 49 degrees F?
Not in the USA!
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3229876

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:15   #47

Boat: Island Packet 40

There are also other inches, such as one in Denmark, which are a different length from the imperial inch.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:10   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
There are also other inches, such as one in Denmark, which are a different length from the imperial inch.
Even the current (international) inch is different length from the older imperial inch.
The Danish and Norwegian: tomme ("inch") tommel ("thumb"), was about 1/24 of an ‘alen’ (first they were shorter, then they were longer, then they were abandoned).
Then there are:
International inches (exactly 25.4 mm - 1.7 millionths of an inch longer than the old imperial inch, and 2 millionths of an inch shorter than the old US inch)
US Survey inches
Continental inches
Scottish inches (about 25.4406 mm)
I’m certain there were/are more.

Americans tend to favour a radical sense of sovereignty (personal, local. State, National - in that order), over any type of rational standardization and collaboration. It’s, simultaneously, one of their greatest assets, and liabilities.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:38   #49
CLOD

Boat: none

Has to be a thread drift record ��
Old 12-09-2020, 11:41   #50
CLOD

for the fixers - the problem is over! I used the old digital temp controller that controlled the old spillover fan and wired it to be the thermostat for the new system. Now the frig is controlling between 35-38F as programed and I I decide to change the range it is easy.

Changes nothing about my rant of how stupid it is of Isotherm to have used the original mechanical thermostat that didn't come on till 48F. It was a good thing I still had the spillover system with digital controller with readover installed and tested the new system before removing. Note to self, expect Italian beer to be warm.

It does cool down a lot slower now as the resistor in the thermostat loop is gone so the compressor now runs at low speed.
Old 12-09-2020, 13:30   #51

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
for the fixers - the problem is over! I used the old digital temp controller that controlled the old spillover fan and wired it to be the thermostat for the new system. Now the frig is controlling between 35-38F as programed and I I decide to change the range it is easy.

Changes nothing about my rant of how stupid it is of Isotherm to have used the original mechanical thermostat that didn't come on till 48F. It was a good thing I still had the spillover system with digital controller with readover installed and tested the new system before removing. Note to self, expect Italian beer to be warm.

It does cool down a lot slower now as the resistor in the thermostat loop is gone so the compressor now runs at low speed.
Well done! And thanks for giving us an excuse to discuss our cold beer preferences

BTW - exactly how long was that new thermostat (in inches)?
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 14:16   #52

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Good work. Nothing to stop you putting another resister in series with the thermostat to up the compressor TPMs. The only complication I can envisage is that if the "relay" in the electronic thermostat is electronic rather than electromechanical the compressor might run at a slightly different speed because of a difference in series resistance.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 14:30   #53

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Recommend you upgrade to a Digital control, they are not that expensive and easy to install, 47 deg. is to warm, before cycling on for sure.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 14:45   #54

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I'll join your rant...

My brand-new Norcold fridge/freezer needs to be set at 4.5 out of 5 to keep anything frozen in the freezer. Lower (warmer) than that and even the fresh food compartment barely keeps things cool.

Shouldn't the "normal" setting be around 2.5 out of 5? Everything would spoil if I left it there. Why even bother with a dial when 90% of its available range is useless?

I've been wanting to complain about this to someone for a long time. Thank you for giving me the opportunity.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 15:08   #55

Boat: Whitby 42

The thermostat for our NovaCool unit had two settings, one for the temperature and another for the differential. Temp is adjusted with the big knob on top, differential required a small screwdriver. Both settings showed in the window.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 16:00   #56
CLOD

[QUOTE=joelhemington;3231130

BTW - exactly how long was that new thermostat (in inches)?[/QUOTE]

Wire was about 66” 1-way
Old 12-09-2020, 16:05   #57
CLOD

Guess it is common for the refrigeration manufacturers to feel we all are just too stupid to notice.

I bet they are mostly right.

Tags
refrigerator