Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2017, 13:13   #1

Draining the water tank via the water maker!

Hello CF…

I have a Dessalator Duo 100 (12VDC/240VAC) factory installed in our 2013 Lagoon 400.

Last week I accidentally turned on the Duo 100 with the through hull fitting for the sea water exit hose closed. Naturally there were bad results: The sea water exit hose split near the through hull (easily replaced), and the water quality sensor (red rubber plug with two electrodes) was pushed out of its fitting (also easily repaired with new teflon tape). The Duo 100 appears to be functioning--panel showing good water quality and water seen flowing inside the Duo 100 fresh water outlet hose.

Here is the symptom of my remaining problem: After I turn on the fresh water pump to pressurize the boat’s water system and with the Duo 100's sea water exit through hull open, fresh water flows out the DUO 100’s sea water exit hose. If the fresh water pump is left on long enough the entire fresh water tank will be pumped out.

The source of the problem doesn't jump out at me when I'm digging around behind the Duo 100 panel. I have not tried to run the Duo 100 for long enough to see if it is filling the water tank, and I haven't run it with with the boat's water system pressurized. For now I'm not using it and simply close the Duo 100 sea water exit hose through hull so the fresh water doesn't get pumped out. I have tried to follow the plumbing schematic provided in the manual and on-line, but I can't figure out where the problem may be, and I hope CF members can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Bill

PS--This is clearly caused by my mistake and is not criticism of the Dessalator product which has operated perfectly for over 14,000 miles and in spite of less than perfect maintenance by me! I also sent this e-mail to Dessalator—they have a good reputation with customer service, I’ll post their reply...
Beach View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 13:52   #2
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31
Re: Draining the water tank via the water maker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach View View Post
Hello CF…

I have a Dessalator Duo 100 (12VDC/240VAC) factory installed in our 2013 Lagoon 400.

Last week I accidentally turned on the Duo 100 with the through hull fitting for the sea water exit hose closed. Naturally there were bad results: The sea water exit hose split near the through hull (easily replaced), and the water quality sensor (red rubber plug with two electrodes) was pushed out of its fitting (also easily repaired with new teflon tape). The Duo 100 appears to be functioning--panel showing good water quality and water seen flowing inside the Duo 100 fresh water outlet hose.

Here is the symptom of my remaining problem: After I turn on the fresh water pump to pressurize the boat’s water system and with the Duo 100's sea water exit through hull open, fresh water flows out the DUO 100’s sea water exit hose. If the fresh water pump is left on long enough the entire fresh water tank will be pumped out.

The source of the problem doesn't jump out at me when I'm digging around behind the Duo 100 panel. I have not tried to run the Duo 100 for long enough to see if it is filling the water tank, and I haven't run it with with the boat's water system pressurized. For now I'm not using it and simply close the Duo 100 sea water exit hose through hull so the fresh water doesn't get pumped out. I have tried to follow the plumbing schematic provided in the manual and on-line, but I can't figure out where the problem may be, and I hope CF members can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Bill

PS--This is clearly caused by my mistake and is not criticism of the Dessalator product which has operated perfectly for over 14,000 miles and in spite of less than perfect maintenance by me! I also sent this e-mail to Dessalator—they have a good reputation with customer service, I’ll post their reply...

Is the watermaker intake switched to tank(as opposed to seawater) ? This is the “flush” mode....
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 14:55   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj View Post
Is the watermaker intake switched to tank(as opposed to seawater) ? This is the “flush” mode....
That was my first thought as well ....or perhaps that valve got damaged internally when OP accidentally back pressured the plumbing
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 15:05   #4

Thanks for the quick replies!I'll check this out next Friday. I have always used the "auto flush" on the panel, more convenient than the manual method. I had to pull the boat out of the water a couple of weeks ago, let's hope it is just me shutting the wrong valves....
Old 27-11-2017, 16:36   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

First there is no reason to have a shut off valve on a watermakers brine discharge for this very reason. Check your fresh water flush solenoid on the system. Chances are it's stuck open, may be just a matter of cleaning it. If it's stuck open your house pressure pump will just keep sending tank water through the watermaker and overboard through the brine discharge hose.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 17:30   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
First there is no reason to have a shut off valve on a watermakers brine discharge for this very reason.
Hi Tellie, just to clarify.....all my thru hulls near the waterline have shutoff valves for when we are away from the boat.
Exercised monthly and a "Thru Hulls Closed "sign put on the console when closed

I just feel better that I can close off every thru hull in case of a fire and massive hose damages underway
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 04:30   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies!I'll check this out next Friday. I have always used the "auto flush" on the panel, more convenient than the manual method. I had to pull the boat out of the water a couple of weeks ago, let's hope it is just me shutting the wrong valves....
Hi Beach View, I may have the same or similar problem that you described in this thread. Did you ever get to the bottom of the cause of this?

Thanks
starlight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 04:34   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, starlight.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 21:52   #9

Hello Starlight2

Actually I forgot about this thread since my water maker is working fine now....As I recall it was my error, but I can't remember which valves I had out of sequence. In any case, I did call Dessalator's customer service line and they talked me down off the ledge and sent me a schematic that I didn't have in the manual.

I'm away from the boat at the moment, but when I go back I'll look at my valve setting for normal operation. Also, take a look at these instructions:

http://www.tamiro-catamaran.com/down...WATERMAKER.pdf

Regards,

Bill
Old 05-05-2019, 00:46   #10

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hi Bill,

thanks for your reply. It´s all sorted now. The trick is to follow instructions to the dot . By leaving the pressure down until the red alarm light goes on and then increasing the pressure to the green it makes sure that the system is properly filled with salt water and all air is out. Works like a charm now.

Thanks,
Heribert

Quote:
Hello Starlight2

Actually I forgot about this thread since my water maker is working fine now....As I recall it was my error, but I can't remember which valves I had out of sequence. In any case, I did call Dessalator's customer service line and they talked me down off the ledge and sent me a schematic that I didn't have in the manual.

I'm away from the boat at the moment, but when I go back I'll look at my valve setting for normal operation. Also, take a look at these instructions:

http://www.tamiro-catamaran.com/down...WATERMAKER.pdf

Regards,

Bill
starlight2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water