Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2017, 14:44   #46

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa
Re: Clothes washer dryer for boaters

When at a marina ,stomping on my only pair of jeans and shirt while showering worked for me and at sea ?well? A major step up would be the Splendide 2100xc. Look it up. There is a near new one here on Used Vic for $650 WE had one in our condo in BKK and it pretty neat
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 15:08   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
We have installed a DWD-M301 WP, from Daewoo Electronics. Best thing is that it is just 16 kg in weight. It takes 3 kg of clothes and works at 240 volt. it spins at 700 rpm. The machine is wall mounted. We are using it since 4 months and are very satisfied.
Have you got it in Europe? It seem DAEWOO DWD-CV701PC is the same

http://www.but.fr/produits/73107/Lav...&xtor=AL-1008-[notype]-[269861]&SRC=8
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 15:30   #48

Boat: Leopard 40

We have a Panda washer/dryer (you still have to hang the clothes out). It's about 36lbs, washes fast, and well.

PM me if you want to know more about it.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 15:46   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

We use a Haier European apartment sized ventless washer-dryer. It does a home-level job of washing and gets the clothes so close to dry that spreading them out on a bunk finishes the job very quickly. It has an about 8K rpm spin cycle. The down sides are cost, water consumption, need to run the genset, small loads only, and its weighing 185 pounds. It was a bitch getting it down the forward ladder into the cabin. The ventless feature is odd- it has a condenser that dumps the moisture off the dry cycle down the drain.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 07:55   #50

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Maka,
When you get your Mega take a close look at the specs. From the Laundry Alternative site, it appears that it is only a 1600 rpm spinner.

The 3200 rpm Panda is a slightly smaller cylinder OD than the Mega and still holds 22#. Just to proportion how much it can hold, an extra large capacity front load is ~20-22# of clothes, while a std. capacity top load is ~12#.

You're correct that our spinner has a smaller capacity (~14#), but is still more capacity than needed for our 5 gal. bucket/wash machine.

The Mega should work fine since it's still more than 2x of a normal wash machine.

Happy washing.

Bill O.
Bill O
I looked again at the Amazon page....no where does it give the spin speed. Lesson learned ... never assume.
1600 is only 1/2 the speed of yours.
The good news is I can return it for a full refund.
Hate to try the Panda, an unknown / no reference product.
Guess I'll have to get on the wait list after all. (Sigh )
Thank you for the heads up.
Maka
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 05:33   #51

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Maka,
There were good reviews on Amazon for the Panda spinner, so probably would work well. It's a couple of inches bigger in size than ours, but has the higher capacity if you need it.

You don't hear about Panda much in the States but they do sell other combo wash machines elsewhere with good reviews.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 05:40   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

At different times we've used a range of options; now that we have a larger vessel we installed a Splendide with VENTED dryer. The washer works easily on the inverters, the dryer we only use with the genset running or at the dock. The high speed spin feature works wonders and clothes dry clipped to lifelines quite quickly. It's a matter of space. In our case the boat CAME with matching Sears washer and dryer so we figure we saved a LOT of space by installing the Splendide!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 06:00   #53

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

When we were in Cuba we had an old fashioned laundry tub on board. Although we did use it for laundry with a wash board the wife especially liked it because,

"she could take a bath"

Never been the same since we installed the washing machine.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 06:36   #54

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Here’s our tried and trusted clothes washer:

It really does work pretty well. Wash days we turn into the Beverly Hillbillies with shirts, pants and our unmentionables hanging off the rigging and lifelines.

BTW, the fastest way for me to become a solo sailor would be to even hint that washing clothes was my wife’s job .

Ooh..we have the same washer. I'm g like ad it works well. I haven't tried it yet.

As for automatic washers, I am the one who said no. But the mate has a penchant for jeans, those are hard to wash by hand. Thankfully he wears them until they can walk to the bucket by themselves. Trade off...he gets to make the bed because it's hard for me to lift the mattress. (I'm not certified for confined spaces anyway!)
Old 18-01-2017, 08:38   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
At different times we've used a range of options; now that we have a larger vessel we installed a Splendide with VENTED dryer. The washer works easily on the inverters, the dryer we only use with the genset running or at the dock. The high speed spin feature works wonders and clothes dry clipped to lifelines quite quickly. It's a matter of space. In our case the boat CAME with matching Sears washer and dryer so we figure we saved a LOT of space by installing the Splendide!
We have one of these as well and use it the same way as you .

On the inverter a wash only uses 29 amp hours , and very little water , depends how you load it .

Great little machine !

Regards John Tully
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote