Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 12:44   #16

Boat: Chrysler 26, swing keel
Re: Fitting Flexible Water Tanks

PS:
Will the ivory soap work with salt water? (I like that it floats!)
I remember using (I think it was J&J baby shampoo?), for bathing with salt water when we went camping in Baja (Miles from any town or services.)!

And yes, separate foot pump for salt water in the galley. Wash in salt and rice with fresh.

Thanks again!
Richard
Jarel Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 12:46   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Well, before you drop any cash into this project, borrow some 5 gallon containers, fill with water and stick them in the bows. Then see if the bows drop when you are both stood in the cockpit. The containers don't have to be anything special indeed the diving club get them from the local swimming pool when they have used the chemicals.

For comparison we have 30 gallons (120 litres) which lasts Viv, Me and the Dog 4 days before we need to fill up. However, we don't really economise because water is readily available.

An extra 100 litres in the bow and a few of those RV / motor home 5 gallon containers or even a box of 2 litre drinking water bottles will stow anywhere and if used just for drinking and tea would extend your range.

Collapsible Water Container 20 ltr camping caravaning scout groups catering | eBay

BTW what a great size of yacht for trailing to different areas. You can cover a long way at 55mph Think of some way of emptying the tanks before you have to tow her to reduce the weight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whale-Pump...0AAOSwEzxYQvlt

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 12:53   #18

Boat: J/42

Maybe already noted, but when 'rectangular' bladder tanks fill, they become cylinder-shaped. The circumference of the cylinder is 2x the width of the rectangle. The length of the cylinder is the length of the rectangle minus the diameter of the cylinder. Imagine that cylinder rolled into the bottom of your wedge-shaped or v-shaped compartment.

The previous owner of my boat bought rigid Ronco wedge-shaped tanks that almost, sorta fit. He chopped holes in the v-berth and q-berth decking to try to make "almost" work. It just didn't. I'm pretty skeptical that they ever would fit, unless they were molded specifically for your exact boat, OR were placed in a greatly over-sized space.

I've been very happy with the bladder tanks that I used to replaced them. Another benefit, although some people have trouble wrapping their heads around this one: The holding tank isn't needed on passages, and takes up zero space when flattened. That compartment can be used for a second water tank, or for provisions during an extended cruise. A heavy nylon jacket between the two bladders prevents even indirect contact.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 13:03   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
I've been very happy with the bladder tanks that I used to replaced them. Another benefit, although some people have trouble wrapping their heads around this one: The holding tank isn't needed on passages, and takes up zero space when flattened. That compartment can be used for a second water tank, or for provisions during an extended cruise. A heavy nylon jacket between the two bladders prevents even indirect contact.
Ok, bit of a thread drift but relevant, how long does a flexible tank last when being used as a holding tank? what make do you use?

Pete
Old 22-03-2017, 13:05   #20

Thanks guys!

As shared previously, we can't test anything now regarding weight etc... It's on a trailer.

And yes, having it on a trailer has opened up a whole hew world for me (I had larger boats in MDR that were capable of sailing just about anywhere, but leaving just to arrive a chosen destination did not provide time. (Before Tresa)... When I moved up to Oregon 250 miles from the coast, I thought my sailing days were over. Found a small San Juan 21 and ended up trailering it up to the San Juan Islands. My girlfriend at the time said "So this is why you like cruising!" ...Cruising? This is camping! Took me a year to discover the existence of the Chrysler 26... I wanted standing headroom, a private head, wrap around galley and LOTS of storage space and a hull shape that would lend itself to heavier water than a lake.

We found our boat together (fresh water only), and it came with ore features than I could list here... Radio gear, autopilot, 7 sails, bimini and much more! For $5,000 including the trailer with NEW tires, bearings, brakes, surge etc...

The flexible tank is less than $100 so that's not a lot and if we try it in some location that we don't like, we can move it easily.

OK... now I really need to get back to work! LOL!
Thanks again,
Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	143733   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	143734  

Name:	47 DSCN0092.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	143735   Click image for larger version

Name:	51 DSCN0358.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	143736  

Name:	DAYENU.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	143737  
Old 22-03-2017, 13:14   #21

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Really nice boat!!! I never had a problem with Ivory soap in salt water. Used it last year in the BVI even though I was on a 48 foot cat. It's just what I do.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 13:16   #22

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Ok, bit of a thread drift but relevant, how long does a flexible tank last when being used as a holding tank? what make do you use?

Pete
I don't know yet. It's been five years now. Like everything, probably, active cruising, as opposed to sitting at the dock, will probably wear it out faster.

I'm not certain of the make... possibly Vetus? It's been a while.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 13:45   #23

Thanks for the info on Ivory soap! We'll bring it!
And thanks for the kind words on our boat...

It's taken me a while to "admit" that I sail a Trailer boat and, that it was built by Chrysler! (I got so many comments from my sailing buddies back in LA! "Richard, What have you done?!?!? LOL!

The boat came with all instrumentation (depth, wind speed, direction) a brand new Mercury 9.9 electric start with electric raise and tilt and cockpit controls and key. Rigid boom vang, asymmetrical spinnaker, spinnaker pole, whisker pole.... We were just amazed one we brought her home... TONS more stuff in the storage areas, New BBQ, New inflatable PFDs... Just couldn't believe what we received for the price!

