Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 10:32   #16
cruiser

Re: Flushing a Spectra water maker?

Send it back to the factory for a rebuild.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 16:31   #17

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Contact Tellie. Good man - did me some fine work on my unit.

BTW - This is all good info as I am finishing the install on my DIY Cape Horn Extreme (converted 220v Ventura - another thread).

Cheers - Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 00:16   #18

Boat: Parlay 40 Catamaran

I heard about gluing up the watermaker block from a local sailor who spent 10 years circumnavigating. He is very knowledgeable, so has credibility in my opinion. However I would like to hear from others if they have tried something like this
Old 08-05-2017, 00:41   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbar View Post
I heard about gluing up the watermaker block from a local sailor who spent 10 years circumnavigating. He is very knowledgeable, so has credibility in my opinion. However I would like to hear from others if they have tried something like this
Both of mine were sent back for a factory rebuild, one suffered the same problem as yours. Now for short money, both have a lifetime factory warranty.

Super glue was first developed for closing small cuts in skin... not for sealing up high pressure water leaks. Put down the super glue and solve your problem the correct way, or keep messing with it indefinitely.

It's your choice.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:01   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbar View Post
Maybe as a temporary fix, but Im skeptical of that holding long term...and youve got a new block on the way right?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:26   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Replacing the center block is not hard, but its a LOT easier with the unit on a workbench. I suggest uninstalling it for this job.

Re sending it back for a rebuild. Not necessary unless the unit has other issued. How many hours? Also Im pretty sure Spectra discontinued the exchange-rebuild program, but Tellie can confirm. Damn shame, it was a great deal (probably not such a good deal for Spectra though). Fortunately I got mine in before the cut off.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:04   #22

Ok I'm new to watermakers. Bought a boat and it has a 380c unit, still working. I have 2 questions hoping I can get help.

1. I have flushed with freshwater, but im not clear should the pressure valve be open or closed when flushing? Does the high pressure side of the membrane get flushed if the valve is left open?

2. On this thread it is said to freshwater flush every 3-5 day, and flushing is to get out the many bugs growing in seawater. But if I flush with freshwater (rainwater), there are no bugs if well flushed so why a 5 day repeat?

Thanks for any explanations.
robboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:08   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by robboa View Post
Ok I'm new to watermakers. Bought a boat and it has a 380c unit, still working. I have 2 questions hoping I can get help.

1. I have flushed with freshwater, but im not clear should the pressure valve be open or closed when flushing? Does the high pressure side of the membrane get flushed if the valve is left open? This depends. If you are starting this 380C up for the first time then I would assume the system was pickled and you would leave the pressure relief valve open about 3/4 to a full turn. Then start both feed pumps so the system primes, once primed let the system run like this for 20-40 minutes to flush out the old pickling agent. It is important that you leave the valve open like this if the system is pickled so you don't drive the pickling solution into the membrane itself. Once the system has been flushed then close off the pressure relief valve and if the system is making water, around 13-14gph, pressures around 80-90psi, and TDS below 500PPM's you're in business. At that point you will always leave the pressure relief valve closed during normal operations and during the fresh water flush.
2. On this thread it is said to freshwater flush every 3-5 day, and flushing is to get out the many bugs growing in seawater. But if I flush with freshwater (rainwater), there are no bugs if well flushed so why a 5 day repeat? Good question. Two reasons, first you can never really flush a watermaker completely, there is always some residual marine life left in the system that will die and bio foul. Though this bio growth process is retarded by fresh water flushing there will still be the need to repeat the flush in five days if the system has not been run in that time. Even though you are only using rain water even rain has contaminants in it that will foul the water in your fresh water tanks. Also, without the normal amount of residual chlorine that is used in residential water, such as dock water, being introduced into your fresh water tank there is nothing to keep biological growth from blooming in your tank. So even with fresh water flushing you are not eliminating bio-growth. Most people only think their fresh water tanks are pristine when in fact the vast majority are anything but.

Thanks for any explanations.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions about your Spectra 380C just ask.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 19:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestrezat View Post
I just had dinner with a fellow cruiser and he tells me he only back flushes his water maker(not a Spectra) if he is not going to use it for more than a week or so. Unless I'm mistaken, I think my manual for Spectra says to flush it after every use. Am I overdoing it by flushing it after every use? Mine makes only 8 gallons and hour so flushing it takes just about an hours worth of production.

I have a spectra ventura 150, 6 years now, live aboard, I run it, at least, every 4 days & always flush it after every use to a Discharge of 600/700ppm which uses approx 30 litres. I always run it for an extra hour & a half into a 30 litre container & flush it with that as my tanks are only 200 litres. Happy sailing
Rafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 20:06   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Remember Dirty Harry's Famous Line:
"Do you Feel Lucky?"
That's the question you should be asking yourself if you don't fresh water flush your water maker after EACH Run. Sure, we tell clients you can get away without fresh water flushing after a run if you plan to make water again within 24hrs. But you now how Boating and Cruising works. Good intentions to do something tomorrow turns into 4-5 days later and boom...you have taken membrane life away.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 06:55   #26
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Remember Dirty Harry's Famous Line:
"Do you Feel Lucky?"
That's the question you should be asking yourself if you don't fresh water flush your water maker after EACH Run. Sure, we tell clients you can get away without fresh water flushing after a run if you plan to make water again within 24hrs. But you now how Boating and Cruising works. Good intentions to do something tomorrow turns into 4-5 days later and boom...you have taken membrane life away.
I just don't understand this desire to Not flush watermakers as per the manufacturers requirements. Anyone still have salt water flush heads on board? Let those sit for a week and see what happens. The same thing is happening inside your watermaker. All salt water has sea life in it. When you shut down your system these creatures quickly die off within a 24-48 hour period mostly due to oxygen deprivation. This is happening throughout your system, not just in the membrane. The anaerobic growth that breaks down these sea creature bodies gives off hydrogen sulfide gas. If you don't flush you don't get the majority of this sea life out of your watermaker. Hydrogen sulfide gas is one of the few things that can actually get by a salt water membrane. This foul smell can certainly permeate your fresh water tanks which is far more likely to happen if you don't flush as per manufactures suggestion. Like Rich I've changed thousands of membranes. I assure you he is right "Do you feel Lucky?" If you do my number is below and we'll send you as many membranes as you'd like. So flush the thing after each use and at least every week if not being used. I assure you, these stories of never flushing watermakers may be true in rare occasions, I've seen things that make me scratch my head, but if you play this game you will be replacing your membrane/s far sooner than later.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flushing, water