Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2017, 13:58   #1

Boat: Chrysler 26, swing keel
Fitting Flexible Water Tanks

Just a quick question:

I want to add more water capacity to a 26' Chrysler in the bow. We have a rigid tank at stern (13 gallons) and would like to carry 25 - 30 gallons without deck Jerry cans. (A week or two for my wife and I depending on use. (Although we'd carry Jerry cans when needed.)

I found a rectangular 13 gal flexible that would fit fine in the bow, but also found a 26 gallon (rectangular), that I'm guessing would hold more than the 13 gal, even if it's expansion would be confined by interior hull shape.

The real question is: Is there anything I'm missing, thinking I can fill the larger 26 gal (rectangular shaped) tank to a limited capacity that would be confined to the triangular shape of the bow by not filling the 26 gal tank to mfg. noted 26 gal? Cost is less than $20 more and even if I can only get an extra 5 gallons or so more than the 13 gallon, I feel it would be worth it.

I would be building a platform to expand the flat area where the flexible tank would sit, lining it with closed cell foam (cushioning) and then lining it with replaceable carpet along with fittings to lash it down. The hull shape is very deep/sharp. I'd make sure there is more than enough space between the platform and our V-berth boards to allow for the expanded flexible tank AND the fitting with spare space to prevent inlet hose from moving/chafing the inlet fitting.

I'm hoping that the wider part of the rectangular tank shape would fill the space allowed and that up at the bow, the hull would keep the flexible tank from reaching it's capacity, creating a somewhat triangular shaped flexible tank.

Any thoughts/experience?

Note: although I can, I will not be building a fixed tank and after exhaustive researching of existing plastic tanks. (Most are rectangular and would be more limited than the 13 gal flexible tank I know will fit.) I've also looked into more expensive flexible tanks (not an option!)

Thanks!
Richard
Jarel Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 14:33   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Fitting Flexible Water Tanks

Creases and seams are the problem particularly if they can move slightly. I fitted a 100l (26 US Gal) tank into a power cruiser because it was cheaper than having a new ali tank made. However, the boat was going to be sold so I wasn't worried about the life of the tank. Like you I lined the space but with thin rubber sheet. If you are using a Plastimo tank note that some of them require the fill and empty connections on the underside of the tank. You will need a jubilee clip and this has to be stopped from wearing the tank material.

Also note that once full you can't not move the tank it weights far too much.

Finally since its very difficult to clean out, think about a maintenance regime with bleach for when you are away.

I would fit the 13 gallon tank if its a good fit over the 26 tank. In North America you are never going to be far from clean water.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 14:49   #3

Thanks Pete!
So, you're saying that where the flexible tank is folded over (creases etc), that if the tank moves, there might/will be chaffing inside of the bladder? (That would make sense and I hadn't thought about that if that's what you mean.)
Regarding water availability, our "hopes" (especially in the Bahamas"), is to be able to stay anchored in remote places without having travel to some port for water. (food, we can carry lots (We teach food preservation/storage in our self sustainability classes), and our fuel needs are minimal (9.9hp merc).

Our minimum needs would be for a week stay between ports, up to maybe 2 weeks. 5gal jerry cans could easily fill the need, but I'd like to keep the decks clear.

adding 13 gal to our fixed 12 gal tank (25 gal total), comes "close"... (at 2 gal/day per person, that comes to 6+ days... At 1.5 gal/day, it comes to 8+ days) so for now, I'll follow your lead unless others can add more info (I plan to remove flex tankage for regular cleaning (when empty! LOL!)

BTW, we are both long time "adventure travelers" (backpacking, long distance bicycling (in the jungles of the Yucatan for 7 months), Tresa built and paddles a canoe from Montana to the east coast... 3,500miles/4 months... We're pretty good at water conservation... Hand/foot pumps only on board... salt water showers with fresh water rinse...same for galley! =D Just looking for added comfort by carrying more water.

We're planning to cruise the San Juan Islands this summer for a month+ and I wanted to add some more internal water tankage before we go, so I thought I'd add a bow tank to our "to do list". No big deal as water is available even in some of the undeveloped parks.The smaller tank would probably be fine.

Thanks!
Richard & Tresa

Thanks again!
Old 18-03-2017, 15:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Check out Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular (which means you might be able to fit a larger one in the same space), and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank, which makes plumbing it a lot easier than having to deal with pre-located fittings.

When you check the drawings, you aren't limited to the orientation shown 'cuz there is no top or bottom till the fittings go in, and you decide where they go. So quite often one that won't fit your space one way will if you rotate it and/or flip it end-for-end.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 15:37   #5

Hi Peg,
I went to them first!

Great prices... Most of their triangular tanks look like they were meant for power boats, or boats with shallower angled bows...

I'll go back and check again (was a long time ago)... I might have missed something.

The 13 gal plastimo tank is less than $100 with less work involved for installation.

Thanks!

Richard
Old 18-03-2017, 15:44   #6

Just checked again...

Closest fitting was # B-125 (16 gallons), for $199...

Found some other tanks designed for quarter berths.. I'll check to see if I could fit two of them (vertical walls facing each other), to match our bow... (hadn't thought of that option before!)

Thanks again!

Richard
Old 19-03-2017, 11:54   #7

Boat: Beneteau 49

You will be adding nearly 100 pounds in the bow, which is a lot for 26 feet. Bow will be more immersed and performance in a seaway will be worse and wetter. Closer to the center of the boat would be better.
Utahsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 12:36   #8

100#'s in the bow... GREAT POINT!

I'll have to check our quarter berth storage areas for flexible tank locations...

THANK YOU!

Easy to forget details like this when I'm staring down into a deep/wide storage area under where we'll be sleeping and not wanting to go into it to get daily items... "seemed" (past tense...LOL!) like the "perfect location! LOL!

This changes everything! (for the better)

Thank you!

Richard
Old 19-03-2017, 12:49   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Utahsailor took the thought I was having reading this post. Added weight forward.
A lot of added weight way forward.
Try it. See how it impacts your waterline at the slip... then check performance w the new load.

Check to see where the water would go if the new tank sprung a leak.

Brilliant idea though ,,, hope it works.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 13:48   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One hundred pounds in the bow, is like a smallish woman standing there, up to you to decide if it would make a lot of difference; low down, amidships, might be better.

Ann
Old 19-03-2017, 15:11   #11

Boat: Currently in between

I going to give a 2nd or a 3rd or whatever it is to worrying about creases giving way (eventually) and the dreaded weight in the wrong place issue. Water is heavy and sure, the tank won't be 100% full after the first day or two but still rate this one as Not Good..
Old 19-03-2017, 18:40   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Maybe there's room for 3 5 gal. water jugs at the wide end of the V-berth. Easy to remove for filling, but a little heavy for replacing. Not too expensive. And there's 15 gals, no chafe worries, or seam splitting worries (the two major problems we had with flexible water tanks). 120 lbs, about, plus the weight of the jugs, maybe 5 or 6 ft aft of the bow?

Good luck with it. FWIW, since you are good water conservers, OP, Jim and I did all our first 18 yrs. cruising with 50 us gal., and although we carried 5 gal extra for emergencies, always arrived with water in one of the two 25 gal. tanks, never used the emergency water. Did use salt water for pre-wash on dishes. Didn't count the 5 gal solar shower, which had to do both of us for the length of the journey, but, really, you can do a lot of good with duck baths, using 1 c. water. Salt water showers, fresh rinse for the hair. You can do this. Save the salty towels for shore and laundry facilities.

Ann
Old 22-03-2017, 12:19   #13

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarel Design View Post
Just a quick question:

I want to add more water capacity to a 26' Chrysler in the bow. We have a rigid tank at stern (13 gallons) and would like to carry 25 - 30 gallons without deck Jerry cans. (A week or two for my wife and I depending on use. (Although we'd carry Jerry cans when needed.)

I found a rectangular 13 gal flexible that would fit fine in the bow, but also found a 26 gallon (rectangular), that I'm guessing would hold more than the 13 gal, even if it's expansion would be confined by interior hull shape.

The real question is: Is there anything I'm missing, thinking I can fill the larger 26 gal (rectangular shaped) tank to a limited capacity that would be confined to the triangular shape of the bow by not filling the 26 gal tank to mfg. noted 26 gal? Cost is less than $20 more and even if I can only get an extra 5 gallons or so more than the 13 gallon, I feel it would be worth it.

I would be building a platform to expand the flat area where the flexible tank would sit, lining it with closed cell foam (cushioning) and then lining it with replaceable carpet along with fittings to lash it down. The hull shape is very deep/sharp. I'd make sure there is more than enough space between the platform and our V-berth boards to allow for the expanded flexible tank AND the fitting with spare space to prevent inlet hose from moving/chafing the inlet fitting.

I'm hoping that the wider part of the rectangular tank shape would fill the space allowed and that up at the bow, the hull would keep the flexible tank from reaching it's capacity, creating a somewhat triangular shaped flexible tank.

Any thoughts/experience?

Note: although I can, I will not be building a fixed tank and after exhaustive researching of existing plastic tanks. (Most are rectangular and would be more limited than the 13 gal flexible tank I know will fit.) I've also looked into more expensive flexible tanks (not an option!)

Thanks!
Richard
Richard,

I think you will be adding too much weight forward with your plan. I think it will adversely affect how she handles under sail. Because the water will be a movable ballast, it will reduce your righting moment, and it may increase your healing angle.

I presume you have a raw water head, and a foot pump for seawater at the galley. The solar shower is also a great item. I, personally, use Ivory soap (it floats) and hop in the water to bathe. Final rinse is with a fresh water rinse from the shower. I shave my head, so no shampoo or conditioner for me[emoji2] .

I dedicate all fresh water to the admiral. She gets to shower daily.

Best regards,
Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 12:23   #14

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

On another note, have you considered a watermaker? Rainman portable or a smallish Katadyn?
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 12:39   #15

Thanks for the input Ann!

Where I had planned to place it in the V-berth, was low and fairly far back from the bow.

What I'm looking at now is to place it under the Starboard settee just behind the main bulkhead (mast step). This will place it more centered (fore and aft), and on the opposite side of our new batteries which will help balance any listing issues that might happen. What's nice about the flexible tank, is that I can move it around easily depending on handling.

Our boat rests in a trailer and we're not near any water to test. Nearest lake is 2 hrs away and right now, access is closed due to snow! No room or power for a water maker... Why the extra fresh water? We plan to be able to stay at anchor without having to visit ports to refill water or fuel for extended stays... If it were in a slip, I could figure this out closer just by using weights or 5 gallon water jugs. (I miss living in Marina del Rey and having a larger boat... but trailering has added a whole new dimension as to where we can go cruising! =D

As for a head, that's been removed and we're installing an Airhead composting toilet. No electric pumps for fresh water! Yest to solar showers! And yes to adding smaller 1gal-3 gal water bottles wherever they fit.

Thanks again!
OK.. back to work! I need to pay for all our upgrades! LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 DSCN0155.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	143732  

Tags
tanks, water