Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2017, 02:40   #151
cruiser

Re: Composting Toilet Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Your negative results are one of the very few I've ever heard. Why do you suppose that is? I think it was all dealt with early on, but I don't really care to go back to re-read it all.
Mike,

I'd like to ask a serious question regarding an issue already brought up by an unhappy camper using two composters.

When guests are onboard, how do you deal with diarrhea and vomit deposited in the composter, usually in copious amounts and many times at the same time? It's only natural that someone would run to the bathroom to make an emergency deposit when the need arrises. 'Seems like nightmare scenario that would greatly embarass the guest/guests; and these issues do come up more frequently than most would care to admit.

How do you deal with the aftermath especially if more than one person becomes sick? We push a button.... and you?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 03:35   #152

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

You can use airplane vomit bags or go over the reeling when sea sick ...
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 03:50   #153
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
You can use airplane vomit bags or go over the reeling when sea sick ...
So how is a guest supposed to poop diarrhea into an airplane vomit bag? And how do you expect guests to fight the natural urge to "run to the bathroom" when they suddenly become ill?

Besides.... your response doesn't answer the question posted: How does one deal with the aftermath of one or more guests becoming ill and making deposits into the composter? Without adding embarassment to their already uncomfortable situation.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 05:00   #154

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
What is truly bizarre is the degree you and a few others will go to to defend your kitty litter box.

You are obviously not "fine with disagreement", you will carry this thread to a hundred pages if necessary until anyone who doesn't agree with you gives up and goes away. Then you will feel like you "won".

In post #11, Peggie Hall, an internationally recognized authority on marine sanitation systems posted her professional opinion on supposed composting toilets. Go back and read it.

You and your friends have served up a lot of incorrect information here and ignored the reality I have posted. It's not about winning it's about reliable, correct information. You should be ashamed.

Ron, the only reason I even both to respond to you is because it is YOU who is spreading uninformed and dead-wrong information about these systems. You seem to be doing it out of some quasi-religious fervour to prevent people from using what an increasing number of people realize is an excellent alternative to standard marine heads.

Again, if you want to spout opinions about composting heads, at last make some effort to get actual cruising experience. There are real negatives to these systems, just as there are with standard marine heads. Yet I, nor other composter-users are on any crusade to convert you or others.

Unlike you, I came here to respond to specific questions that are within my experience. Why you are posting here is beyond me.
Old 29-08-2017, 05:10   #155

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Ron, the only reason I even both to respond to you is because it is YOU who is spreading uninformed and dead-wrong information about these systems. You seem to be doing it out of some quasi-religious fervour to prevent people from using what an increasing number of people realize is an excellent alternative to standard marine heads.

Again, if you want to spout opinions about composting heads, at last make some effort to get actual cruising experience. There are real negatives to these systems, just as there are with standard marine heads. Yet I, nor other composter-users are on any crusade to convert you or others.

Unlike you, I came here to respond to specific questions that are within my experience. Why you are posting here is beyond me.
I suspect a lot of things are beyond you.

I have plenty of actual cruising experience so that attempt at an insult is a bit uninformed.

Nobody yet has bothered to post how these heads actually work and nobody has answered my questions.

The traditional head/holding tank system is as painless as it can be. Easy and intuitive to use and easy to empty (or have emptied). You cannot make that statement about a composting head.

Again, production boats don't have composting heads and there is a reason for that. You cannot wiggle out of that one.

It's fine if you like your litter box, but it's not for everyone. It's not even for 90% of boaters. You are on the fringe with that one. That's fine with me, it's just the false claims that you are not that need rebuttal.
Old 29-08-2017, 05:12   #156

Quote:
Ron, the only reason I even both to respond to you ..............
Take me through the steps one by one. You walk through the head door, drop your drawers and then what? Start to disposal.
Old 29-08-2017, 05:13   #157

Quote:
No, it's not bizarre at all (as defined in the dictionary). Folks understand just fine. What you and a few others don't understand is, not everyone agrees with you that fiddling with pee and poop is one of the joys of boating.

We would rather have the freedom to use the toilet in the conventional way and have the pee and poop handled in the conventional way. That is, have it pumped out of our boats into a treatment system or pump it out where legal.
The conventional cesspool system has a lot more fiddling.

Composter:
- #1: Just go
- #2: Open trap door first, go, crank once, close trap door.

Conventional cesspool system:
- #1: Go, pump out, flip leaver pump some flush water, flip leaver, pump to drain.
- #2: Pump bowl full, go, pump out, flip switch, pump out...oops, didn't go down, flip leaver, pump more water into bowl...repeat until it eventually goes down...wait it's 3am... why is she still pumping 10 minutes after she got out of bed..."mike come fix this"...joy of joys dealing with poo at 3am....

The bizarre thing is people implying things that are the opposite of the facts.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 05:17   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Mike,

I'd like to ask a serious question regarding an issue already brought up by an unhappy camper using two composters.

When guests are onboard, how do you deal with diarrhea and vomit deposited in the composter, usually in copious amounts and many times at the same time? It's only natural that someone would run to the bathroom to make an emergency deposit when the need arrises. 'Seems like nightmare scenario that would greatly embarass the guest/guests; and these issues do come up more frequently than most would care to admit.

How do you deal with the aftermath especially if more than one person becomes sick? We push a button.... and you?

Well, it has never happened to me. But first off, it would take A LOT of diarrhea to quickly overwhelm a Nature's Head and probably Air Head. C-head might be more susceptible since its volume is smaller, but in all cases, it would require a lot of flow.

IF this happened to me I would initially add more coir. If it actually overwhelmed the pile I'd simply dump it and start a new one; a task I can accomplish in perhaps 15 minutes.

... but seriously, if someone was suffering that seriously I'd be headed for shore.

So, serious question Ken: what do you do if your thu-hull is compromisd? Or your batteries ll die and you have no power?

Or even more seriously, what do you do when you anchor in smaller, enclosed anchorages with little flow? I've just finished a 1800 miles cruise this year through some of the most stunning areas of the world. Your boat would not have been able follow us due to your direct overflow.

A composter system is designed to manage the outflows of two, perhaps three people full time. It's ok for larger loads over short periods, but that's not the way they are intended to be used.

If your boat routinely has more than three adults on board for extended periods, then a composter is not appropriate.
Old 29-08-2017, 05:25   #159
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

I have plenty of actual cruising experience so that attempt at an insult is a bit uninformed.

Nobody yet has bothered to post how these heads actually work and nobody has answered my questions.

The traditional head/holding tank system is as painless as it can be. Easy and intuitive to use and easy to empty (or have emptied). You cannot make that statement about a composting head.

Again, production boats don't have composting heads and there is a reason for that. You cannot wiggle out of that one.

It's fine if you like your litter box, but it's not for everyone. It's not even for 90% of boaters. You are on the fringe with that one. That's fine with me, it's just the false claims that you are not that need rebuttal.

You have no experience with composter and you show no motivation to absorb what people are telling you so stick with your cesspool and enjoy your boat
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 05:43   #160

Is this starting to feel like the Origo vs propane dialogue? If so lets fall back on the Pardey Principle of "we wanted to keep things as simple as possible" slightly adapted for 2017.

When informed opinions diverge, the tie breaker, for cruising boats, is the one with a majority score on:

- Less parts on the manufacturers part list

- No moving parts

- Does not depend on electricity (manual bypass OK)

- No per use consumables

- And at least 10 rabid defenders here on CF
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 05:43   #161

Quote:

First off, if you would stop tossing insults then perhaps you might receive fewer back...

But once again, your are wrong. If you actually bothered to do even the a modicum of research you'd find the survey I conducted a few months ago here on CF. Composter numbers were on par with direct discharge, each about 20% (if I recall correctly). So hardly a fringe, and likely growing as people come to see that they are superior to standard marine heads for small boat/small crew cruising.

But I can see there is no point trying to talk to you about this. You seem impervious to facts or information so I'll go play with Ken. At least he has a sense of humour about all this stuff.
Old 29-08-2017, 05:55   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The conventional cesspool system has a lot more fiddling.

Composter:
- #1: Just go
- #2: Open trap door first, go, crank once, close trap door.

Conventional cesspool system:
- #1: Go, pump out, flip leaver pump some flush water, flip leaver, pump to drain.
- #2: Pump bowl full, go, pump out, flip switch, pump out...oops, didn't go down, flip leaver, pump more water into bowl...repeat until it eventually goes down...wait it's 3am... why is she still pumping 10 minutes after she got out of bed..."mike come fix this"...joy of joys dealing with poo at 3am....

The bizarre thing is people implying things that are the opposite of the facts.
Doesn't it eventually get full? What then?
Old 29-08-2017, 05:57   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
You have no experience with composter and you show no motivation to absorb what people are telling you so stick with your cesspool and enjoy your boat
People haven't told me anything useful. The previous attempt left a lot out.
Old 29-08-2017, 06:01   #164

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Doesn't it eventually get full? What then?
Use the next head.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 06:02   #165
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
People haven't told me anything useful. The previous attempt left a lot out.

Please review the previous composter threads. Everything about the workings of the composting toilet are in there. And while reviewing those threads, please take a count of how many times you posted in them.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, posting