Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2020, 15:50   #1

Boat: Catalina 28 mkII
Composting Toilet - Catalina 28 MKII 1996

Hi there,

Has anyone out there put a composting toilet into a Catalina 28 MKII? I am having a tough time finding one small enough to fit. I would love any suggestions and recommendations.

The Nature's Head is the one I would like, but it's too wide/too deep.

Thanks so much,

Amanda
amandak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 17:05   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch
Re: Composting Toilet - Catalina 28 MKII 1996

What you want and what will fit may well be two different things. If you are really set on a composter, the C-Head is more likely to fit, both in foot print and height, than a Nature's Head. An even smaller footprint is the 5 gallon bucket sawdust toilet shown in the photo. This is in a Baba 30.

There are several composting toilet threads on the forum, your only option may be a custom designed one if the C-head can not fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baba.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	224700  
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 18:58   #3
Marine Service Provider

If your heart is set on a composting (actually dessiccating) system just 'cuz you've decided they're cool, ok. But if you've just had it with maintenance that the plumbing, holding tank and a marine toilet require, there's a simpler and much less expensive alternative worth considering.

On any boat much smaller than about 30' a self-contained system—an "MSD" portapotty--makes a lot of sense. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything including urine jugs off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model is household height and holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet and I'm not sure a "composter" can hold that much poop and organic material needed to absorb the liquid in solid waster (which, btw is about 75% water). No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

If this idea appeals to you, check out the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 19:12   #4

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I am fairly confident my nature's head and get me 50 poops. Two of us live aboard full time, both of us work from home, both of us have have a BM daily and we last about 3-4 weeks or more.

I looked towards chemical toilet(I think that is what a msd is?), But the idea again of solids/liquids fermenting in its own liquids still grossed me out - ever used a porta potty and had it 'splash' back at you? I think that type of experience turns me away from any sort of chemical toilets.

I'm not sure how the MSD toilet works, but this is something to think about
Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
If your heart is set on a composting (actually dessiccating) system just 'cuz you've decided they're cool, ok. But if you've just had it with maintenance that the plumbing, holding tank and a marine toilet require, there's a simpler and much less expensive alternative worth considering.

On any boat much smaller than about 30' a self-contained system—an "MSD" portapotty--makes a lot of sense. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything including urine jugs off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model is household height and holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet and I'm not sure a "composter" can hold that much poop and organic material needed to absorb the liquid in solid waster (which, btw is about 75% water). No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

--Peggie
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 19:29   #5

Quote:

--Peggie
Hello Peggie,

That is good advice, thank you, I'll Google it and learn as much as I can.

You are correct, I've had it with the holding tank and maintenance. I live aboard my boat and I am so sick of the smell and constant worry of where/when I am going to dump my sewage. It seems that my life revolves around the toilet! ha !

I live on anchor year round and don't always anchor in a place where there is a pump-out or safe and easy access to a place where I can legally dump. This winter I am anchored just off Discovery Passage in BC where the winds in the winter are often gusting 50kts for a week straight.

To be honest as well, I am super tired of nosy people that live near or around legal anchorages in federal water that accuse me of dumping my sewage into the water (which I do not do!) b/c they don't want boats anchoring where they walk their dogs once a month or have their summer properties.

After much reading I believe composting would be a much better option for me.

I read your book when I bought my first boat 10 or so years ago (a great great book that I have recommended to many boaters!) and since then have always flushed with fresh water, never raw water, so that definitely helps with the smell. The black water tank I have now (came with the boat) leaks at the top when it gets too full. I have had it repaired numerous times in the last 8 years, but it continues to leak. At this point I need to replace it entirely or just get rid of it and put in a composting toilet.

I guess... to sum it up... I am really tired of having poop on my boat.

Warmest regards,

Amanda
Old 05-10-2020, 19:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Jim View Post
What you want and what will fit may well be two different things. If you are really set on a composter, the C-Head is more likely to fit, both in foot print and height, than a Nature's Head. An even smaller footprint is the 5 gallon bucket sawdust toilet shown in the photo. This is in a Baba 30.

There are several composting toilet threads on the forum, your only option may be a custom designed one if the C-head can not fit.
I used the bucket system when I lived off-grid last winter and it worked well. I do want to install something a bit more 'civilized' on my boat as if I decide to sell it I think any future buyer would not want a bucket system .

I will Google the C-head and learn a bit more about it.

thanks!

Amanda
Old 05-10-2020, 20:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Hi Amanda!

If your sanitation system is still original equipment, I'm 99% certain you'll be a lot happier about having poop on your boat if you replaced the tank and hoses--and maybe even the toilet too, and modified the plumbing a bit. 'Cuz what's available today is a lot easier to maintain and keep odor-free than was available 24 years ago and doesn't have to cost you any more than a composter...possibly even less.

