Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 14:27   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Propane Stove/Oven

We have a force 10 2 burner. I recently found a mention in the log that it was purchases in 2002 (I think!). I am sort of impressed by this stove. The previous owners were "shy on details" as Jim puts it. There is plenty of evidence that the stove top has seen heavy use and harsh treatment (for example, there is a black coating that appears to have covered much of the burner tray but the point scraped it off and left a lot of scratches). Yet, despite treatment the stove still works. The peizio ignition no longer works (on the repair list) and I do have complaints.

1. It's very hard to find the sweet spot when lighting the stove to keep it burning. There seems to be exactly one spot. If you are not exactly on that spot the stove won't stay lit.
2. It's not really easy to clean. The top grate lifts up but not high enough to actually get more than tiny fingers to the back of the burner. The top grate does not come off without a screw driver. You can not clean the splash guard behind the stove top without removing the grate.
3. The oven is not adequately insulated. It's very wasteful of fuel. (And the po replaced the oven knob with a know that reads in the wrong direction. Ha!)

I have no other experience with marine stoves, bit now I know what I don't want!
Old 21-02-2017, 14:47   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
1. It's very hard to find the sweet spot when lighting the stove to keep it burning. There seems to be exactly one spot. If you are not exactly on that spot the stove won't stay lit.
2. It's not really easy to clean. The top grate lifts up but not high enough to actually get more than tiny fingers to the back of the burner. The top grate does not come off without a screw driver. You can not clean the splash guard behind the stove top without removing the grate.
3. The oven is not adequately insulated. It's very wasteful of fuel. (And the po replaced the oven knob with a know that reads in the wrong direction. Ha!)
Interesting SD. So far I haven’t experience your issue with sensitive lighting. Even the peizio igniter is doing fine (although I fully expect it to die at some point). Our Our top grate lifts to provide full access for cleaning. And our oven seems adequately insulated. Doesn’t take long to heat up, and maintains temp easy. We cook pretty much all the time when on board, and propane consumption is quite reasonable (less than 10 lb per month).

I wonder if they’ve made improvements to the design as some other previous posters mentioned. Our stove's handle is stainless steel, not wood, that I see older models had.
Old 21-02-2017, 16:47   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Fwiw, i think most marine stoves have inadequate insulation. I would guess that Mike doesn't notice it as much as Sea Dreaming because where he usually sails is a lot cooler than the Sea of Cortez.

When I use the pressure cooker for the 'oven' to bake break, I also put an aluminum foil tent over it, to help radiate the heat back into the p.c. Our fuel consumption stays about the same whether i bake bread in the oven or stove top.

Ann
Old 21-02-2017, 18:05   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Fwiw, i think most marine stoves have inadequate insulation. I would guess that Mike doesn't notice it as much as Sea Dreaming because where he usually sails is a lot cooler than the Sea of Cortez.
You’re forgetting the more likely answer Ann: I don’t know what I’m talking about .

I’ve only intimately experienced two other boat stove/ovens; one was an old Kenyon pressure alcohol and the other was some no-name propane that was on its last legs. My Force 10 is way better than both.

I think the oven could be better insulated, but it performs well by my expectations. Our propane consumption seems pretty reasonable, and we cook virtually all the time on board (who can afford to eat out!?!). Maybe it’s b/c our oven is so small? It is pretty much the smallest one out there. But we can still get a chicken in there, and I can do three small bread loafs at one time. Forget the turkey dinner though .
Old 21-02-2017, 18:10   #20

.....Ooh! turkey dinner, eh? Well, our old Broadwater that I am soooo unhappy with will still cook a mean turkey, but only 6 kilos, not possible to go larger. I remember, as a child, my Mom could could a 12 k. turkey in the oven in our house. That said, it is still a treat for me to cook a turkey and have the leftovers. If cruisers are having Thanksgiving or Christmas nearby, I'm the gal who volunteers to cook the bird!

Cheers, mate, and enjoy your upgraded cooking.

Ann
Old 21-02-2017, 22:11   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
We have a force 10 2 burner. I recently found a mention in the log that it was purchases in 2002 (I think!). I am sort of impressed by this stove. The previous owners were "shy on details" as Jim puts it. There is plenty of evidence that the stove top has seen heavy use and harsh treatment (for example, there is a black coating that appears to have covered much of the burner tray but the point scraped it off and left a lot of scratches). Yet, despite treatment the stove still works. The peizio ignition no longer works (on the repair list) and I do have complaints.

I have no other experience with marine stoves, bit now I know what I don't want!
Check the battery . Its located in the lower left corner of the compartment under the oven. Ours just needed a new battery.
Old 22-02-2017, 08:33   #22

Boat: Freedom, Mull 30

Any problems getting parts for your Broadwater? Can you elaborate on your problems?

Thanks,

Bob
toodleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 11:40   #23

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Our boat came equipped with a force 10 stove. I quickly found out that it burned a ton of propane when using the oven and that it wasn't well suited for baking due to what I would guess we're hot spots in the oven because things like cookies, pies or breads would not bake evenly. I purchased a Domitec two burner stove new from Island marine for $700.00 and I love it. It bakes much better than the force 10 did.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 11:54   #24

I’m really curious as to which Force 10 stove/ovens people have who are having negative experiences, b/c honestly, ours seems just fine. Bakes evenly, seems to retain heat fairly well, is propane efficient… I’m getting worried that I’m either deluded, or perhaps just extremely lucky with our choice of model (I have the Euro Compact version, which is likely their smallest one).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP2266.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	141777   Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP2252.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	141778  

Old 22-02-2017, 12:28   #25

Most of my marine stoves have had very dicey ovens. Hot spots/cold spots and terrible door seals. I did have one with a good door seal, but the brand evades me now. it might have been the Magic Chef.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 16:42   #26

I bought a cheap floor tile from a big box hardware store to help spread the heat. Initially, it cracked (probably due to entrapped moisture becoming steam), so it isn't pretty, but it does help make more even heat.. I also found that baking break in double (nesting) tins helps the bottom not over-brown.

Mike, that chook and bread look really good!

Ann
Old 22-02-2017, 17:37   #27

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

Ann,
We also have a Broadwater Schooner 4 burner that we are very happy with as long as we don't use the oven. It is almost impossible to get up to temperature. I read somewhere that you are supposed to use a 3/8" ID suppy line for propane delivery, as the smaller (conventional size) 1/4" ID lines do not provide sufficient fuel to the oven, and as a result the oven burner is starved of fuel. Curious as to what size supply line you use?
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 17:38   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
Our boat came equipped with a force 10 stove. I quickly found out that it burned a ton of propane when using the oven and that it wasn't well suited for baking due to what I would guess we're hot spots in the oven because things like cookies, pies or breads would not bake evenly. I purchased a Domitec two burner stove new from Island marine for $700.00 and I love it. It bakes much better than the force 10 did.
Two words pizza stone
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E19MW...a-272560532816
Old 22-02-2017, 17:53   #29

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’m really curious as to which Force 10 stove/ovens people have who are having negative experiences, b/c honestly, ours seems just fine. Bakes evenly, seems to retain heat fairly well, is propane efficient… I’m getting worried that I’m either deluded, or perhaps just extremely lucky with our choice of model (I have the Euro Compact version, which is likely their smallest one).
In my case we are likely looking at operator error. The oven dial has been replaced with a knob for an electric stove, in spanish, with the temp running clock wise. I need to replace that knob to give myself a fighting chance! I have not been able to get the heat over 350 f though. It might be related to my ignorance or the stove. I don't know!

Someone also mentioned the battery for the ignition button. The po of our boat had moved the battery box and monkeyed the wiring. The box no longer works and needs to be replaced as well.

However, I did learn something new...thermocouple. I had no idea I needed to hold the gas on to heat the thermocouple. But now that I know, I can now light my stove like a pro
Old 22-02-2017, 22:14   #30

Don't bother to replace the knob, SD. Paint that sucker white. Buy an oven thermometer, and use that to calibrate the knob. Back in business.

Westsailwill: I asked Jim who's a better source for that kind of data, and he said the ID is either 10 mil or 8mm. Sorry to not be more precise. In our case, it is the thermostat that is wonky, the burner gets plenty hot.

Ann

Tags
oven, propane