Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 03:36   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The one other mistake I made with the Waeco 18CF was not using heavy enough wiring, so do go completely OTT when you fit it and the fridge will love you.

Pete
Cheers for that. OTT it will be

Yeah, the WAECO's they was / are on the list...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:42   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
David:

I've had an Engel for about eight years and up until now have only used it as a refridgerator. This cruise I only used it in freezer mode and it worked very well. I started my current cruise with several frozen one liter bottles of water (also had three frozen quarts of milk too). These where placed in the Engel freezer to start. I used a 48 quart Coleman cooler as the refrigerator. I bought two bags of ice to start in the cooler. After it melted I put two of the frozen bottles from the Engel into the cooler. Two in the morning and swapped them out at night with two frozen bottles from the Engel. This has worked for over two weeks. So I will probably use this method on future cruises.
That is basically what I am thinking - except with freezer blocks rather than water jugs.

Quote:
My Engel uses 2.7 amps in the freezer mode. BTW using my laptop uses the same amount of amps.

My two 75 watt solar panels easily keep up with demand during the day. But, I run my Honda 2000 generator (I have electric propulsion and no diesel engine) just to make sure I don't allow the batteries to be drained too much. About a half hour in the morning and evening. This is my first time trying this and I am pleased with the way it has worked out. Plus I can even have ice for boat drinks.
So how does that compare to previously? (when just running the Engel as a Fridge)

oh, and what part of the world is that in? Carribean? or Alaska?

Ice Cream sounds.........cool
Old 12-09-2010, 04:01   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I've had an Engel for about eight years
Forgot

How you getting on with it noise wise?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:10   #19

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
David we have two engel 40 L units one as a frig and one as a freezer where we live the summer temperature can get up to 45 c so when i built the frig engel in i used 1'' high density foam on 3 sides and i fitted plastic vents into the box that the unit sits in The dealer where i bought my units suggested to me that it is better to leave them running if i could ,so that is what i do we have 2x40watt solar panels and iam not connected to shore panels -my engels havent been turned off in 7 years i have included photos of my installation in my humble view you definiately need vent holes to let hot air to escape I have attached a picture of my installation ,unfortunatly you cant see the rows of vents on the left hand side of the engel cheers andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:00   #20
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Looking at the photo in post #1, is that the fridge space to the right of the sink, and the left of the cooker? 'Cos if it is, I ain't never cruisin with ya, I'd set my 38DDs alight!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 16:53   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Looking at the photo in post #1, is that the fridge space to the right of the sink, and the left of the cooker? 'Cos if it is, I ain't never cruisin with ya, I'd set my 38DDs alight!
38DDs? I can imagine the problem
Old 12-09-2010, 16:53   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinescape View Post
my engels havent been turned off in 7 years
Albeit I suspect you have a slight advantage on me with the sunlight thing

Quote:
i have included photos of my installation in my humble view you definiately need vent holes to let hot air to escape I have attached a picture of my installation ,unfortunatly you cant see the rows of vents on the left hand side of the engel
Good to see one in another box installation

Been a useful thread.

I think my plan will be to buy an Engel and try it both in it's box and freestanding - to see if any great difference. If needs be could probably find a home for it freestanding and might come in useful elsewhere.........

Tags
freezer, refrigerator