Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 09:52   #1

Pressure Water Pump

The Pressure Water Pump in my boat seems to not be working.
When I winterize the boat for winter, the pump was working fine. To winterize, I emptied the water system and poured three or four gallons of antifreeze (the one for water systems), then run it through the lines.

As I am now trying to de-winterize and flush the antifreeze out, I can hear the Pressure Water Pump working, but there is very little pressure (I filled the tank again), just a little more than a trickle, albeit constant.

I am really not familiar with water pumps, so I am not even quite sure where to start. Does it sound like the pump is gone? The pump is almost new. What can it be the problem? Can pumps be fixed or is it common to simply replace them when they start showing issues?

Thank you!
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:59   #2

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II
Re: Pressure Water Pump

It sounds like you have an air locked pump. Try priming it by disconnecting the input hose, fill the pump with water, and put the hose back on.
You might have to repeat this process several times.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:01   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

If you have an in-line filter it may be clogged. If so open it and change the filter.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 18:18   #4

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
If you have an in-line filter it may be clogged. If so open it and change the filter.
2nd that. If you have an inline filter, most likely it will be between the tank and pump.
Have you checked the bilge to make sure you don't have a leak in the line somewhere?
Also, any chance your vent is clogged? An easy test, just take off the water tank fill cap and if the water runs better, you have a vent issue.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water