You're welcome to send me a PM if you'd like to explore your options...and btw, if you liked my first book, you'll love updated, revised and expanded 2nd edition (see link in my signature...just click on the title).

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 20:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandak View Post

I live on anchor year round and don't always anchor in a place where there is a pump-out or safe and easy access to a place where I can legally dump. This winter I am anchored just off Discovery Passage in BC where the winds in the winter are often gusting 50kts for a week straight.

To be honest as well, I am super tired of nosy people that live near or around legal anchorages in federal water that accuse me of dumping my sewage into the water (which I do not do!) b/c they don't want boats anchoring where they walk their dogs once a month or have their summer properties........................................ .....

Amanda,

I hear you and understand the issue with winter winds. Only question I have is why do you think those idiots would know what kind of head you have on your boat? Why would you think they'd change their stupid mis-impressions? They certainly can't tell from outside your boat what you have inside your boat, could they? Just curious. I applaud you for your concern about our environment, and their lack of understanding, or sanity.

Good luck in your decision making.

Stu
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 21:01   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandak View Post
Hi there,

Has anyone out there put a composting toilet into a Catalina 28 MKII? I am having a tough time finding one small enough to fit. I would love any suggestions and recommendations.

The Nature's Head is the one I would like, but it's too wide/too deep.
Hi Amanda, I too would recommend looking at a C-head. They have a smaller footprint than either Nature's or Air Head. But it's not hard to custom-make a composter as well.

For the record, we are two adults, full time for about 1/2 of the year. We typically go four to six weeks between dumps of the main bucket on our Nature's Head. We have pretty normal constitutions, so one usage per day per person is standard. You can do the math.

But C-head is smaller, so cycles will be shorter.

P.S. Love to hear how you're living. I've been thinking about moving my boat over and doing the same ... although it's a long haul from Newfoundland.
Old 05-10-2020, 23:31   #10

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

Quote:
I'm not sure a "composter" can hold that much poop and organic material needed to absorb the liquid in solid waster (which, btw is about 75% water).
This is a misleading statement from Peg. A composter doesn't soak up and doesn't store all the water from the solid waste. The drying medium just takes immediate care of the outer layer of the latest deposits.

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:39   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Amanda

for a single person, a sawdust toilet would go about a week before dumping. A C-head would require dumping urine every two days and feces maybe two weeks. A Nature's Head urine every 4 days and feces two months. Wet systems dump depending on the size of the tank. (All times are estimates)

All of these systems will work well. The sawdust is the simplest and least expensive to implement and remove if unsatisfactory. It is also the smallest in size but requires the most medium to operate. Composting toilets have an advantage that they do not become unusable if they become full. The contents can be stored in spare buckets and jugs.

If you have a reliable source of pine bedding pellets, the sawdust toilet may be a way to avoid making an immediate decision.

Good Old Boat magazine had a series of articles this year concerning composting toilets.

PM me if you wish more information about composting toilets.

Photo is a sawdust toilet in a Pearson 365.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010101.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	224716  
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:57   #12

Boat: sabre 28

I installed a C-Head on our Sabre 28. Size wise it fit in the same footprint. Takes some getting use to. My only advice, empty the urine container before sailing & be sure to ventilate it.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:33   #13

Quote:
If your heart is set on a composting (actually dessiccating) system just 'cuz you've decided they're cool, ok.
Funny thing to put it like this. Ok, they are super cool ...because choosing a composting toilet is a cold pragmatic trade off.

Pressing a button and flushshsh of course has its lure. But who, on smaller vessels, can afford to waste valuable space with a (large) holding tank and complicated plumbing? Stinking or not, this space is gone.

In some contributions it would be beneficial to know if "composting statements" are purely theoretical and/or if there is practical experience with NatureHead, AirHead, C-Head or other such systems involved.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:37   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 37

I would never trade a flush toilet for a dessicating one. Peggie is offering good advice - change your hoses and get a bigger tank, or go the MSD PP route. What the "composting" (they don't really compost) folks don't tell you is the amount of insects they attract, how they have to still constantly handle and dispose of urine (what do you do with that??), how they deal with diarrhea and liquidy stool, nor how they dispose of their feces when the "toilet" becomes full - it is NOT composted and is still considered human waste. I have been aboard boats with "composting" toilets and found them to be disgusting. Yet some people seem to love them - do yourself a favor and try one out before you change your whole system. You may not care for it.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
I installed a C-Head on our Sabre 28. Size wise it fit in the same footprint. Takes some getting use to.
Would you mind to describe a bit in detail what you mean with "takes some getting use to"? If it isn't too indiscreet. Thank you.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, oil, posting