Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing Systems and Fixtures (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   RANT - New Refrigerator Temperature Range (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/rant-new-refrigerator-temperature-range-239663.html)

sailorboy1 09-09-2020 13:57

RANT - New Refrigerator Temperature Range

THIS IS A RANT NOT A PROBLEM TO FORUM FIX AS I KNOW HOW TO FIX IT.

I just finished installing a new refrigeration unit unit so I could split out my old spillover over system. The recommendation for temperature in a refrigerator to be food safe is to be below 40 degree F (4.5C). So how come the freaking brand new Isotherm unit comes with a thermostat that doesn't come on till 45F (10C)!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: . What the heck point is it to cool the food down to 36F and then just let it get back up to 45!!!!

Nicholson58 09-09-2020 14:15

Re: RANT - New Refrigerator Temperature Range

Gee, tell us how you really feel.

sailorboy1 09-09-2020 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholson58 (Post 3228808)
Gee, tell us how you really feel.

maybe when I calm down about the freaking stupid temperature control :mad::mad::mad:

chris95040 09-09-2020 14:42

You’re always such a pleasant, agreeable member of our community.

sailorboy1 09-09-2020 14:46

Is why you read a clearly defined rant? Am I supposed to be agreeable with my own rant?

Artey 09-09-2020 14:52

There are some after market thermal controllers you can add to set precise temperature control much better than the sliding scale knobs most of those things have. I know that doesn't make you feel any better because I agree that is pretty dumb of Isotherm to do that. Maybe they know something about food safety temperatures that your other source didn't?

sailorboy1 09-09-2020 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artey (Post 3228847)
There are some after market thermal controllers you can add to set precise temperature control much better than the sliding scale knobs most of those things have. I have one and it is already installed as that is what I was using to control the spillover fan for the old systemI know that doesn't make you feel any better because I agree that is pretty dumb of Isotherm to do that. Maybe they know something about food safety temperatures that your other source didn't?maybe, but I use the FDA recommendations

just join the rant with me

atoll 09-09-2020 14:59

so how do you fix it?

wsmurdoch 09-09-2020 15:12

Not only does the FDA say less than 40 degrees, but also Ingles Market's Milkco (an old Sealtest operation) whose milk crates say keep refrigerated between 34 to 40 degrees. (It's the USA, so it is Fahrenheit.)

Coolerking 09-09-2020 16:55

Show us where is says cut out is 36 with a 9 degree differential.

kmacdonald 09-09-2020 17:01

It's not broke. Comes on at 45 F and goes off at 36 F. The food in it will be the average of the two values. The thermo is measuring air temp in the frig. The large range is for increased efficiency.

kmacdonald 09-09-2020 17:03

My ARB portable refrig has similar characteristics. Don't let it crank your tractor like that.

sailorboy1 09-09-2020 17:24

Got to 47F, turned the spillover fan back on. Put a digital thermometer in the frig right next to the thermostat and they basically agree.

Maybe a bad thermostat. Unit is new so that keeps my rant alive!

rslifkin 09-09-2020 17:26

I agree with checking the temp of the actual food (preferably right at spillover turn-on) before determining what to do with the thermostat.

Personally, I try to keep a fridge set to keep the food around 34 - 36 degrees, that way there's a little more safety margin for after I've put something new in, or if it's been opened a bunch, etc.

CassidyNZ 09-09-2020 17:43

My fridge is set to switch on at 6.5C (43.7F) and off at 4C (39.2F) so FWIW, I support your rant. How can a fridge not keep the temp where you want it? On the standard analogue thermostat I could set mine to freeze, in fact my freezer has the exact same unit and easily holds -15C (5F).

I have digital temp controllers now but used to use the standard thermostats supplied by Isotherm. Don’t know why yours would be different.