Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 17:14   #31

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K
Re: New Toilet from Raritan- PH SuperFlush

I assure you it had thru bolts and they were spinning so I couldn't just take the nuts off
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 17:24   #32

Peghall ,thanks for the input. I think I will save another $150 to buy the Raritan. I guess I was talking about the base bolts not brackets. Mine was all broken at the base and at the pump.
Old 11-05-2016, 17:37   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I looked at prices for the Raritan PHII and the new Superflush on the net. The original, compact version of the PHII was listed for$415, the new Superflush also compact model $295.

Why is the new one so much cheaper? Is the Superflush the el cheapo model? Did Raritan cut corners on this one or just a simpler design, less expensive to manufacture?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 19:16   #34
Marine Service Provider

The new PH SuperFlush costs less because Raritan has been able to cut costs...for instance, the SuperFlush will replace both the PHII and the PHC...it has the same base as the Fresh Head All of which may not sound like much to you, but anyone in mfr'g knows that a $.50 saving there can take $5.00 or even more off a retail list price.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 20:28   #35

Boat: Corbin 39

I don't have one but would love one. I just helped bring a boat up my way that had been on the hard for 7 years and once we had her in the water we worked on the Raritan head , since we had a maybe 5 day sail ahead of us. Damn thing still worked no effort needed , simply let water in and she pumped like brand new we were all amazed . When my Jabsco bites the bullet ill change over
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 08:03   #36

You all convinced me to go for the Raritan model for $300 but now I see an ad at West Marine for the 12v electric jabsco for $419 and a $50 rebate. Any comments?
Old 18-05-2016, 08:28   #37
Marine Service Provider

Electric toilets need to be on their own dedicated circuit shared by nothing else with a separate breaker...so if you're "upgrading" from manual to electric you'd have that additional expense. And you should know that all Jabsco products are now made in Mexico using parts and components made in China and other comparable "offshore" sources. Raritan products are still made in the US. If you want an electric toilet, you can buy a Raritan SeaEra "conversion" SeaEra Conversion Kit which allows you re-use your Jabsco bowl seat and lid (yes it WILL fit) for about the same price as the Jabsco at WM. Ask HopCar for a quote. You'd have the same additional cost of the new wiring for it or any other electric toilet.
Old 27-03-2018, 10:42   #38

Boat: Tartan 37

I know this is an old tread. But I have a couple questions. What has been people's experience with the Raritan-PH SuperFlush? I currently cruise our boat 7 months a year and I'm going thru a Jabsco pump at a rate of one a year. I bought two new pumps off eBay, where people were converting to electric. I used my last one and I'm done. I have the household bowl and would like to keep it. Question is it worth swapping bowls and do they fit? Or just get the Raritan-PH complete. I don't see vendors selling without the bowl.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 11:55   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
FYI, the PH SuperFlush actually replaces both the PHII and the PHC (compact version of the PHII). As you noted, it uses the PHII pump...the base is the same one as their Fresh Head, so they both are "plug and play" replacements for a Jabsco manual.
Hi Peg,

Hope you're still following this thread. I am trying to decide whether or not to swap my Groco HF head for a Raritan. Groco did confirm that they don't have a larger bowl to fit the old HF series but one of the Raritan or Jabsco bowls might match. All things considered upgrading to the Raritan is looking attractive.

BUT, I'm confused about the difference between the PHII and the PH Superflush. You mention the Superflush replaces the PHII but both are still listed by Raritan. Also the pricing for the Superflush is typically $150-$170 less than the PHII. BUT, Raritan website shows list prices for the Superflush $300 more than the PHII.

Called Raritan and the tech says the same pump, same quality just slightly smaller footprint and upgraded base for the Superflush.

So what's your take on this one?

Thanks
Skip
Old 27-03-2018, 13:20   #40
Marine Service Provider

There are only two differences between the PHII and the PH SuperFlush: the base...Raritan redesigned it to match the mounting bolt pattern on almost all manual toilets toilets, and pump handle...they made it a telescoping handle because it was too long to be able to close the head door on some boats that have very "tight" head compartments. The pump--the most important part--is still the PHII pump.

So by all means, go with the SuperFlush. Only a few retailers seem to have it...Defender's price is +/- $300 depending on whether you want the small "marine" bowl or the larger "household" bowl, and I think Hopkins Carter is about the same.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 27-03-2018, 13:42   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
There are only two differences between the PHII and the PH SuperFlush: the base...Raritan redesigned it to match the mounting bolt pattern on almost all manual toilets toilets, and pump handle...they made it a telescoping handle because it was too long to be able to close the head door on some boats that have very "tight" head compartments. The pump--the most important part--is still the PHII pump.

So by all means, go with the SuperFlush. Only a few retailers seem to have it...Defender's price is +/- $300 depending on whether you want the small "marine" bowl or the larger "household" bowl, and I think Hopkins Carter is about the same.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Thank you Peg....... again.

Going with a Superflush. Just couldn't figure out why the PHII lists for a lot more but then, the support guy at Raritan was aware of the issue and was just as baffled.

Definitely the household bowl which I think is a slight euphemism anyway. Even the household size bowls on marine heads are smaller than the ones in my household but beat the heck out of the marine size bowls. I've used buckets that were bigger.
Old 27-03-2018, 15:13   #42
SFS

I put one in last year, and finally got around to using it over the past 12 days since our cruising started. Ours leaks, at the intake valve stem. Water comes up thru that valve, and cascades over the edges of the threaded top, just under the dry/flush selector. This is despite multiple o-rings and gaskets. Took it apart today, no visible issues with the parts. Talked to Brian in Tech Support today, and he is sending me a new intake valve under warranty. Great customer service.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, raritan