Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 12:39   #1

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37
Need help with fresh water plumbing fittings

I have a 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI. I am looking for a supplier that still carries the old style fittings that were used for this model. They are creme colored and work with the grey colored tubing. I have to replace a few T's and a few L's and would prefer this route vs gutting all plumbing and doing Pex. Have other jobs taking priority at this time. Any help would be appreciated.
bulldog12266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 14:43   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44
Re: Need help with fresh water plumbing fittings

Without knowing the diameters, it's hard to point you in the right direction, but it sounds similar to what we have on our 2011 FP, which is pretty standard fresh water tubing/connectors - West Marine carries all the tubing and fittings, so you can peruse their stock on line. Hope this helps,

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 04:48   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

If the tubing is PEX, there are several options, usually available from the big box stores.

Flair-It fittings for PEX are sort of creme or white in color... often in stock at RV dealers...

-Chris
Old 15-01-2019, 04:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, bulldog.

Polybutylene pipe, or Poly-B, is a grey plastic pipe that was manufactured from the late ‘70s until the late ‘90s, at which time it was discontinued.
One of the problems with Poly-B plumbing is that the pipe may look fine from the outside, but it’s slowly deteriorating from the inside, and could rupture at any moment.
Poly-B doesn’t handle UV (sunlight) hot water, or chemicals (ie: chlorine) very well, and the fittings were sometimes made of plastic which cracked and leaked over time. There are many reports that Poly-B piping began to leak around 10 to 15 years after installation.
Repairs to Poly-B piping is very difficult since neither PB plumbing pipe, nor the Quest fittings used to connect it, are commonly made or sold anymore. The standard solution to problems, then, is to make repairs to the damaged sections of PB is by transitioning to another type of pipe (ie: PEX), or even to re-pipe the entire system.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 05:54   #5

Pat I think I am looking for the fittings that were replaced by the fittings that West Marine now sells. I am thinking I will have no choice but to go to Pex. Its not a bad thing and will be a good way to fully document/inspect the freshwater system. Just time consuming. This boat was the first boat I ever owned so projects take a little longer not being a seasoned pro. So far I have been lucky and have done all of my own work. Thanks for the quick reply! Fair winds and following seas!
Old 15-01-2019, 05:58   #6

Gord thank you for filling in my very generic terms. Yes that is exactly what I have! I am going to make the transition and pex the entire boat. Thanks for your expertise much appreciated
Old 15-01-2019, 09:12   #7

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

PEX tubing has many advantages over copper in homes, especially those subject to freezing. On boats not subject to freezing or properly drained I see no benefit to justify the cost and inconvenience. Boat fresh water is generally a low pressure application. Clear 1/2" tubing from West or any hardware supply is much cheaper and works well with no tools except razor blade and socket wrench to adjust clamps
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 09:14   #8

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

RV sailes and Mobilehome supply stores use the smaller pax with the pish on fittings that will fit the oldgray pipe !
Hope this helps
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 09:25   #9

Boat: C&C 38 Mark III

Just a suggestion for you PEX work - pick up a proper shear. While you can cut pex with a sharp knife the shear will be way easier and give you a perfect 90 degree cut every time and they are not expensive.
Calaban-Alleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 10:06   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

Name:   polytopex.png
Views: 1310
Size:  3.4 KB
Home Depot has repair fittings Poly-b to Pex.
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 10:20   #11

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

My husband's a master plumber and says that if it were his boat he would get rid of the PolyB, some data indicates health hazards. Pex is so adaptable it's great on a boat. Sorry for info no one wants to hear....
Old 15-01-2019, 12:31   #12

Boat: Byliner 3258

If you only intend on a few fitting because of cost, use the brass Shark Bite push on fittings from any building supply. You do not use crimpers and the fittings are removable and reusable in the future if needed. These fittings will also work on your gray pipe.I have used and sold thousands of these and never had a leak or have anyone complain of leaks. These fittings also flexible and can take minor movement without problems. Happy plumbing
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 12:55   #13

Boat: Outremer 50S

Problems with polybutylene pipe seem to be USA specific - leading to its essentially being banned there. Probably something to do with chloramines in much of the public water supply and/or poor quality/manufacture. The rest of the world still uses a lot of polybutylene. So, if you don't want to redo the whole system you might source the few parts you need in Europe or the Pacific. For instance, in New Zealand polybutylene is still probably the predominant plumbing material and can be purchased at Bunnings (the equivalent of Home Depot). If you have any friends in some part of the world that still uses the stuff, or you search around online you can probably get a few items ordered and shipped.

I'll stay out of the debate on safety and/or suitability.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 13:03   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunky Dory View Post
If you only intend on a few fitting because of cost, use the brass Shark Bite push on fittings ...
Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 18:29   #15

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

Boat Owners Warehouse (BOW) carries most Quest fittings/sizes you might need.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, water