Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2018, 07:00   #16

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Re: "Composting" toilet questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
...With NH, you open the bomb bay doors when needing to take a dump. The whole opens directly to the compost pile. It is large enough, and positioned anatomically correctly, such that almost all the time no fecal matter comes in contact with the bowl...

Hope this helps, and is answering your questions. I don’t mind, so keep asking.
Thank you Mike - truly appreciate your responses and yes, you've answered my questions completely at this point!
Old 23-02-2018, 07:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim van Cleve View Post
You're post begs the question, why is a boat cruising using a holding tank?
Good day Jim

I guess it depends on your cruising grounds, but we currently sail the East coast of the USA and spend a good amount of time in inland waterways, bays, etc. which are at best restricted and in many cases categorized as "No Discharge Zones"

Likewise, we'll spend a good deal of time at anchor or on a mooring - thus the need to hold waste until it can be properly disposed of... sometimes that's on our offshore runs, sometimes it's a pump-out during a fuel/water stop and sometimes it's a pump-out boat in a harbour.

I hope that answers your question.
Old 23-02-2018, 07:54   #18

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Thanks, this has been the most informative thread I've read yet on these things!

The details, while sometimes delicate, really help me understand how they work, along with the pros and cons. And all the endorsements from long-time users really mean something.

That said, Carlos & Maria, it's hard to get too far from a pump-out on the US east coast. And in a pinch, there's always the ability to discharge outside the 3-mile limit. The US is perhaps unusual in that it's pretty much illegal to discharge untreated sewage almost anywhere inside that, and many places even treated.

Personally, I'm going to stick with what I've got, but I'd certainly be open to a composting head if circumstances changed.

Thanks again for the education!!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 08:14   #19

Thank you for the great input Copacabana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
In a marina, I think it wouldn't be appropriate, so you'll find yourself carrying it to the loo to dump it. This may get tiresome ... In a no-discharge zone, I think the urine would be a problem, as you'd have to start storing it until you got to a place to dispose of it on shore....
Yes, not a problem - while at a marina, we typically use the marina facilities anyway to avoid having to call for a pump-out or head out to the pump-out dock, so accustomed to taking the trip anyway.

Quote:
Also, on a larger boat like yours, you could carry a plastic bucket with a lid and dump your solids bin in garbage bag and store it in the bucket, thus buying you another month or so without having to worry about disposing of your waste...
Yes, again great idea and not a problem for us to implement since we already do something similar with our day-to-day trash. i.e. we put our small wastebasket bags into a larger heavy duty bag whenever we are out for extended periods.

Quote:
...And what to do with the toilet paper? If you add it to the composting bin, it fills up faster and becomes harder to crank to mix the contents. I keep a small plastic garbage can in the head, lined with airtight plastic bags (you can buy them in a roll like the kind used in supermarkets for fruit). All paper goes into the garbage can and the lid stays on. There is no smell. Another thing to consider in your decision.
Yes, already our normal process with our current toilet...

Quote:
I would recommend trying to visit a boat with a composting head before making your decision. Get a feel for how it works, the mechanics of it (including removing the urine jug, dumping the solids bin etc.).
Funny you should mention that; I spotted a young man carrying the urine jug to the bathroom the other day and started the conversation... next time I see him, I'll invite myself on board!

Quote:
Also, measure the space in your head on your boat. The Nature's head and Air Head are tall. They all need a flat area to sit on. Most boats have a small raised area where the wet head sits. Will it be difficult to find a flat surface for installing your composter? If installed on the platform (my case), the head is pretty tall.
One of the obstacles to overcome; we currently have a 6" tall platform which will bring the seat up near the 24"-25" mark - a challange for me, never mind my more vertically challenged wife! A see a small step stool in my future!

Again, thank you for your time and valuable input!

regards,
Old 23-02-2018, 08:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
Because of the height, I installed ours fore/aft to have a platform.
Unfortunately, we don't have the room to go that route, but great idea!
Old 23-02-2018, 08:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We have owned all 3, Air Head, Nature’s Head and C-Head...My wife prefers the NH. Whichever one chooses they’re all great products.
Thank you smj!

BTW, have not figured out why, but the video did not work on my system (iMac, Safari) will look into it later and let you know if I get it to work.

thanks again,
Old 23-02-2018, 08:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
We installed a Nature's Head in December. We then spent twenty six days cruising around the Florida Keys. Never needed to empty the solids container. In fact, I just emptied it yesterday for the first time. As advertised, the solids container smelled like and looked like top soil.

I wouldn't call it my most favorite chore but it wasn't difficult.

During that trip, using the original holding tank, we would have needed a least three pump-outs. It was nice not to have to worry how full the holding tank was. Not to mentioned how much water would have been needed for flushing.
Thank you Davy J; appreciate the info!

Our last time down that way we too spent a bit over two months in the Florida Keys and while not a huge issue (pump-outs are readily available) but as you said, it would be nice not to worry about it!

regards,
Old 23-02-2018, 09:15   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
If you are ... in anchorages, harbours and marinas with good flow, and are not legally restricted, then a holding tank (or other treatment systems) are not needed....
In the US you are legally restricted. You know this.

If you are in a harbor somewhere else and you believe the reasons in the US are sound, then you are still morally restricted. I'm not saying you need to go out exactly 3 miles and I know pump outs are not always available, but I don't need a law to keep me from littering. I'm not going to poop in the harbor, if only out of courtesy to divers.

In the UK, where there are no specific regs, the RYA says this:

RYA Regulations and Best Practice
Regulations for the prevention of pollution by sewage are contained in Annex IV of MARPOL. These regulations apply to ships of 400 gross tonnage and above engaged in international voyages or ships which are certified to carry more than 15 persons.

Although no specific provisions are made for smaller pleasure vessels, it is important to consider the impact of discharging raw sewage from a sea toilet or holding tank into the sea. It is best practice to return all waste generated on board to shore waste reception facilities where possible.

If a holding tank is fitted it should be used and only emptied at either a pump out station or when more than 3 miles offshore. This is because in the open sea waste will be quickly diluted and dispersed by wave action and currents. On vessels without a holding tank avoid the use of toilets in poor tidal flushing areas (e.g. estuaries, inland waterways, inlets and crowded anchorages) and use marina or shore facilities where possible.
Old 23-02-2018, 09:19   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRbar View Post
We have a Natures Head in aft head and electric fresh water toilet with holding tank in forward head. Huge holding tank, maybe 50 gallons.
Color me jealous!

Quote:
My wife prefers the NH overall...
I realize that 2 data points are not very meaningful, but they at least help bolster my position on going that route for that reason... we'll see!

Quote:
I take care of the liquid every 2 to 3 days. We have two pee buckets so I exchange full for empty and have a couple of days to dispose of liquid.
Cool! I am considering that - currently trying to quantify the tradeoff between more time to dispose of vs storage space for 2nd bottle.

Quote:
No odor from the NH and the toilet does not vent outside cause someone hasn’t got around to putting in the outside vent. Been using it almost 4 years with 1.5 years full time.
Good to know - I think I have a means of running a ventilation hose aft to a vent on the stern, but not quite sure until I dig deeper! Really don't want to start cutting holes through my deck for a vent and the hose rising through the head is not exactly what one would call aesthetically pleasing!

Thanks again,
Old 23-02-2018, 09:47   #25

Hi smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
Thank you smj!

BTW, have not figured out why, but the video did not work on my system (iMac, Safari) will look into it later and let you know if I get it to work.

thanks again,
Almost works in Chrome (iMac) - I get sound, but a black Ad overlay covers the entire video frame.

Thanks anyway for the clip... if you have a direct link/URL and it's not too much trouble, please let me know.

regards,
Old 23-02-2018, 09:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Thanks, this has been the most informative thread I've read yet on these things!

The details, while sometimes delicate, really help me understand how they work, along with the pros and cons. And all the endorsements from long-time users really mean something.

That said, Carlos & Maria, it's hard to get too far from a pump-out on the US east coast. And in a pinch, there's always the ability to discharge outside the 3-mile limit. The US is perhaps unusual in that it's pretty much illegal to discharge untreated sewage almost anywhere inside that, and many places even treated.

Personally, I'm going to stick with what I've got, but I'd certainly be open to a composting head if circumstances changed.

Thanks again for the education!!
Glad it has turned out to be an informative thread, it certainly has helped me!
Old 23-02-2018, 10:19   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
In the US you are legally restricted. You know this.

If you are in a harbor somewhere else and you believe the reasons in the US are sound, then you are still morally restricted. I'm not saying you need to go out exactly 3 miles and I know pump outs are not always available, but I don't need a law to keep me from littering. I'm not going to poop in the harbor, if only out of courtesy to divers….
Add Canada to that list. We basically have the same laws and regs.

I respect the laws of our lands, but I’m not anal about it. Dumping over the side, even within the 3-mile limit, can be perfectly fine and environmentally benign. I think (hope?) most cruisers are environmentally aware enough to judge when overboard dumping is appropriate, and when it is not.

This is why I say in areas of good flow and/or volume, especially when away from other waste loads such as large urban outflows or large numbers of other boats, then overboard dumping is likely fine.

But the fact is, many of us spend a lot of time on the hook or tied to a dock where it would be inappropriate to dump overboard. This is why everyone should have some sort of holding and/or treating capacity, regardless of what the law requires. Either that, or never go to these kinds of places.
Old 23-02-2018, 10:32   #28

Boat: Rafiki 37

Great to see Copacabana in here. She/he has lots of experience with these heads.

The TP thing is always interesting. I deposit mine into the bin after use. My wife diverts her urine wipes into a sealable bag. I think she’s about 50:50 with the feces wipes. So our head processes TP. When it comes to dumping day the only visible TP that remains is perhaps the last couple of uses. TP is like any other organic fibre, so it gets ‘processed’ in the composter. But it does add to the capacity, so full diversion would extend the time between dumping (but like I say, we get four to six weeks).

Now, to be fair, I use a minimal amount of TP. It’s my backwoods training I suppose, but I hate waste of any kind (especially waste dealing with waste ). To be crystal clear, I can usually get the job done with three or four double-ply sheets.

We use coir exclusively. I’ve never used peat, or anything else (except TP). My practice is to charge the bin with enough coir to bring it up to about the level of the churner. Then, about 1/2 way through the cycle, we’ll start adding a small handful of coir perhaps every other use. This is where judgement and experience come in — you’re trying to maintain the proper balance between dry and moist. It’s not hard, but is a skill that gets better with experience.

We usually dump when it gets too hard to churn.
Old 23-02-2018, 10:36   #29
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
Hi smj

Almost works in Chrome (iMac) - I get sound, but a black Ad overlay covers the entire video frame.

Thanks anyway for the clip... if you have a direct link/URL and it's not too much trouble, please let me know.

regards,

I always seem to have a problem loading videos on here. It was a 17 second video showing the emptying of the C-Head from start to finish. I like the video as it shows how quick and painless the operation is.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 14:27   #30

Quote:
Great to see Copacabana in here. She/he has lots of experience with these heads.

The TP thing is always interesting. I deposit mine into the bin after use. My wife diverts her urine wipes into a sealable bag. I think she’s about 50:50 with the feces wipes. So our head processes TP. When it comes to dumping day the only visible TP that remains is perhaps the last couple of uses. TP is like any other organic fibre, so it gets ‘processed’ in the composter. But it does add to the capacity, so full diversion would extend the time between dumping (but like I say, we get four to six weeks).

Now, to be fair, I use a minimal amount of TP. It’s my backwoods training I suppose, but I hate waste of any kind (especially waste dealing with waste ). To be crystal clear, I can usually get the job done with three or four double-ply sheets.

We use coir exclusively. I’ve never used peat, or anything else (except TP). My practice is to charge the bin with enough coir to bring it up to about the level of the churner. Then, about 1/2 way through the cycle, we’ll start adding a small handful of coir perhaps every other use. This is where judgement and experience come in — you’re trying to maintain the proper balance between dry and moist. It’s not hard, but is a skill that gets better with experience.

We usually dump when it gets too hard to churn.
Thanks again Mike; will keep the coir in mind. As a matter of fact, I believe that is what Air Head recommends & ships with their product.

Tags
oil, posting