Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-07-2019, 09:16   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Help troubleshooting propane leak

Hello,

I seem to have a very slow propane leak and I can’t quite locate it. I have two steel tanks in my lazarette propane locker, on pigtail hoses going to a solenoid, then a continuous hose from my propane locker to my Force 10 stove.

When I open the valve on either of my two tanks, the pressure valve jumps up to 130ish and stays steady even if I close the tank valve.

But when the solenoid is switched on (and the tank valve is closed), the pressure steadily drops until
It reaches zero in about 5 mins. So there is a leak downstream of (or at) the solenoid.

The sniffer alarm is located under the stove and went off about 10 mins after we finishing cooking yesterday (solenoid was still on), but it hasn’t gone off today despite repeatedly troubleshooting the leak. I can’t smell any gas in the propane locker, in the galley, or below decks where the hose runs. The hose appears unmolested and in perfect condition for its entire length. I’ve used soapy water at all the fittings and I can’t see any sign of gas coming out. It used to maintain pressure in the line for days and the sniffer is very sensitive and a random false alarm after cooking is not unheard of.

The solenoid itself gets pretty hot when open. Not too hot to hold but almost. I’m not sure if this is in the normal range or if it’s failing, or if this could cause a leak.

At this point I feel like it’s likely to be either the solenoid itself or some internal components of the stove that I can’t see easily.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to find this leak before I end up replacing components?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane