Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2017, 06:59   #1

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Reefer update: from OLD Grunert to ???

I have a really old belt-drive Grunert reefer on my B-40. I mean OLD- it is original to the boat, which was launched in ‘73. (Anybody here that old?)
Anyway, it still works. It keeps frozen things frozen in Texas in the summer. In those days , (if not always) Grunert packaged systems, meaning they bought off-the-shelf components such as motor (Century) and compressor (Tecumseh), solenoid (Cole Hersee) thermostat ( who knows?) , and possibly made the condensing, evaporator coils and mounting frame/pan themselves.
The Tecumseh compressor hasn’t been made for at least 20+ years. Parts are totally unavailable. The 1/4 HP motor draws per measure as much as 36 amps.
Clearly better choices (in many ways) exist today: more efficient, possibly more effective. Possibly not better built.
I would like to change the compressor and motor to a modern integrated compressor like a Danfoss. Other than re-insulating the box itself, I don’t want to change all that out with its attendant re-design headaches. I want to keep existing coils and lines- they’re cupro-nickel, and since they’ve only been re-charged twice in the last 25 years I will continue to gamble with them. It is presently charged with “Hot Shot” (R-134?)
In summary, if possible I would like to somehow save the refrigerant that is in the system and drop in a new compressor, retaining the existing coil and line system.
Am I making this sound too simple? Is this doable?
Old 15-10-2017, 07:25   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Reefer update: from OLD Grunert to ???

You would be surprised how many people have older boats with old systems in them , some are working , some not. I know Rich @ Technautics does something like what you are talking about . He retains your holding plate and places one of his dc condensing units on it . We don't do that . I say if you are going to all the trouble of reinsulating the box and you want to realize the full benefit of that work . You would want to go with one of our custom systems with solid copper thin evaporator plates built to your spec and a Danfoss BD35 condensing unit . You will gain the space in your box , be able to run easily on solar alone , in and out of the water and have box temperature control to within one degree .
We have a Bristol 45.5 and leave our systems running only on solar for weeks on end , and that's with two units running .

Regards John
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote