Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2010, 17:24   #256

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT G View Post

I've been sold. I'm already looking forward to pulling out all the old plumbing and throwing in a composting toilet, and I don't even have a boat yet.

Thanks for that. Nice to have a good laugh 1st thing in the morning.

Maybe you should go ahead and get the toilet and then build a boat around it. Like they did with the fuel tank on my boat.
Old 15-09-2010, 18:45   #257

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT G View Post
Knothead, I heard it works better withOUT the pants. At least that's how I've been doing it.

I've been sold. I'm already looking forward to pulling out all the old plumbing and throwing in a composting toilet, and I don't even have a boat yet.

Funny thing about that. I suggested that a more realistic photo might be more compelling.
She didn't seem to be to amenable to the idea. Go figure.
Old 15-09-2010, 19:40   #258

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
For a million years or so, humans squatted to poop. They still do in much of the world. It is a more healthful way of emptying the bowel. My NH is too tall for comfort, so I added a couple of risers for my feet, three inches tall, to get the toilet back to a regular toilet height. Consider that when you install a composter. the consensus of opinion here [well, except for Zeehag's friend, who can't keep his composter fitted with enough coir moss] is that these things are the best thing since night baseball.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 14:01   #259
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I was thinking about putting in a cheesy little active charcoal filter. I've rigged one of these before for a land based project. Really cut down on the smell. I might try to fashion one.
Having never smoked, I detect odours a long way off.
They made a charcoal filled quilt for couples who have gas problems . No fart smell escapes. Its a marriage saver for some.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 14:40   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Having never smoked, I detect odours a long way off.
They made a charcoal filled quilt for couples who have gas problems . No fart smell escapes. Its a marriage saver for some.
I'm always amazed at how even on a wind swept deck the smell of a holding tank venting as goop is pumped in can still nail everyone in the cockpit in the face. I'll see about a charcoal filter. They really can restrict airflow, but I don't think the nature's head really needs the full force of a 3" electric fan venting 24/7. A filter would cut the flow in half more or less, but if it means nary a smell escapes that might be worth it.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 18:19   #261
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
I'm always amazed at how even on a wind swept deck the smell of a holding tank venting as goop is pumped in can still nail everyone in the cockpit in the face. I'll see about a charcoal filter. They really can restrict airflow, but I don't think the nature's head really needs the full force of a 3" electric fan venting 24/7. A filter would cut the flow in half more or less, but if it means nary a smell escapes that might be worth it.
Let us know what you come up with. It is an interesting thought and I agree about the fan.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 12:20   #262

Okay it's here! Now comes the horrible job of removing the old one. I'll keep this thread updated!
Click image for larger version

Name:	naturesheadinabox.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	19516
Old 23-09-2010, 05:05   #263

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
I would be careful reducing the airflow. It is a poorly known fact of holding tanks that poor airflow within the tank promotes the wrong sort of bacteria. The wrong sort have a sulphur + smell as a biproduct of the chemical reaction. However, the correct airflow promotes a bacteria that uses a different chemical reaction which does not have the same smell.

Information originally from Peggy Hall - any errors are undoubtedly mine!
Old 23-09-2010, 08:53   #264

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
I would be careful reducing the airflow. It is a poorly known fact of holding tanks that poor airflow within the tank promotes the wrong sort of bacteria. The wrong sort have a sulphur + smell as a biproduct of the chemical reaction. However, the correct airflow promotes a bacteria that uses a different chemical reaction which does not have the same smell.

Information originally from Peggy Hall - any errors are undoubtedly mine!

I don't believe that it's practical or even possible to encourage the growth of aerobic bacteria in a holding tank filled with liquid. The anaerobic bacteria is what produces the bad smell and unless you can figure out a way to aerate the contents, you are pretty well stuck with anaerobic bacteria. The vent on a holding tank is just that. A vent. It prevents a buildup of pressure.
Old 23-09-2010, 09:16   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I don't believe that it's practical or even possible to encourage the growth of aerobic bacteria in a holding tank filled with liquid. The anaerobic bacteria is what produces the bad smell and unless you can figure out a way to aerate the contents, you are pretty well stuck with anaerobic bacteria. The vent on a holding tank is just that. A vent. It prevents a buildup of pressure.
Peggy goes into the idea of using two vents, much bigger than standard (like an inch or more ID) and putting them in such a fashion that they always have a cross breeze.

In the composting world it's (I think) accomplished in the same way that you keep soil loose: by adding coir/peat moss/perlite. That combined with the stirring motion and a constant air circulation keeps the healthy stuff moving along.

I'm sure there are ways to accomplish the same in a wet system but I just have no motivation to even attempt that type of work anymore.
Old 23-09-2010, 10:28   #266

Boat: Marples 40 Constant Camber
Quote:

How about an aquarium pump to provide aeration? Haven't tried it as we went with a composter some years ago (more accurately called a dessicator, in my opinion) but if I was stuck with a sludge tank, I might experiment with it.
pwratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 16:45   #267

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:

Agree if the tank is full - another reason to keep an eye on the levels!

As for aerating the contents, going for a sail should do that nicely.
Old 23-09-2010, 18:30   #268

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
I HAVE BOTH ON BOARD MY BOAT

I WILL TAKE THE COMPOST HEAD ANY DAY OVER A NASTY HOLDING TANK NOW YOU CAN'T GET RID OF SMELL COMING THRU ANY TYPE OF HOSE THEY ARE NASTY AND STINK AND ARE BAD TO WORK ON WHEN YOU HAVE A PROLBEM THEN ITS REALLY A MESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you think that if one places a few pounds of chemical or peat moss on the turds they will not stink, yet they DO stink even with the inefficient chemical/peat moss.
the only thing gained by having human waste on board any boat is an overabundance of e coli bacteria. that is bad stuff.
human waste, aka feces, is hazmat. pure and simple, and there is no ridding it of the bacteria that live in it. those bacteria are harmful to humans if ingested. bags break. seas rise. stuff happens-then you have stuff EVERYWHERE.

so, essentially, you guys ar cruising with a hazmat bomb on board. thank you , no, i will avoid this trend like the plague. or cholera. or yellow fever. this kind of toilet is great if you remain in port on a dock and have a place to rid your boat of the hazmat on a regular basis. thankyou , NO. i have seen the system and i have passed on it for definite reasons. is unhealthy when there is not a place to stash the stuff between dockings. lol..i will stick to tradition on this one. worked in hospitals as an rn waaay too long to not have deep respect for the power of e coli. and i have sailed long enough to know if something is going to break in an inopportune time, it will definitely do so.

i also noticed the folks who are the most gung ho on this manure toilet are male. not female. "dealing with the issues" doesnt mean having to tolerate "sh**bombs" exploding while on a passage across a sea. no one HAS to DEAL with it-- just choose a more efficient means of ridding boat of e coli and manure.

as far as wet marine heads goes--the foul odor of stagnant salt water goes way with passing 2 gallons of sea water thru it--instant freshness. every time. not so with manure potties--yukkkkk--all thru the boat--and cooking in that environment is not fun. btdt. have a good time with yours--i will stick to simple and easy wet toilets on boats. less odiferous.
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 09:58   #269

Well here I go. Last night I got the last elements of the wet plumbing system out. Lots of hose, two MK5 pumps, one Lavac toilet, two Y valves, and one holding tank. People might say that the composting heads are "big and expensive" but when you compare them to all the component parts of a standard wet system, they are "cheap and small".

I'll keep updating this thread and my blog as it moves along.

Old 19-10-2010, 10:16   #270

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'
Quote:
Well here I go. Last night I got the last elements of the wet plumbing system out. Lots of hose, two MK5 pumps, one Lavac toilet, two Y valves, and one holding tank. People might say that the composting heads are "big and expensive" but when you compare them to all the component parts of a standard wet system, they are "cheap and small".

I'll keep updating this thread and my blog as it moves along.

EEEEEWWWWWWW!. I do NOT envy you that removal. I had to do that once on a damanged houseboat setup and spent a disproportionate time at the rail selling Buicks to Earl.

Would love to see some installation shots on the new head. How are you anchoring it?
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote