Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 20:49   #1

Boat: 1972 Morgan Out Island, 41'
Hot shower options good enough for the girlfriend to move in

So, my old ways of sailor showering are not enough for the Mrs, and with our new 41' Morgan she is planning to move in, so long as the shower option is improved. Im a sneak aboard and the boat is really just a dock queen, we spend most of the time with it just as our home instead of sailing. Turning on the engine twice a day everyday to shower as sneakabaords doesnt seem the smartest, especially with the noise it creates. Electric options are only 30A 250V from the dock, but drawing a huge load all the time for tankless might bother the harbormaster given that we are sneakabaords, and im not sure how effective tank would be. Getting a good precisiontemp showermate can be worth the investment for me, but the split on sailors deciding the dangers of propane water heaters seems like a touchy subject. Does anyone have any advice here? If not the shower mate may be the final route, besides getting her to learn to turn of, lather, turn on, and rinse.
Will10MNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 20:53   #2

Boat: Two
Re: Hot shower options good enough for the girlfriend to move in

Since it's a dock queen, with supplied water and electricity, this is super simple to install, inexpensive, and as safe as it gets.

The harbour master won't notice the 1500w it draws.

That one is 5Gal, but you can get smaller yet: 2 gal.

The recovery time on the 5 gallon would be around 40 minutes, if the target temperature is 140f/60c (which is normal for water heaters), and the ground water is 60f/15c.

KISS.
xxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 21:18   #3

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

most boat HWS are heated by either the hw ex the engine OR via an electric element which will run of shore power. not sure about your boat but should be this way if it's new - certainly our is and we are 15yrs old...

our elements are abt 6amps @ 240v (or say 1400w). agree with xxxxx - this shouldn't cause any ripples.

cheers,
Old 08-02-2021, 21:23   #4

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Demand hot water heater like the hurricane, got fuel you got hot water until out of water......saved many relationships.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 21:25   #5

Buy a sun shower, it will set you back 5 or 10 bucks. Hang it outside and run the head into the shower through the deck hatch....your good to go.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 22:01   #6

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

....or get a pump-up garden sprayer and paint it black. Pressurized sun shower.
Old 08-02-2021, 23:04   #7

Boat: 46 ft cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Buy a sun shower, it will set you back 5 or 10 bucks. Hang it outside and run the head into the shower through the deck hatch....your good to go.
Both you guys are nuts. Your advice is instant chick repellent.

Unless you are into hairy underarmed back to nature women
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:44   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41
Send a message via Skype™ to GinTonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will10MNT View Post
So, my old ways of sailor showering are not enough for the Mrs, and with our new 41' Morgan she is planning to move in, so long as the shower option is improved. Im a sneak aboard and the boat is really just a dock queen, we spend most of the time with it just as our home instead of sailing. Turning on the engine twice a day everyday to shower as sneakabaords doesnt seem the smartest, especially with the noise it creates. Electric options are only 30A 250V from the dock, but drawing a huge load all the time for tankless might bother the harbormaster given that we are sneakabaords, and im not sure how effective tank would be. Getting a good precisiontemp showermate can be worth the investment for me, but the split on sailors deciding the dangers of propane water heaters seems like a touchy subject. Does anyone have any advice here? If not the shower mate may be the final route, besides getting her to learn to turn of, lather, turn on, and rinse.
===
I have an Excel VentFree Tankless water heater , it is an advanced version of the Paloma from a few years ago. Starts up with only 2 psi. of water pressure. Holds up to 150 psi. All other tankless gas water heaters require at least 20 psi to start up due to their outdated technology. Electronic Ignition: no standing pilot required ODS Vent-Free technology:ODS is to gas what a circuit breaker is to electricity. Bought it at https://excelonlinestore.com/product...-ventfree-lpg/. Thats a real girlfriend mover
GinTonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:47   #9

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I use a Webasto Thermo-Top heater to heat my 12 gallon calorifier. The heater is on a timer and runs every morning for about 40 minutes, to supply us with enough water to last through the day. Uses a small amount of diesel and a few Amps of the battery.

The good thing is it can also run a heating system if the weather is cold.

If you already have a calorifier, this is an option, but it is one more thing to maintain. I would go for electric.

The electricity your calorifier uses is not very much if you calculate it. OK, the Wattage is maybe high, but the runtime is low. If you are worried about Watts, you can switch the heating element to something lower, say 800W. Will not make any difference to the total energy consumed, but maybe keep the harbour master happy.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:49   #10

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

If you are situated in the sunnier part of the world, you could just install a 12V/200W heating element into your calorifier and run this off 200W solar. Simple and cheap. Cold showers cloudy days, though.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:49   #11

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Run a black hose up and down your mast (haul the centre up with a halyard) or snake it on the cabin top or deck. It'll heat up enough in the sun to give anyone a good shower on a sunny afternoon - or circulate it into an insulated tank for hot water later.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:07   #12

Quote:
So, my old ways of sailor showering are not enough for the Mrs, and with our new 41' Morgan she is planning to move in, so long as the shower option is improved..

GF (as in the title) or Mrs? There are lots of GFs that would love to enjoy the boat as is. A Mrs? Not so much. Go for the upgrade, it will improve your selection pool in the future, if necessary.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:26   #13

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:

You have a lot of nerve coming on here and proclaiming to be a sneakaboard when you say you really live on the boat. Your attitude creates a big problem for the real liveaboards who pay their fair share. Pay the few extra bucks to the harbormaster to be legal.

Install a small 120V water heater that also has the engine water coil for heating by engine. Your GF will respect you for your new honesty and you'll have plenty of hot water.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:37   #14

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We have used instant propane water heaters for 35 years on board Wings. We started with a Paloma and have used several, now using a Mexican brand Cinsa. Starts instantly, electronically, with low water flow, and it is inexpensive.

No ducting, no stack, no issues, utterly reliable.

We have unlimited hot water at the galley, head, and shower. Always on, just turn the tap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cinsa.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	232190  
Old 09-02-2021, 10:51   #15

Just get an electric water heater. I guess I fail to see the problem...? Your harbor master is watching the electric meter turn?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower