Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2023, 06:50   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 41
Letting WM membrane sit with salt water for 24h

When I'm by myself on the boat I need to run the watermaker for around 1h a week to supply my needs, but the recommendation is to not let it sit for more than 5 days so what I usually do is run the WM for 20 minutes or so for 3 consecutive days, with no fresh water flush in between. Then I do a fresh water flush, clean the pre filters and let them dry before putting them back in.

This way I clean the pre-filters once every 8 days instead of once every 5 days, but I wonder if leaving the membrane sit for 24h with salt water can reduce its lifetime?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-A225F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 07:13   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Letting WM membrane sit with salt water for 24h

Every time I have seen a similar question the answer is you probably don't need to fresh water flush the WM if you are going to run it again the next day. But if not it really should be fresh water flushed.

I got fresh water "cheap" a few months ago and didn't flush enough, or waited too long between. Now my system that was making 35 gph is dong 22-25 gph because of membrane fouling. That is going to be $500 to fix when I get back somewhere I can.

So now I am fresh flushing 1.5 minutes after each use (about 5 gal) instead of just 1 minute. And I either make water or reflush every 5 days.

If I only had to run my WM an hour a week I definitely would run the extra 20 minutes and do a real good flush after and I would do this every 5 days regardless. Is running the WM enough of a "problem" that you would prefer to have to replace membranes etc. instead???
Old 21-03-2023, 16:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Fouled membranes can be cleaned. Plugged membranes can be cleaned by back flushing. It's not rocket science.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 16:49   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

I run my wm every day, without any flush or fresh water rinse. My last membrane lasted 10 years. The only reason I changed it was because it was 10 years old. All pressures and flow rate were within spec, and PPM was below 200. Admittedly, this was in the Bahamas. Other areas would be different.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 16:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Fouled membranes can be cleaned. Plugged membranes can be cleaned by back flushing. It's not rocket science.
What exactly do you mean by “backflushing”? Membrane makers typically do not recommend any back pressure at all….
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 17:36   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
have you successfully done it?

Didn't work for me
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 18:47   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Didn't work for me
That's what I like about my powersurvivor35 it came with a membrane cleaning pressure vessel that allows for free flow of cleaning solutions .
But they all can be cleaned using the pickling setup and the cleaning solution for scale removal
https://www.boundlessoutfitters.com/...over-1-lb-jar/
They also make one to clean the organic matter out as well .
https://www.boundlessoutfitters.com/...anic-5-lb-tub/
Old 21-03-2023, 22:35   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Didn't work for me

Backflushing
I live aboard and I make water in fresh and salt. There are several filters before the membranes down to 1 micron. My home dock is on the Columbia River and it can be silty. I forgot to check my filters and plugged the membranes with river silt.
To backflush, I use a Y so water enters the opposite end of the membranes at the same pressure so I don't have a excessive pressure drop. I start with the pressure all the way down and gradually increase to to about 100psi. I let it run for an hour and the membranes make water like before. Tds on fresh is about 5 and below 150 on salt. Membranes are going on 11 years. And I have the water tested about once a year.
Sometimes when the system sits too long in fresh w/o use I get marine growth. I flush with sodium hydroxide to clean, usually yearly. I've never pickled them.
Old 21-03-2023, 22:54   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Backflushing
I live aboard and I make water in fresh and salt. There are several filters before the membranes down to 1 micron. My home dock is on the Columbia River and it can be silty. I forgot to check my filters and plugged the membranes with river silt.
To backflush, I use a Y so water enters the opposite end of the membranes at the same pressure so I don't have a excessive pressure drop. I start with the pressure all the way down and gradually increase to to about 100psi. I let it run for an hour and the membranes make water like before. Tds on fresh is about 5 and below 150 on salt. Membranes are going on 11 years. And I have the water tested about once a year.
Sometimes when the system sits too long in fresh w/o use I get marine growth. I flush with sodium hydroxide to clean, usually yearly. I've never pickled them.
I pickle mine every winter when cruising my home waters puget sound use rv potable water antifreeze propylene glycol. Just follow your manufacturer instructions for pickling
Old 22-03-2023, 04:10   #10

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

A word of caution on RV antifreeze. It all looks the same, but some is PG, some is ethanol (alcohol), and some is a mixture. Most is poorly labeled -- although price is often the best indicator. Ethanol will kill plastic components (pumps, filter bowls, etc) on boat systems and I assume it is even worse for water makers.

Read labels carefully!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 05:58   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
A word of caution on RV antifreeze. It all looks the same, but some is PG, some is ethanol (alcohol), and some is a mixture. Most is poorly labeled -- although price is often the best indicator. Ethanol will kill plastic components (pumps, filter bowls, etc) on boat systems and I assume it is even worse for water makers.

Read labels carefully!
Hence I specified Propylene Glycol .
Old 22-03-2023, 07:35   #12

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Hence I specified Propylene Glycol .
That was not specifically directed at you. I suspect that you were using the right thing, as you said the right words. It was more of a generalized PSA. I know in my early days, when winterizing my boat, I made that mistake.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 07:52   #13

Boat: Riva 48

You are worrying too much about this from an outdated perspective that you should baby the membrane. The typical SW membrane (2540) costs $200. Most of us change engine oil annually, why would you want to keep your membrane for 10 years? My experience is as follows:

- Survivor 35 membrane from eBay. Was maintained annually with glycol until 2006, then sat in storage for 12 years. Dry. Got it, worked liked a champ, the watermaker was run once a month with no cleaning and lasted until I sold the boat (3+ years).

- Another 2514 membrane, ran monthly with no fresh water flush, gradually started reducing output which was restored just by doing a fresh water flush.

- Another 2540 membrane, dead on arrival, replaced by the manufacturer.

I suggest use the water maker as you need it, try to run it for a few minutes at the end with no pressure (i.e. salt water flush) and if you see the output decreasing by more than 20-30%, only then do a fresh water flush. If you clog it, don't bother with cleaning chemicals (they are half the cost of a new membrane), just replace the thing.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 09:23   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
You are worrying too much about this from an outdated perspective that you should baby the membrane. The typical SW membrane (2540) costs $200. Most of us change engine oil annually, why would you want to keep your membrane for 10 years? My experience is as follows:

- Survivor 35 membrane from eBay. Was maintained annually with glycol until 2006, then sat in storage for 12 years. Dry. Got it, worked liked a champ, the watermaker was run once a month with no cleaning and lasted until I sold the boat (3+ years).

- Another 2514 membrane, ran monthly with no fresh water flush, gradually started reducing output which was restored just by doing a fresh water flush.

- Another 2540 membrane, dead on arrival, replaced by the manufacturer.

I suggest use the water maker as you need it, try to run it for a few minutes at the end with no pressure (i.e. salt water flush) and if you see the output decreasing by more than 20-30%, only then do a fresh water flush. If you clog it, don't bother with cleaning chemicals (they are half the cost of a new membrane), just replace the thing.
Well mine costs $400 so worth the occasional cleaning when ppm goes over 350.
Cost me $20 for a bottle that has enough powder to do a dozen cleanings .
Old 22-03-2023, 11:21   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Well mine costs $400 so worth the occasional cleaning when ppm goes over 350.
Cost me $20 for a bottle that has enough powder to do a dozen cleanings .
Yep, the cleaning chemical is cheap. Why change membranes that are working within spec's?

Tags
salt, salt water, water