Just bought a 25# Mantus, new chain and we found an old SL anchorman manual windlass for $300! (The small one)

The name on the boat: "Dayenu" is from an old Hebrew song, meaning (to God), "This would have been enough!" We're not Jewish but if just seemed right! LOL! Port of call is an old Twilight Zone episode... "TZ" stands for Twilight Zone! (So may people have asked if we're from Tasmania or spelt Arizona wrong! LOL!)

I need to shut off the audio alarm that I've received an email! (My clients often email me, so I keep it on... But... I REALLY need to get some work done! LOL!

Thanks again!

Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	143739   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	143740  

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	143741   Click image for larger version

Name:	23 DSCN0295.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	143742  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	143743  
Old 22-03-2017, 13:50   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Looking at the first few photos you don't need a water tank, but a large drinks cabinet

Pete
Old 22-03-2017, 13:57   #25

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarel Design View Post
Thanks for the info on Ivory soap! We'll bring it!
And thanks for the kind words on our boat...

It's taken me a while to "admit" that I sail a Trailer boat and, that it was built by Chrysler! (I got so many comments from my sailing buddies back in LA! "Richard, What have you done?!?!? LOL!

The boat came with all instrumentation (depth, wind speed, direction) a brand new Mercury 9.9 electric start with electric raise and tilt and cockpit controls and key. Rigid boom vang, asymmetrical spinnaker, spinnaker pole, whisker pole.... We were just amazed one we brought her home... TONS more stuff in the storage areas, New BBQ, New inflatable PFDs... Just couldn't believe what we received for the price!

Just bought a 25# Mantus, new chain and we found an old SL anchorman manual windlass for $300! (The small one)

The name on the boat: "Dayenu" is from an old Hebrew song, meaning (to God), "This would have been enough!" We're not Jewish but if just seemed right! LOL! Port of call is an old Twilight Zone episode... "TZ" stands for Twilight Zone! (So may people have asked if we're from Tasmania or spelt Arizona wrong! LOL!)

I need to shut off the audio alarm that I've received an email! (My clients often email me, so I keep it on... But... I REALLY need to get some work done! LOL!

Thanks again!

Richard
I knew the name. I am Jewish and Dayenu is one of our songs during Passover which is coming up. I had a Chrysler mutineer which is a 15-foot version of your boat. It was also a trailer Sailer and I loved her. Crossed many a bay and water with her. Lost her to Hurricane Sandy which is how I came to own my hunter 37.5.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 13:59   #26

Laughing my head off!

May not look like it, but we're not heavy drinkers! LOL! Just like "special" drinks!

I made the blender by gutting an old 110v $5 blender from Goodwill and installed a 12 model airplane gas engine starter... Tons of torque and speed. Only two positions on the switch: off and "Snow"! Turns cubes into a blended margarita in seconds! LOL! Low drainage on electrical?

OK... If we had to choose what electrical consumer aboard to get rid of, the blender would be very low on the list! LOL!
Old 22-03-2017, 14:12   #27

PS:
How much does my wife "like" sailing?

The photo of us toasting was in our driveway and it was our anniversary dinner! I was prepared to take her out somewhere "special".

Her reply was: "WHAT?!" How much more special could having our anniversary dinner on board? This was a few weeks after bringing Dayenu home. We brought our laptop for an after dinner movie and slept on her that night! (Her suggestion!)

We met online at match.com I had posted photos of me sailing so she knew before hand that I sailed. On our second date, I was brought to her family's house for Christmas. They asked me what I did and hobbies etc... I mentioned sailing and they replied: "So... sailing is your hobby?"

Oh NO! Sailing is like religion, meditating etc... Sailing is not a "hobby"... It's so much more than that! Sailing is a matter of life and death! I tried to explain points of sail, putting the rail under, the tightness of the sheets, the healing, the feel of the tiller... Then after a pause, Tresa chimed in with: "You forgot to mention the luff in your jib!" I looked at her in astonishment... Thinking to myself: She knew the luffing of the jib...?

You were describing a broad reach weren't you?

I swear to you that I got on my knees and thanked god! Turned out she had crewed on charter boats and actually captained one trip back to home port (several days), when the captain had an accident and was out of commission!

We couldn't get much luckier than that!

Just had to share! lol!
Old 22-03-2017, 14:15   #28

Bensoloman...
Glad you understood the name... We decided on it after we kept pulling new gear from the locker, no knowing what was included... One of us would say... Gee. wouldn't it be nice if they had a .... And miracle of miracles, it was there New, still in the package... This went on for hours! Couldn't think of a better or more fitting name!

Sorry about your boat, but happy for you for your replacement!
Old 22-03-2017, 15:31   #29
Marine Service Provider

Average lifespan of flexible tanks for any use is about 15 years...+/- depending on the quality.

It's legal to use UNvented bladders for fuel and water holding, but not for waste holding. USCG regs require that ALL sewage and gray water tanks including bladders be vented to the outside of the boat because the contents can generate methane which is flammable.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 01:57   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Peggy, that is interesting to know and 15 years more than acceptable, even 10 would be good given the price of say a 100L flexi tank.

Pete

Tags
tanks, water