Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2013, 03:53   #1

Boat: Toy boat
Water tanks, water tanks every where...

I was replacing hoses from my forward water tanks to the foot pump yesterday when I found a 'new' line leading from below the sole to up and behind the cooler. I hadn't seen this line before so I put on my private eye hat and followed it. 30 minutes and one removed cooler box later, I find another 25 gallon tank built in below the propane deck locker.
This is an owner finished boat from 1971, I have no factory plans nor a blue print of any kind but this is the third water or fuel tank I have found.

I now have two forward tanks at 25 gallons each, one gravity fed galley tank at 35 gallons above the sink and now this one (which gravity flows to the mains) at 25 gallons.

The main fuel tank (diesel) is in the floor and holds 39 gallons. While renewing its fitting seals, I found a line leading aft up towards the cockpit. That line is plumbed into a hidden 25 gallon fuel tank, sandwiched between plywood and totally hidden. Its filler pipe is accessible only after lifting out the starboard lazerette flooring. Further inspection revealed this tank was full and the fuel was still good! But wait! Is this a breather line leading to it? NO! Its another line from yet another fuel tank! This one holds 12 gallons (reserve?) and is found mounted on the underside of the stern deck. You have to crawl down in the stern hatch/engine room access and look up to see it!

I love surprises!
I bought this boat in July, the po used it as an apartment and never sailed it. Original owner/builder is long gone and there is very little info out there. It is a C Mist hull and while it does share much with the Westsail 32, these nifty little touches are one of a kind.
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 06:41   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Water tanks, water tanks every where...

Thanks for sharing Not laughing to you but I'm building something similar. Got to make some documents during the build...
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 06:48   #3

Boat: Toy boat
Re: Water tanks, water tanks every where...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Thanks for sharing Not laughing to you but I'm building something similar. Got to make some documents during the build...
I wish the builder did or if he did, some one hung on to them! There are lots of small things about this S/V that are hidden, cupboard doors that double as fold out trays...secret compartments full of spares, I have 12 rebuild kits for the head! Now, about that small one speed winch some 22 feet up the mast-who knows!
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 12:33   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Either there has been a terrible mix up and you are working on our boat by mistake or you are inhabiting a parallel universe to ours. Read my thread about source of horrible smell found to see what can happen if you completely miss one or TWO fresh water tanks! You have my complete sympathy.

Matt

Tags
tanks, water