Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2015, 15:32   #22

Boat: 45' Plywood Ketch, Homebuilt
Re: Pipe Dope Instead of Teflon Tape

Maybe I should start this response with "Don't Try This at Home."
While Buddy boating, the diesel fuel line broke at the fitting on my friend's engine, and he didn't have any spare ferrules. Using Teflon tape, I made one for him, and our travels continued without mishap. Ultimately we separated, and when I saw him a year later and asked when and where he replaced the Teflon, he said he never did and made the point, " why mess with something that was working."

And for those who flare copper tubing rather than using ferrules, in an EMERGENCY, where the tubing cracks at the flare's surface, Teflon tape can judicially be wrapped around the seating surface of the fitting (not covering the orifice), the fitting can then be reconnected, and hopefully the leak will have stopped. And yes, I have tried it, and it has worked well.

I carry aboard Teflon tape, Teflon based pipe dope, and Permatex #2, but I prefer to use Teflon tape, and while EVERYONE including manufacturers will tell you not to use Teflon tape on diesel fittings, I have used it without fail for years. The "trick" is to start winding at least one thread back so no tape enters the system, because that is what it is all about. However, I strongly recommend you follow all the manufacture's instructions so as not to void any warranties. As for me, by the time I get around to installing the product, the warranty has usually expired months ago.

Finally, I find Teflon tape easy to use, and easy to clean off threads if the parts have to be disassembled.

Oh, one further note: Teflon tape comes in different thicknesses. I use the heavier grade for larger pipes.

Caveat utilitor!!!
SVJennie is offline   Reply With Quote