Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2010, 04:11   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

Crtitique this Fridge / Freezer Installation

A sister ship so be as hard as you like

A fridge / freezer is a little way off - but I took these snaps earlier this year.

Apparently an Engel was an option back in the early 70's on Seadogs and this is beleived to be original Was already on my think about list, but a 40 year life span has upped it a bit.

Engel USA MT17

Now you see it!

Now you don't!

Just some context for the installation (again, not mine)

The alternative is to custom build an installation in the same place (in either case I will need to be doing some work - my "fridge" is simply the cupboard that the Engel above sits in . except with a smaller access). Additional room below to install a compressor (and whatever ).

Although something for both installations, my initial points of thinking are whether the Engel venting (?) into the galley / saloon is likely to be a problem heat wise. and also the noise. (and also whether on the above installation it should have more venting? would some sort of fan make a difference?)

Seperately, I was thinking maybe also using a plain coolbox - either with ice or even uncooled as a food store..........or (when power rich?!) using the Engel (or a custom freezer) to freeze up some freezer blocks - the idea being to store the energy (cold energy ) for a couple of days, but I don't know whether firing up the Engel to freezer from scratch for 12 hours costs as much energy as simply maintaining it as a Fridge for 3 days?..........things with numbers in it have never been my strong point ........so no idea whether that is a maybe or a ROTFLMAO at the question

The obvious attractions (to me) of the Engel is a more straightforward installation. and being built by folk who know how to make fridges. Whereas me is early in the learning curve...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer, refrigerator