Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2020, 18:25   #1

Boat: Durbeck 50
Identifying an old Grunert freezer

I have an old big blue Grunert 110volt freezer hold plate system that is water cooled. I am trying to determine what model it is, and what refrigerant it uses. I can't find any nameplate data on it or the hold plates. Other than that it's a Grunert. Need to determine what it is because I am planning to replace the compressor/condenser unit with a new Coolblue system from CruiseRO., And hopefully use my old hold plates. If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you
Tiberon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 06:15   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Identifying an old Grunert freezer

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tiberon.

Maybe Dometic Marine, or a distributer, can help.
Grunert is now part of Dometic:
DOMETIC MARINE
2000 N. Andrews Ave. Ext.
Pompano Beach, FL 33069 USA
Tel: 954-973-2477
Fax 954-979-4414
www.DometicUSA.com l MarineSales@DometicUSA.com

United States & Canada Tech Support 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Eastern Time: 800-542-2477After hours and weekends: 888-440-4494

International Sales & Service: Europe & the Middle East: Call +44(0)870-330-6101
For all other areas visit our website to !nd your nearest distributor

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...-refrigerators

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 12:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberon12 View Post
I have an old big blue Grunert 110volt freezer hold plate system that is water cooled. I am trying to determine what model it is, and what refrigerant it uses. I can't find any nameplate data on it or the hold plates. Other than that it's a Grunert. Need to determine what it is because I am planning to replace the compressor/condenser unit with a new Coolblue system from CruiseRO., And hopefully use my old hold plates. If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you
If the 110 volt unit was sold prior to 1995 and has a 1/2 HP or larger compressor it will use Freon CFC refrigerant and was sold with Alkabenzne oil. The holding plate evaporator coils inside plates are then normally sized to accommodate a compressor"s output. The Coldblue compressor's output is not likely going to be comparable with your present plate system or box size.

Measure present plate tubing size and plate size along with box size. Then contact Technautics Coolblue refrigeration for their recommendations. Also contact Demetic who now manufacturers the old Grunert components.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 15:23   #4
Marine Service Provider

My guess is an AC450 or 475, I would guess the smaller (450) one if there is only one box.
How many plates total?
Can you see the numbers on the compressor label?
Try and get some pictures up and I can tell you what it is.
Those were/are running R404a refrigerant.
I'm pretty sure that if you make the switch, you will have to run 100% technautics system including their plates, but they will advise you on that.
What's wrong with the system you have now?
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 15:41   #5

Boat: Durbeck 50

I have sent an email to Dometic, hopefully they will get back to me.

I believe it is original to the boat, so built in 1983. The current plates are identical in size to the Coolblue plates. Coolblue thinks that the plates should work with their compressor system. Before I start ordering parts I want to verify what refrigerant was/is in the current system so I can properly flush the lines and plates.

There are two plates
Hold plate dimensions
Height: 22"
Width: 13"
Depth: 2.5
The reason I want to get rid of the old system is that it draws 15amps while running and so I have to run the generator for about 2-3 hours a day just to keep it at the temperature we like. Want to go with a 12v system so I no longer need to run my generator.

Technautics said he believes it is possible to cover the plates I have and that they do that frequently. Still need to verify some additional information with him
Tiberon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 18:23   #6
Marine Service Provider

The refrigerant in 1983 would either CFC or HCFC both are Freon refrigerants, it is the oil res-ado that needs to be flashed from plates. The new condensing unit will define refrigerant and type oil. The new compressor's suction return line size will determine the maximum evaporator coil tube diameter inside plates and through out low side . If plate tubing is too large flow velocity will be too low to insure oil return to compressor, this is especially important on duel freezer plates.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:29   #7

Boat: Catalina Morgan 44CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberon12 View Post
Hi - I know this was from a couple years ago but I came across your post as I was researching a solution for my boat. I have the same refrigerator system as you and I’m wondering if you were able to find a compressor to work with your old holding plates.
shmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:13   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Ours ran R404. We still have the unit, we replaced it with a 12v system, if you are interested. It ran when removed, and had a recent replacement compressor. Also have a freezer cold plate.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 16:27   #9

Boat: Catalina Morgan 44CC

Did you reuse the cold plates when you installed the 12v compressor? Or all new components?

Thanks for offering, but I’m not interested in the 110v comp.

Steve
shmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer, R12, r134